Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Excited to try the Micro P'kal and see how much easier it is to carry and draw while sitting. Probably too much to hope for a trainer?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

I've known and have been working with Mike Janich for decades. I have full trust in his ability to create a superior design. Last I heard, they were still tweaking the design.

We consistently refiner and refine. This was a project that I kind of assigned to Mike several years ago and he's been working on it ever since. I'm excited to see what Mike comes up with.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cjk wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:12 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:14 am
I'm typically not super interested in mini-me versions but this sounds like a great small utility knife. It'll have to compete with the Manbug wharnie and Dragonfly wharnie though, so it already has some tough competition.
I've never seen the microjimbo prototype, but Michael Janich indicated in a post on this forum that it was more Delica sized.

I thought the Yojimbo 2 already was Delica sized?

Just looked up some comparison pics, I guess it is more Para 2 or Manix 2 sized. I just already see the Yojimbo 2 as being a fairly compact knife already so when I read "MicroJimbo" I expected something significantly smaller, not just a half inch less in blade length.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I designed the Yojimbo 2 handle to be roughly the same length as the Delica 4, so it can be carried in the bottom of a back pocket if necessary. Its blade, however, is about .20-inch longer.

My goal with the MicroJimbo design was to scale the whole thing down to achieve a 2.5-inch blade length--the magic blade size for anal-retentive environments like Boston, Chicago, and US Federal Buildings (employees only). Achieving that goal will also make the handle almost a half inch shorter than a closed Delica.

The idea of the "Micro" concept was to scale it so the key functional dimensions of the design--the "cockpit"--remained the same, but the rest of the knife is smaller. Like the handgun industry and the concept of the Glock 17/19/26, I wanted the operational ergonomics to stay as consistent as possible. Spyderco also does this with our Value Folder line.

Stay safe,

Mike
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The microjimbo sounds very exciting. I'd love to have that kind of fine tip and long edge in a slightly friendlier package.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:08 am
I designed the Yojimbo 2 handle to be roughly the same length as the Delica 4, so it can be carried in the bottom of a back pocket if necessary. Its blade, however, is about .20-inch longer.

My goal with the MicroJimbo design was to scale the whole thing down to achieve a 2.5-inch blade length--the magic blade size for anal-retentive environments like Boston, Chicago, and US Federal Buildings (employees only). Achieving that goal will also make the handle almost a half inch shorter than a closed Delica.

The idea of the "Micro" concept was to scale it so the key functional dimensions of the design--the "cockpit"--remained the same, but the rest of the knife is smaller. Like the handgun industry and the concept of the Glock 17/19/26, I wanted the operational ergonomics to stay as consistent as possible. Spyderco also does this with our Value Folder line.

Stay safe,

Mike
I would think the blade would be fairly easy to do, but don't think the handle will be. Good luck with it and we look forward to seeing this when it comes out.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:08 am

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike. I can't wait to see it.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

When they say " its in the que", is that like a year out for purchase?...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:17 am
When they say " its in the que", is that like a year out for purchase?...
I think it means that it has progressed passed the prototype stages. We still do not know exactly how long it will be until it’s actually available.
- Nick :bug-red
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

…but this is going to be named the “Yominbo” right?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

zemogKA wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 pm
I see what you did there…
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

zemogKA wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 pm
It’s officially called the ‘crojimbo’ a contraction of ‘microjimbo’*.

*officially by the cheddarnut auxilliares
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Minjim
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The name preference I have expressed for it is "MicroJimbo."

Stay safe,

Mike
Ric

Post by Ric »

Is it possible to get a few pictures of the prototype?

Would be nice having a glimpse.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:18 am
cjk wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I'm typically not super interested in mini-me versions but this sounds like a great small utility knife. It'll have to compete with the Manbug wharnie and Dragonfly wharnie though, so it already has some tough competition.
I've never seen the microjimbo prototype, but Michael Janich indicated in a post on this forum that it was more Delica sized.

Just looked up some comparison pics, I guess it is more Para 2 or Manix 2 sized. I just already see the Yojimbo 2 as being a fairly compact knife already so when I read "MicroJimbo" I expected something significantly smaller, not just a half inch less in blade length.
Based on MJ's comments above, it looks like the microjimbo will be quite a bit smaller than I thought. My bad. I'm pretty sure I'm still in on one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cjk wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:32 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:18 am
cjk wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Based on MJ's comments above, it looks like the microjimbo will be quite a bit smaller than I thought. My bad. I'm pretty sure I'm still in on one.

I'm definitely still watching, I'll just be comparing it to a Dragonfly wharnie instead of the smaller stuff.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Evil D wrote:
lil'native wharnie too...
"Some call me...Tim?"
Joshuaroyce

Post by Joshuaroyce »

I think they should’ve called it pork man or pork boy instead of microjimbo 😂
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

What about the "ChicagoJimbo"? 5x5 Solutions sells that, it's a Chicago legal regrind of a Yojimbo with a full-sized handle. He also regrinds "Janduras" and "Jandelicas" into his Wharncliffe shape, almost got one, but Mickey Yurco does a very similar regrind but with full length, and a PickPocket wave tool,and a deep carry clip/backspacer so I have one of those. I LOVE the Janich wharncliffe, and think putting the wave tool on the Yojumbo perfected it.

That and the reverse-S, are shapes I just love and want to collect. I need a Dodo, Meerkat and S.P.O.T! And one of those amazing double-bladed Civilians, or the Mother of Pearl handled one with "dual serrations" (filework on the back). So beautiful!
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.