I'm in love with Cru-wear.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: I'm in love with Cru-wear.

Post by RustyIron »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15 pm
if the Crewcarta one is in high demand lol. But I don't like the look TBH. I respect it but not my taste.

I feel the same. I've not handled any Spycarta knives, but I'm leery after reading reports of how it gets a "distressed" look and seeing pictures on the interwebs. Some knives look downright shabby. I like my knives to look clean. People already think I'm an oddball when I whip out a giant toad-sticker to cut my cake at a posh restaurant. If the knife looks as if it just skinned a possum, I'd be afraid of being thrown out.

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:32 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15 pm
if the Crewcarta one is in high demand lol. But I don't like the look TBH. I respect it but not my taste.
I feel the same. I've not handled any Spycarta knives, but I'm leery after reading reports of how it gets a "distressed" look and seeing pictures on the interwebs. Some knives look downright shabby.
I agree too. I have a lot of PM2 in standard G10 but I like the looks of polished G10 (and polished linen micarta), especially contoured polished G10.

I think Cruwear is a good steel. I've had some good knives in D2 and I like D2, Cruwear is a relative of D2. It's odd that some of the same people that like Cruwear would look down their noses at D2.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

The thing that threw me off seeing on videos then after getting to hold one was the way the cutout is different right below the compression button. If you know what I'm saying. And out of fear of staining that. As I'm hoping to go back to heavy equipment and don't wanna get it oily lol.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm
The thing that threw me off seeing on videos then after getting to hold one was the way the cutout is different right below the compression button. If you know what I'm saying. And out of fear of staining that. As I'm hoping to go back to heavy equipment and don't wanna get it oily lol.
You're telling me you think the brand new one on the left, looks better than the naturally worn one on the right!? Micarta looks, and also feels so much better with some wear and use!! New micarta is scratchy and dry. I work on a dirty warehouse myself, those worn scales feel incredible!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:14 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm
You're telling me you think the brand new one on the left, looks better than the naturally worn one on the right!? Micarta looks, and also feels so much better with some wear and use!! New micarta is scratchy and dry. I work on a dirty warehouse myself, those worn scales feel incredible!

Ya the worn one does look nice actually.
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but if you haven't handled some nice worn in, dirty micarta scales that over time your hand and fingers have made those areas smoother, but oddly grippier (at least in my experiences)... then you're cheating yourself. Of course, only my personal opinion!

-Rick
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I like sealing the raw micarta with a combination of oil and wax. Kind of speeds up the transformation and makes it a bit more water repellent.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:14 pm
You're telling me you think the brand new one on the left, looks better than the naturally worn one on the right!?
That "used" one sure does look good.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:56 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 am

I would also love to see a Sprint Run of the "Dodo" model in CRUWEAR too.

Now you are speaking my language! A Cru-carta Dodo is a dream knife!
Yeah the only stipulation I would have with that is for the Dodo Cruwear Sprint Run to be made available in SE & PE just like we accomplished with the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run.

It's nothing short of incredible how versatile of a "USER" type folder the Dodo is for it's blade size. And with a Cruwear blade it would be the best Dodo model they ever would come up with IMO.

The Dodo is Eric Glessers "Crown Jewel" for sure.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like the Cruwear and micarta combo and used looks better than new, usually. A little mineral oil speeds that along and protects the blade some.

I feel silly saying I love Cruwear and micarta when others will call you a steel snob for not admitting S30v and black G10 is all you need. :rofl
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:43 am
I like the Cruwear and micarta combo and used looks better than new, usually. A little mineral oil speeds that along and protects the blade some.

I feel silly saying I love Cruwear and micarta when others will call you a steel snob for not admitting S30v and black G10 is all you need. :rofl
Kinda like everything else we buy. Looking for different features we like and enjoy. Picking out the model that has the most features we want. I do not see why knife buying is any different. I think S30V is great. Black is fine. I also really want some Cruwear and really like Micarta. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep being persistent. You shouldn't feel silly.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just want gold bar scales with an 8cr13mov blade to keep the cost down.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Does anyone have pick of worn in PM2 Crewcarta?

-Tom
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Love CruWear in the CruCarta PM2. Fantastic knife!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
benben

Post by benben »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:10 am
i just want gold bar scales with an 8cr13mov blade to keep the cost down.
In a Manix 2! ;)
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Cruwear is the business.
I fell in love with the idea of it when reading about the toughness, but I fell in love with the steel itself the first time I sharpened it.
Incredibly responsive on the stones, probably the best feedback I’ve ever experienced, sharpens fast and easy to get scary sharp.

As for the Crucarta PM2, that knife is awesome!
I love the micarta scales. Reminds me of when you first get a natural vegetable tanned leather belt. It looks so plain and unattractive at first, but then with wear & time it turns into a thing of beauty that’s uniquely yours.
D995EA17-E736-40BC-902C-3CEA2C97D778.jpeg
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Not sure I fully agree with this one…
BBEB4F59-BB2C-4BD0-A1A8-CFE0E4FF78E3.jpeg
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

All different kinds, all pretty great in their own way. Oddly these happen to be some of my favorite knives as well. Micarta is always a great choice!

-Rick
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Now I think I want the Crewcarta PM2. Lolol. I almost regret not getting it when it came available the other day. But. I couldn't have known at the time lol.

-Tom
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Count me as one who really likes Cruwear. I have been there from the beginning back when we here were asking Sal to make a trial run. I even sent him a sheet of Cruwear I was given by the good people at Niagara. That was the older ingot version which was good but like most steels the PM version is better.

Sal was already familiar with it but he humored me and ran off the first mule team which is now history. Things have progressed since then. I guesses Cruwear's balanced properties would be welcomed here by the forum-ites because they are pretty knowledgeable and have been around long enough to know what they need and like in their steel and edges..

I still want a Cruwear Endura. I won't retire from buying knives if I get one but it will be welcome after all these years of waiting.

Joe