Rockjumper opinions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Rockjumper opinions?

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 am
For the given handle, it comes about as close as possible to achieving that.

Adding 7mm or .3” to the Rockjumper blade is too generous and would extend the blade past the end of the handle when it’s closed.

This is the closest photo I could find of a closed Rockjumper with one scaled removed. This photo is from Evil D’s Rockjumper Comparison thread and as far as I can tell the blade is fully seated while closed.
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:23 pm
The tip of the blade is visible under the tape. That blade only has about another 1/8”(.125”) or roughly 3mm before it’s completely bottomed out at the very end of the handle. It probably only has about a 1/16” (.0625”) or about 1.6mm of handle space that they could safely extend the blade.

I guess to your point though, the blade could technically fill the handle a little more than it currently does. It’s just such a small amount it’s negligible. Unless it’s for legal reasons, that amount of blade length will never make a difference in any real world situation.

Well, if you actually read through Davids thread, he says himself that "they could have easily (!) squeezed 1/4 inch of blade in the handle" (so this would be between 6 and 7 mm), see here viewtopic.php?p=1456673#p1456643.

This is what I actually and physically measured myself too of course, otherwise I would not say so. See my comparison pic Stretch 1 / Rock Jumper below. [EDIT: I measured 6 to 7 mm indeed, but there is a slight possibility that this is my Endela vs Stretch 1 pic , and not my RJ vs Stretch 1 pic. Have to check later!]

6 mm edge is the difference between a Para 3 and a Manix 2 LW, 7mm even more . Not nothing, and certainly "a real world difference"... at least in a world where people are enough into knives to find a difference between VG10 and S30V, or G10 and FRN.
For me 6 mm difference in cutting edge is noticeable.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Even in my current Wharnie-obsessed phase (4 Delicas/Salts, an Endela, a Dfly, and a Manbug) I still can't get past the lack of Boye Dent and Jimping on the Rock Jumper. I can't. I won't. Looks like a nice knife otherwise.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I have a PE Rockjumper. Got it to try, carried it and used it exclusively for a bit over a month.
Now, I did thin it behind the edge and sand that hump off that back that serves no functional purpose that I can see.

I lean toward it being slightly "smallish" (in my hand, in my use).
While handle is very, very close to the Stretch 1, the two feel VASTLY different in hand. I was surprised how different they felt in hand, compared to how similar they are. But, this isn't about the awesome Stretch 1.

While it did do everything I required of it... I too found that I prefer a blade with some belly (over the straight edged "wharncliffe") and that - that (blade with belly) also works better for me for the VAST majority of how & what I use a knife for.
The one thing that I found the Rockjumper wharncliffe did better (to me, in my hand & use) was pull cuts.
However, for many decades now, I've not really had any issues doing that with a blade with some belly, so...
Also, as Wartstein has mentioned - the blade could be a little longer and that wouldn't hurt a thing.

u.w.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:

Well, if you actually read through Davids thread, he says himself that "they could have easily (!) squeezed 1/4 inch of blade in the handle" (so this would be between 6 and 7 mm), see here viewtopic.php?p=1456673#p1456643.

This is what I actually and physically measured myself too of course, otherwise I would not say so. See my comparison pic Stretch 1 / Rock Jumper below. [EDIT: I measured 6 to 7 mm indeed, but there is a slight possibility that this is my Endela vs Stretch 1 pic , and not my RJ vs Stretch 1 pic. Have to check later!]

6 mm edge is the difference between a Para 3 and a Manix 2 LW, 7mm even more . Not nothing, and certainly "a real world difference"... at least in a world where people are enough into knives to find a difference between VG10 and S30V, or G10 and FRN.
For me 6 mm difference in cutting edge is noticeable.

I did read through the post. I disagree with the claims that the blade could still be extended a quarter of an inch. The photo underneath that claim does not show enough of the blade to determine anything. Even still though, to me it still looks like less than a quarter of an inch.

I acknowledge that the photo I quoted might not be with the blade fully seated but if it is, to me it looks like the handle could not support another quarter inch of blade. Ideally, I would own a Rockjumper and could just measure it myself but unfortunately I don’t. Until I do, I have to use photos as reference.

It might be that it’s quarter of an inch (6.35 mm) from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle when it’s closed but that still would not equal a quarter inch of additional blade length. They’re not going to extend the tip of the blade to the very end of the handle. There’s always going to be some space in front of the tip.

If they only have 1/4” of space to work with, the blade would probably only extend into half of that space. Assuming that’s the case, they would only be increasing the blade by an 1/8” (3.18 mm). Any more than that and I think they would run the risk of being too close to the end of the handle.

If they only have 1/8” of space to work with, well first I would question if the blade could be extended at all but beyond that and assuming it could be, I wouldn’t expect more than 1/16”(1.6 mm). That would be extending the blade very to close to end of the handle for a negligible amount of blade length. This is the length I meant by saying that besides legal requirements, that amount of blade length would never make a difference in any real world scenario.
Last edited by Mushroom on Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Warty will never stop with these minimal/fractional blade lengths making or breaking a knife. It's something else, never seen anybody care SO MUCH about SO LITTLE :yawn :zipper
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
fixall

Post by fixall »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:35 pm
Warty will never stop with these minimal/fractional blade lengths making or breaking a knife. It's something else, never seen anybody care SO MUCH about SO LITTLE :yawn :zipper
Without the passion, none of us would be knife enthusiasts. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I did read through the post. I disagree with the claims that the blade could still be extended a quarter of an inch. T....

No offense, but this is getting a bit tiring and I can´t really follow your reasoning?!

- Again: Differently to you, who is judging from some pic of a tape-covered blade (where I could determine nothing) I HAD the Rockjumper IN HAND and measured without any doubt that at least 6, but probably 7 mm more of blade / edge would definitely and easily fit into the handle. WITHOUT extending over or even reaching the handle end and tip still not being exposed at all. The situation would look pretty much exactly like in the Stretch 1 (I actually compared the RJ to the Stretch 1 in that regard, they have very similar handle ends)

- David, in his thorough review and owning the RockJumper came to exactly the same result (again, here viewtopic.php?p=1456673#p1456643 - "easily another 1/4 inch" (6 to 7 mm)

David imo is one of the most respected and trustworthy members here, and I also can´t recall ever stating something without knowing 100% that it is true (otherwise I always say things like "just from what I read" "in my opinion" "just from holding the knife" and so on.

You still disagree... and continue to do so even after I explained to you again that this is not guessing, but what I know for a fact by checking myself...
How can you "disagree"?! You never even held a RockJumper, right? Let alone check for possible blade length?
Again, I KNOW what I am talking about, cause I checked and measured myself indeed...just like David did too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can you imagine if I jumped into every thread and told you all how silly it is that you won't buy certain lock types? Oh you don't like XL models? That's silly. You only want ambidextrous locks? That's silly. You prefer tip up? How silly. Why would even like FRN? That's silly. You want what steel? That's silly.

We're a group made up of differing tastes, why is any of this any different than preferring one lock type over another or G10 over FRN?

I don't think any of you mean it in a negative way, but it's reaching that point with a couple of these topics.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Considering that you are one of the most active members here, I am actually a bit surprised, my friend.

- I literally said that the shorter-than- possible blade of the RockJumper is not a deal breaker at all for me (not a "making or breaking")

- 6 or 7 mm more cutting edge is not totally nothing, and quite some folks here, including David, made clear that they´d like the design even more with a longer blade. And can give good, real world, practical reasons for that. There is a whole thread largely dedicated to that and Sal even said there he´d like to give the next run of the RJ that longer blade, presumably cause obviously many asked for it,

- "Never seen anybody care so much about so little"?! - How can you determine what´s "little" on this forum?
I mean, functionally speaking /in use: Is the difference between a Para 3 and a Manix cutting edge really "littler" (smaller ;) ) than between having VG10 vs S30 V; or a deep carry vs a regular clip; or a G10 vs a FRN handle; or a thumb ramp vs a flat spine; or a backlock vs a comp.lock; or XHP rustproofness vs LC200N rustproofness
Now people discuss about such differences ALL THE time (including you, Rick). Just cause seemingly cutting edge length happens to be not among the things YOU find important, this does not mean a general rule. I for example don´t really care if a knife comes in VG10 or S30V; don´t care AT ALL if it has REX45 rustproof level or H1 rustproof level; But I respect that others do.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:00 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Without the passion, none of us would be knife enthusiasts. :)

Best post here so far! :smlling-eyes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:32 pm
Can you imagine if I jumped into every thread and told you all how silly it is that you won't buy certain lock types? Oh you don't like XL models? That's silly. You only want ambidextrous locks? That's silly. You prefer tip up? How silly. Why would even like FRN? That's silly. You want what steel? That's silly.

We're a group made up of differing tastes, why is any of this any different than preferring one lock type over another or G10 over FRN?

I don't think any of you mean it in a negative way, but it's reaching that point with a couple of these topics.

This.
All of it, also that I am also convinced no one actually intended anything in a negative way.
sal

Post by sal »

C'mon David,

ALL opinions are silly except yours and mine and I'm not so sure about yours. :winking-tongue

sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Awesome thread! Fun to see thrust and parry from respected forum veterans, knowing no malice is involved.

I'll just say an old idea that corrects all of the Rockjumper's deficiencies (if they ARE deficiencies) is the FRN-handled backlock Caribbean Sheepfoot SE. If such a thing existed, that is.

If designed with the more acute sheepscliffe blade, it's the closest thing to an instant buy I can think of.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:58 pm
C'mon David,

ALL opinions are silly except yours and mine and I'm not so sure about yours. :winking-tongue

sal

Ok, now THIS supersedes Fixals post as "best post here so far" :grin-sweat
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:04 pm
Awesome thread! Fun to see thrust and parry from respected forum veterans, knowing no malice is involved.

I'll just say an old idea that corrects all of the Rockjumper's deficiencies (if they ARE deficiencies) is the FRN-handled backlock Caribbean Sheepfoot SE. If such a thing existed, that is.

If designed with the more acute sheepscliffe blade, it's the closest thing to an instant buy I can think of.

I SO hope the "Cliff Jumper" / "Sequoia" (basically a Leaf Jumper XL, there´s already rumors about it ) will be just that!!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:43 pm
Even in my current Wharnie-obsessed phase (4 Delicas/Salts, an Endela, a Dfly, and a Manbug) I still can't get past the lack of Boye Dent and Jimping on the Rock Jumper. I can't. I won't. Looks like a nice knife otherwise.
With no intention to troll after reading this I’m actually more excited. I didn’t notice those features missing and personally don’t prefer them. Heck, solid liners aren’t bad either. Less places for lint and moisture to hide :) .

It’s a nice thing Spyderco makes so many models. Almost a guarantee to find a knife that you love and an argument of one you hate, lol.
brancron

Post by brancron »

It’s one of the most underrated Spydercos for actually using on a day-to-day basis. Just a great design and fantastic cutting ability. It’s a shame, because I kind of doubt it’s popular enough to make it eligible for sprint runs/steel upgrades/handle color choices.
fixall

Post by fixall »

brancron wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:09 pm
It’s one of the most underrated Spydercos for actually using on a day-to-day basis. Just a great design and fantastic cutting ability. It’s a shame, because I kind of doubt it’s popular enough to make it eligible for sprint runs/steel upgrades/handle color choices.
I'm really holding out hope that a dealer/distributor decides to take the risk of an exclusive. It's such a nice knife. I really do think it should get a lot more attention than it does.
benben

Post by benben »

Blerv, your Dad is going to love it, good on you for getting him one!
brancron

Post by brancron »

fixall wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:18 pm
I'm really holding out hope that a dealer/distributor decides to take the risk of an exclusive. It's such a nice knife. I really do think it should get a lot more attention than it does.
I think I need to become a dealer just for the purpose of commissioning a Cruwear/OD green FRN Rockjumper!