pocket ceramic for serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: pocket ceramic for serrations

Post by Blerv »

I adore my 701’s. Thanks for the good news, Sal!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:18 pm
I have the 400F set, which is very useful (especially the slip Yab mentions) and pocketable (maybe not a back pocket), but this set is not the 701 ProFile set that JD has long championed (and I missed out on).

I don’t know if the “New ProFile set” Sal mentions will be anything like the 701, but we can hope. Check out the original ProFile’s profile here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83829&p=1328611&hil ... e#p1328813
I've had two sets of those 400F files for quite some time now. I have used the one Yablanowitz spoke of but it's been a while.

I've yet to find a sharpening job for a serrated edge ( most of them anyway) that the 701 Profile couldn't do a great job on. Now they do require just a bit of patience because it takes a bit of time to bring a dinged up set of serrations but I usually do the job while watching a football game or a movie I'm intrigued with. It's a good way to get you through the nauseating commercials that those games are plagued with.

That is sensational news Mr. Glesser that you all decided to resurrect such a great sharpening tool ( 701 Profiles). You Sir are the "Nikola Tesla" of sharpening tools. I'm extremely anxious to see what else is coming down the product pipeline in the sharpening tool sector.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:27 am

Hi JD,

New ProFile set in-the-works - 3 pcs. Out soon

sal
If that 3rd piece is diamond or CBN, count me in for a set or two.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:09 am
sal wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:27 am

Hi JD,

New ProFile set in-the-works - 3 pcs. Out soon

sal
If that 3rd piece is diamond or CBN, count me in for a set or two.
I’ve been imagining this possibility and going for two.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Takuan wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:44 pm
I keep a Lansky Spyder sharpener in my tackle box (https://lansky.com/index.php/products/spyder-sharpener/) and I have a second one for my get-home bag. It does a great job of free-hand sharpening Spyderedge knives because the three different points of its “triangle” shape are designed to be perfect fits for (1) the large Spyderedge scallop, (2) the small Spyderedge scallop, and (3) a general purpose point like a Sharpmaker stone. The flats of the stone are also good for sharpening plain edge knives and it has a groove for hook sharpening. My serrated Spydercos are virtually all H1, so it provides a nice, toothy edge in no time flat.
I have one in my travel bag, they are nice for on the fly touch up, but a few very light strokes
As they are a medium grit and work faster then the spyderco triangle fine

Pro tip is have a magic marker and stop when the ink is gone from the scallops

https://youtu.be/FjAVUT1EOiQ
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
hvarcz

Post by hvarcz »

No, no, no,

this is for serrations -
https://youtu.be/UzpAx1Yx5x4

round stick between and "heart" shape for teeth. You can use marker, if you want.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:35 am
To add to the information provided by Yablanowitz, Spyderco also currently makes and sells a small file set that seems to fly way under the radar.

The 400F Ceramic File Set

The files are small but would still work to sharpen a knife. The set includes the Teardrop file linked above, a circular rod, a square rod, and a triangle rod.

This file set seems like one of those products they make that not many people even know about. None the less, I’m intrigued to see the nee set Spyderco has in the works.
I have two sets of those model 400F ceramic files. They are an extremely handy tool for all kinds of metalworking. My only objection to those is they are so small in scale compared to the original Spyderco 701 Profiles. But I do highly recommend everyone to get a set of these 400F files.

I've also heard that for Dentists they are great for them to sharpen many of their dental tools. I can attest that they are great for almost any kind of metal working. You can't go wrong with any of Spyderco's great sharpening tools.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I can attest to the handiness of the 400F set. But, having missed the original 701 Profiles, I’m stoked for the reworked ones.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”