Yojumbo Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Yojumbo Impressions

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I picked up the sprint and really like the knife but it has the worst lost stick of any comp lock model I own . Operation past trying to open is smooth and closing , centering and finish is outstanding. I hope to resolve the issue but definitely not happy with the dealer I purchase the Yojumbo knife from since every knife in the past have been great . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:59 pm
I picked up the sprint and really like the knife but it has the worst lost stick of any comp lock model I own . Operation past trying to open is smooth and closing , centering and finish is outstanding. I hope to resolve the issue but definitely not happy with the dealer I purchase the Yojumbo knife from since every knife in the past have been great . Dan
i experienced same with the teal pm2 a few mos ago. contacted spyderco and mailed it back with the enclosed $5 and received it back in less than 2 weeks, repaired and along with my $5.
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

Any suggestions on where to get some scales for the Yojumbo? Looking for something a little more gentle on the pockets.
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://wabisabicraftworks.patternbyets ... r-spyderco

saw some brown micarta scales on ebay at one point but they're long gone.
:unicorn
max808

Post by max808 »

ajl808 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 am
Any suggestions on where to get some scales for the Yojumbo? Looking for something a little more gentle on the pockets.
yojumbolovespantsforbreakfast001.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

max808 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:47 am
ajl808 wrote:
the yojumbo gives the pants so much character
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
vivi

Post by vivi »

it's weird how much more wear cotton based fabrics show vs nylon. my chef pants hold up fine to the yojumbo.
max808

Post by max808 »

huyfishin wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:12 pm
max808 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:47 am
ajl808 wrote:
the yojumbo gives the pants so much character
Agreed, these are a fresh pair of shorts too from a couple months ago.
:cheap-sunglasses
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

A6089D8B-2A3C-4C5C-BB5E-C7FB1FBFE4D8.jpeg
03BE1E9B-A22B-4C88-ACC8-EFAD4781DBE0.jpeg
I’m quite happy with mine. I did knock back the G10 a bit, and smooth the edges and finger hump.
It doesn’t want to centre naturally after disassembly but I can get it close with some playing around.
It does have a noticeably stronger/crisper detent release than I’m used to on my other Spyderco’s, thinking of my Canis especially.
Andrew
vivi

Post by vivi »

I thought about doing something similar. Definitely rounding the corners of the g10 someday.
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

Rounding the edges has definitely helped. For me taking the peak of the hump has made the most improvement.
Andrew
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I bought the Yojumbo in S90V primarily as I loved the look of the thing and it ticked my 'around 4 inch blade and a compression lock' preferences for work. I didn't expect if to become my go to, but it has blown most of my other knives clean out of the water. Funnily enough it is particularly excellent for grafting fruit trees and carving - the grind on it makes it like a lightsaber through green wood. I'm a trainer for a Forest School accreditation body and i've started recommending them to folk as the ideal staff Forest School utility knife.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
max808

Post by max808 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Welcome to the family Dan! I kinda like the lock stick on it and even after defeating the loctite on mine and stiffening it up a bit, it hasn't misfired once.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

max808 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:37 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Welcome to the family Dan! I kinda like the lock stick on it and even after defeating the loctite on mine and stiffening it up a bit, it hasn't misfired once.
Thanks Max . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:21 am
I bought the Yojumbo in S90V primarily as I loved the look of the thing and it ticked my 'around 4 inch blade and a compression lock' preferences for work. I didn't expect if to become my go to, but it has blown most of my other knives clean out of the water. Funnily enough it is particularly excellent for grafting fruit trees and carving - the grind on it makes it like a lightsaber through green wood. I'm a trainer for a Forest School accreditation body and i've started recommending them to folk as the ideal staff Forest School utility knife.
Always cool to hear about others experience using this design for utility work. I know it's designed with defensive applications in mind but it really excels for utility jobs too.

I like having enough handle real estate for multiple grips despite not choil. I can get my index and middle finger in the first contour for a high leverage power grip, or place just my index there for a little more reach.

One thing I learned with small knives like the UKPK is sometimes I don't want my hand right next to the cutting edge. It's a lot easier for me to accidentally slice my thumb on some cardboard etc. that way. So it's nice having the option to grip further back.

Black Friday sale drove home to me how much I like the design. I was tempted by a lot of knives, like the lil temp lw, sirens and more. But when I really thought about what I'm most likely to use out of the sale knives, the yojumbo and aqua salt were my answers.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI have noticed that thumb placement is critical, if opening more horizontal in hole opposed to top of hole it does reduce resistance. Still have plans to make some adjustment to lock . I am definitely not going to give up on this knife, it is so impressive. Dan
Henry David Thoreau
max808

Post by max808 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:40 pm
ImageI have noticed that thumb placement is critical, if opening more horizontal in hole opposed to top of hole it does reduce resistance. Still have plans to make some adjustment to lock . I am definitely not going to give up on this knife, it is so impressive. Dan
Nice pic Dan, the shadow looks like an apex predator stalking prey. How is the grind near the tip on yours?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi Max ! The grind on blade is perfect as overall finish. Thank you for pic compliment, just a hasty shot in landscape in backyard. I like shadow shots myself 😉 Dan
Henry David Thoreau