Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

JD Spydo

Re: Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:56 am
The Spyderhawk is truly a Salt series. The only choice would be a FFG MagnaCut.
Yeah it's pretty much known as a SALT SERIES model for some time now. But that wasn't always the case. Because when they first released it back in 2004 it had a VG-10 blade. And I still own and occasionally use one of my VG-10 Spyderhawk models.

Also the plain edged version of the Spyderhawk is getting extremely hard to find even with the H-1 bladed units. And you might as well forget finding one of the original VG-10 units in PE. Because there wasn't that many made to begin with. I did like when they used to do the PE and SE with different colored handles ( Blue PE and Black SE).

The Spyderhawk model just refuses to die.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

You had me at “It’s a Spyderco” basically the hawk bill is bonus at that point.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
vivi

Post by vivi »

nope.

I had the original run and sold it then regretted it.

Asked for it to come back.

It did.

I bought the orange version.

Carried it a few times and couldn't find anything it did better than a SE Pacific Salt.

The blade shape means any time I carry it I'd need to carry another knife, and I prefer just carrying one.

So I sold it and have mostly moved on from hawkbills.
:unicorn
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:36 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:56 am
The Spyderhawk is truly a Salt series. The only choice would be a FFG MagnaCut.
Yeah it's pretty much known as a SALT SERIES model for some time now. But that wasn't always the case. Because when they first released it back in 2004 it had a VG-10 blade. And I still own and occasionally use one of my VG-10 Spyderhawk models.

Also the plain edged version of the Spyderhawk is getting extremely hard to find even with the H-1 bladed units. And you might as well forget finding one of the original VG-10 units in PE. Because there wasn't that many made to begin with. I did like when they used to do the PE and SE with different colored handles ( Blue PE and Black SE).

The Spyderhawk model just refuses to die.
Definitely serrated, definitely. :cheap-sunglasses
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Im obliged to suggest that 'some' of them be PE.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Re: Will the Spyderhawk be available again?

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Hi Tnguyeumbc,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread for demand.

sal

The absence of a Spyderhawk 2 Salt SE from the production lineup is one of the biggest, if not the biggest hole in an INCREDIBLY broad, deep, and diverse Seki lineup. I'd love to see this and the Endela-hawk Salt SE get added to the production lineup. I'd be good with either H1 SE or LC200N SE. I actually just picked up an extra Spyderhawk H1 Sprint off the secondary market last week, which is the first knife I have paid secondary market prices for in a LONG LONG time. That is saying something!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

I presented the concept to /staff. Yes it's possible, though it would be a while. There is a long queue for our models in Seki. The Steels for Salts are coming of age. H1 is still the closest to 100%, but we also have; LC200N, Magnacut, and maybe even more in the future. What would be preferred? All have advantages and disadvantages.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Magnacut is really compelling.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Still H1 for me, but any of the three would work.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I should add, I really do want to try Magnacut. I have not yet. I just doubt anything is better than H1 SE. PE, go for it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:13 am
A SPYDERHAWK with a "Magnacut" blade would be very intriguing IMO. I also find the concept of a "SPYDERHAWK 2" in the works is great news if it comes to fruition. I've been an avid "Hawkbill Fan" for quite some time now and I believe it's one sector of Spyderco's great line up that sure has a lot of possibilities.

It's been said in the past that Hawkbill blades don't really rank high on the sales charts. But I think that could change for the better if more people knew what Hawkbill blades can provide. Because "pull cutting" is much safer in many applications and so many people have yet to learn the advantages that Hawkbill blades can provide for certain cutting jobs.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd like to see magnacut PE.
z1r

Post by z1r »

The oldest SE Hawkbill. Slightly off topic but hey...

5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

z1r wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:13 am
The oldest SE Hawkbill. Slightly off topic but hey...

Hold my latte

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:41 am
I presented the concept to /staff. Yes it's possible, though it would be a while. There is a long queue for our models in Seki. The Steels for Salts are coming of age. H1 is still the closest to 100%, but we also have; LC200N, Magnacut, and maybe even more in the future. What would be preferred? All have advantages and disadvantages.

sal

If you went with LC200N or Magnacut would you do a FFG Hawkbill? I am wondering how that would perform. Could be interesting. If they would be sabre ground regardless, I would probably just stick with H1 in the Hawkbills.

The upgraded handle is the biggest thing for me. H1 SE in a Pac Salt 2 handle would be great. Same thing for an H1 SE Endela-hawk in a new linerless Endela handle.

For colors, I like the Orange, with a TiCN option if possible. Blacked out would also be great to match my H1 SE Pac Salt 2.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

I already own one Spyderhawk, but I wouldn't mind another one in my collection. An Endelahawk certainly sounds nice!
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I’d like a FFG Tasman Salt SE, so that would mean MagnaCut or LC200N. Of the two, I’d prefer MagnaCut. The idea of an Endela Salt Hawkbill also has some appeal, but the Spyderhawk is too large for me.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
z1r

Post by z1r »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:13 am
I agree. I think a relaunch of sorts would benefit from all the attention Magnacut is getting. Like a previous poster mentions, maybe offer the PE in Magnacut and leave the SE in H1 if that doesn't complicate things.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I’d love to see the Spyderhawk in a FFG Pe format. I’ve always understood H1 has to be hollow ground commercially and in PE format it’s just ok for edge retention. (I just read z1r’s post after writing this, agreed!)

I still have the orange SE and will never sell it. I’d definitely buy a different one. Maybe in a copper or bronze handle? (JK, Sal!)

PS: I bugged Spyderco a lot for that years ago. Pretty sure these days it would have become a meme.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Salty steels seem to do well with teeth so the $64,000 question is how does FFG Magnacut do with teeth? I am going to guess that Spyderco has/is doing research on the matter. Inquiring minds want to know.