Spyderco Fillet knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
huyfishin

Spyderco Fillet knife!

Post by huyfishin »

I'm curious why Spyderco does not have a dedicated fixed blade fillet knife? Most blades on the market are lower grade and after a few fish you gotta touch up the blades. I have friends that work in fish processing plants (currently using victorinox fillet knives) and they ask me what they should get since they have to keep on sharpening blades.

Not long ago I was at a fish cleaning table after a fishing trip and a saw a guy with his beautiful looking bubba blade. But he couldn't cut through anything lol.
Great marketing from bubba but its 8CR13MOV stainless steel which is annoying when you want to get the job done. nice grip and ergonomics on it though.

Gerber controllers are 9cr18MoV which is ok very nice grip and ergonomics

dexter russell high carbon steel is inexpensive which works but needs to be dried after each use and coated with veggie oil.

North Arm knives here in Canada makes a real nice fillet knife in s35vn with G10 or carbon fiber handles.(apparently changing to magnacut soon) super bougie fillet knife.

When will I see a nice flexible magnacut fillet knife! 6 inch and 9 inch model with a signature hole in it! I'll buy it in a heartbeat
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
huyfishin

Re: Spyderco Fillet knife!

Post by huyfishin »

Full tang. This is my design LOL
fillet knife.jpg
fillet knife.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

They could just make the upcoming m398 mule a fillet knife and we can test the knife and the steel all at once!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

They used to make one, the K06 Filet Knife.

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... ilet_Knife

I agree though, I would love to see a new one as well. With Magnacut in the salt series now, it certainly seems use appropriate. Makes me wonder how thin they could take it.

———

A while back Sal made a post about a small box of K06 Filet knives he found and wanted to do a giveaway with them. I was incredibly fortunate to be among the lucky handful of winners.

It was made by Masahiro in Seki, Japan. It’s MBS-26 High Carbon Stainless steel and has a 6" flexible blade.

- Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:34 am
They used to make one, the K06 Filet Knife.

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... ilet_Knife

I agree though, I would love to see a new one as well. With Magnacut in the salt series now, it certainly seems use appropriate. Makes me wonder how thin they could take it.

———

A while back Sal made a post about a small box of K06 Filet knives he found and wanted to do a giveaway with them. I was incredibly fortunate to be among the lucky handful of winners.

It was made by Masahiro in Seki, Japan. It’s MBS-26 High Carbon Stainless steel and has a 6" flexible blade.

Yep! We have one too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

huyfishin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:16 am

North Arm knives here in Canada makes a real nice fillet knife in s35vn with G10 or carbon fiber handles.(apparently changing to magnacut soon) super bougie fillet knife.

When will I see a nice flexible magnacut fillet knife! 6 inch and 9 inch model with a signature hole in it! I'll buy it in a heartbeat
The 6" version of the knife already comes in MagnaCut. The price, even though high compared to other fillet knives, is not bad at all.

Foster of Sweden has a few options using 12C27 that are not bad.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

My experience with a few of the Spyderco kitchen knives is that a fillet knife in BD1N would be fantastic. My Zcut has been less rust prone than my MBS 26 and when ground thin the BD1N is very flexible.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

These old rapalas from Finland were passed down and on their 3rd generations. They hold an edge great, but I have no idea what steel they are from.

They make short work fileting trout though. I use newer cheap knives on the walleye, but that Finnish steel cuts like butter on the slick fish, and has a great bend and flex to it as well
Attachments
Resized_Resized_20220804_214404.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20220804_214348.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20220804_214412.jpeg
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

After all these years, I would assume that Sal has Phil Wilson on speed dial, but no joy. :disappointed :crying-face
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well you all know how I am with GOLDEN ERA models ( 1998-2004). At this point I would love it if they would bring back an improved, upscale version of the CATCHERMAN model. Luckily I have the fully serrated AUS-8 version which in my humble opinion was the best CATCHERMAN model they ever made.

The CATCHERMAN folding fillet knife was one they got absolutely right to begin with. Also I'm find that a folding fillet knife rides in a fishing tackle box better than most fixed blade models do.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:39 am
Well you all know how I am with GOLDEN ERA models ( 1998-2004). At this point I would love it if they would bring back an improved, upscale version of the CATCHERMAN model. Luckily I have the fully serrated AUS-8 version which in my humble opinion was the best CATCHERMAN model they ever made.

The CATCHERMAN folding fillet knife was one they got absolutely right to begin with. Also I'm find that a folding fillet knife rides in a fishing tackle box better than most fixed blade models do.
A catcherman would be real nice!!! I still want a nice full tang fixed blade though!
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

15-20+ years ago Spyderco had a fillet knife project in the works with Phil Wilson, the King of fillet knives. I remember seeing several generations of prototypes, maybe two sizes, but the project was put on the back burner, perhaps due to the then perceived high cost. Today, with renewed interest due to better consumer education and perceived value, perhaps the project can be reviewed for consideration. :thinking

I believe there is a small, but dedicated niche for better fillet knives on par with the best Spyderco ClipIts and kitchen cutlery.

nb
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'm considering both QuietCarry Pilot and Benchmade Meatcrafter.
There are probably others I could add to that playoff, and I would love to see an option from Spyderco, but the point is... there are already options that looks quite decent and Spyderco is late to the game.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:47 am
15-20+ years ago Spyderco had a fillet knife project in the works with Phil Wilson, the King of fillet knives. I remember seeing several generations of prototypes, maybe two sizes, but the project was put on the back burner, perhaps due to the then perceived high cost. Today, with renewed interest due to better consumer education and perceived value, perhaps the project can be reviewed for consideration. :thinking

I believe there is a small, but dedicated niche for better fillet knives on par with the best Spyderco ClipIts and kitchen cutlery.

nb
I've always wondered why this didn't come to fruition. Seems like such an ideal marriage or collaboration. So many of us will not get to know the joy of using a Phil Wilson fillet either because of cost or the extreme backlog. Neither Sal or Phil are getting any younger and it would be a shame if a collaborative filet knife didn't come to pass. Without reservation, it would be the knife I would like most to see in the queue. (2 sizes please) :winking-tongue
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would like to have a high quality production fillet knife too, but like any knife, there are many styles and design options from which to choose. Though there is some conformity within the United States and Europe, when you start looking at various countries and cultures, styles of fillet knives can vary wildly. Watch some videos of the Japanese fish mongers filleting big Tuna. They use very different designs but no one will question their proficiency after watching a couple of those videos.

Personally, I prefer slightly shorter, wider, semi rigid designs as I find them more suited to my technique. I can fillet any fish in the ocean with a 6”-7” fillet. As far as flex, one of the reasons for having a more flexible fillet knife is being able to keep the edge flat to the cutting board for skinning. That can also be accomplished though by having an edge that is lower than the handle (think the Z-cut). I also tend to like wider blades as they cut nice and straight/flat when gliding over the rib line.

Another advantage of the type of fillet knives I use is that (due to the blade width, rigidity and edge location) they make excellent kitchen knives too. My fillet knife is also my designated kitchen knife. I love that because it’s a lot easier for me to justify dropping a couple hundred dollars on a knife that will be more than “just a fillet knife”.