Spderco brand lanyardop, please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bob_Patterson

Spderco brand lanyardop, please

Post by Bob_Patterson »

Sorry for the rookie question, Iwanted to get your more experienced opinions, on using lanyards in general, and what you thoughts might be regarding these two options from Spyderco? I carry alternately a PM2 or a Para3. Thanks! :thinking
D8575D44-EB7D-4D13-9CF2-F84AF8275749.jpeg
5706F275-3CD9-4195-97FD-8838CEB87D50.jpeg
5706F275-3CD9-4195-97FD-8838CEB87D50.jpeg (16 KiB) Viewed 764 times
spydergoat

Re: Spderco brand lanyardop, please

Post by spydergoat »

I'm not a lanyard user, but I would recommend looking at the "which spyderco is in your pocket today" thread and and there you can get an idea of how many people are using lanyards and what kinds.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like the look of lanyards but i always find them in my way in use. the only exception has been on small knives where a good fob gives a little more to hang on to. currently, the only lanyard i use is on my ladybug and i made it with a double loop so i can clip it to things if i want.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Nice lanyard on the Ladybug. Don't use them myself.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have lanyards on a few knives. But they're so easy to tie there's no reason to buy one and then find you don't like it.

Head over to Instructables and check out the various weaves like the cobra knot and make a few to try.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Danke wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:52 am
I have lanyards on a few knives. But they're so easy to tie there's no reason to buy one and then find you don't like it.

I agree with this take...

Tying the lanyard and trying all the different knots is half the fun, but in the end, I don't have a lanyard on anything other than my Golok II and LTWK Pronghorn...

I can understand the functionality on the bugs, but generally I only find them useful on fixed blades.

On a Para, it would just be in the way...
So it goes.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I tie my own fobs from time to time, but always end up removing them. A lanyard is, strictly speaking, a means of attaching the knife to the user or another object, whereas a fob is a means of grasping the knife more quickly or securely. The only time I use lanyards is when in my kayak, on a pier, or otherwise over water. I dislike them even then, but it's better than losing the knife.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

When you’re 40ft up a ladder: losing a tool and it dropping on someone’s head is not on. Or being out and about in the woods, or on a dock, or a boat. This is why lanyard attachments are almost ubiquitous in the knife world.

It always sucks to lose a tool, or a knife, but sometimes; it Really sucks.

A lot of people seem to hate lanyard holes.

I personally am not a fan of the current Victorinox implementation, would much rather have a hollow rivet, but; I do not grind that little tab off because I know there will come a time when that pesky little tab will come in handy.

I read a review of the Dragonfly somewhere, Amazon? maybe? The guy was bummed because he lost his knife in the ocean. He was *****ing and moaning about the pocket clip not retaining his Dragonfly. All I could think to myself was, “lanyard hole”.

Use ‘em or lose ‘em.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:23 am
I tie my own fobs from time to time, but always end up removing them. A lanyard is, strictly speaking, a means of attaching the knife to the user or another object, whereas a fob is a means of grasping the knife more quickly or securely. The only time I use lanyards is when in my kayak, on a pier, or otherwise over water. I dislike them even then, but it's better than losing the knife.
Thank you for saving me my usual "shall we discuss the difference between lanyards and fobs" post.

For what it's worth, I had a couple of those beads on a key fob for a few years. The four sided square bead held up well, the round one they sold back then did not fare as well. I have one of the Spyderco fobs pictured still in the bag on my desk. It's never been on a knife.
Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

Well, that’s $31 I’ll never see again!! For that much I could have gone into business making them! This is why I always try to locate a forum for each new hobby/endeavor. I’m actually on a beard and mustache forum, a pool&billiard forum and a pipe smoking forum. Talk about some random stuff. Now, years later, I’ve become pretty knowledgeable, but ****, I’ve always learned from some very embarrassing and very costly mistakes. Thanks for all your inputs. For those contemplating a similar idea, Youtube is loaded with really easily understood tutorials. Talk about remarkable profit margins for a few minutes of work!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bob_Patterson wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:59 am
Well, that’s $31 I’ll never see again!! For that much I could have gone into business making them! Talk about remarkable profit margins for a few minutes of work!
You must not think your time is worth much. Other than that, all I'm going to say is "Prove it. I promise to buy your 10,000th piece for $31.00."