Hawkbill Grail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Hawkbill Grail

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I thought this thread could use some more pics :grin-big eyes

The Spyderco Hawkbill and Reverse S family (just missing the harpy, Lil Matriarch, and Civilian)

And some more pics of the Superhawk:
:beaming-face

I like the way my hand fits behind the choil, nice and locked in for a four finger grip, but still some room for the guys with bigger hands. The ability to comfortably, firmly, and easily grip the knife at the end of the handle also gives the blade more reach.

Choking up...

Handle shape works really well in reverse grip...

I know sal is talking about a thinner blade stock for an FRN version, but I wanted to show the tip of the Superhawk. Perhaps even with the thinner stock the robust tip can be kept.

If I had a few small suggestions, keep the tip thick (on all blade shapes). If you do the Reverse S blade shape, keeping the Emerson Wave would be a BIG plus. And lastly you probably weren't going to have one on an FRN knife anyways, but I'm not a fan of lanyard tubes, I'd rather just a hole in the scales with no metal tube.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m enthusiastic about lots of these ideas as I always will be with serrations and curvy edges!

I have this really strong urge to post pics of sketches I’m sure you guys will like, and just because I want to talk about them, but I also don’t want to post them out in public. It seems like Sal cautions against that, and for good reason.

Appropriately, of my illustrated fantasies is a big serrated, full flat ground, reverse-S knife inspired by the extinct “Terror Birds” and a handle that borrows from Sal’s handle-forward lockback concept. I’ve started to affectionately call it “Titanis” after one of the largest species of those birds (and because I grew up running around with knives 5 minutes from the site it’s fossils are best known from).
The idea was that it would be a Byrd line design, though, because that just works! Unfortunately, “Terror Byrd” is a little extreme for a model name, despite how fun that would be, but Titanis sounds just as good to me.
And it’s hardly the only reverse-S or hawkbill I’ve cooked up.

Anyway, I always start rambling SUPER fast.
My bad.

I think the Superhawk is a great design. I think a lot could be done with it, but Sal is the pro at this stuff. I just like drawing.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:32 pm
I thought this thread could use some more pics :grin-big eyes

The Spyderco Hawkbill and Reverse S family (just missing the harpy, Lil Matriarch, and Civilian)
And Cricket.

And maybe very arguably the Myrtle.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Great pics Matt. Thanx for sharing. Nice scooter! Is that the 250 or the 305. thanx for the memories.

Hey Matt, Just drilling a hole in the materials we use can cut a line, hence the tube. I don't think that would be a problem with FRN. Thanx for the nudge on the "hook" (Emerson Opener). If I decide to move on this, which will take time, I'l go FRN scales and do more than one blade shape. Right now we're drawing a variety of blade shapes to see how they will fit the handle.

Hey Cl1ff,

Why don't you contact Peter Jhones. Peterj@spyderco.com. He's heads up R&D & Legal. Chat with him about what we have to do before we can look at your sketches. Then I'd like to see them. I'll give him a heads up.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The article I found that in said it's a 1962 Honda CB77 Super Hawk 305cc sal. Pretty cool looking :cheap-sunglasses

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JFrame

Post by JFrame »

Some years ago, the Superhawk was my defensive EDC of choice. Tragedy struck when it fell through a hole in my sweatshirt pocket. I had it in my pocket because I was going to a medical center for physical therapy and I knew I'd have to strip down... Yeah, I know -- bad decision on the pocket carry.

After my therapy appointment, I retraced my steps at least three times from the parking lot to the clinic (unfortunately, much of that was over soft lawn, which would have prevented me from hearing it fall)... Nada. I'm sure some lucky bastidge had walked off with the find.

I went home with a heavy heart. The grief must have been etched into my face when I told my wife -- for a week later, she presented me with a replacement Superhawk she had ordered. :heart

I carried THAT knife (ONLY clipped, of course) for a few more years. Then, the Superhawk achieved quasi-collectible status, so I "retired" it from my rotation (to be replaced by the Matriarch 2 and Canis for its intended purpose).

But if you were to ask me my favorite Spyderco, the Superhawk would make the short list -- along with the Cricket and Canis. :smlling-eyes
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JFrame wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:39 am
....Then, the Superhawk achieved quasi-collectible status, so I "retired" it from my rotation (to be replaced by the Matriarch 2 and Canis for its intended purpose).

But if you were to ask me my favorite Spyderco, the Superhawk would make the short list -- along with the Cricket and Canis. :smlling-eyes
Yea, an FRN version would be easier on the wallet. I intend to carry and use my new Superhawk, but it was not cheap on the secondary.

JFrame

Post by JFrame »

Yea, an FRN version would be easier on the wallet. I intend to carry and use my new Superhawk, but it was not cheap on the secondary.
I hear ya, Sir!

I admit to feeling a strong "tug" by the Superhawk to be returned to carry status -- any hypothetical "collectability" be hanged! :thinking :cowboy
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I don’t think a Superhawk in anything other than FRN would last in the regular lineup these days. Japanese made models in anything else just seem to get cost prohibitive rather quickly. The market for a hawkbill that size is already small and if the cost is too high, that market shrinks even further.

In my opinion, it would make more sense to give the Caribbean a hawkbill blade.
- Nick :bug-red
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:51 am
Hi Knivesandbooks,

If I decide to use the design of the handle to bring back the concept/design in FRN, I would consider a Hawkbill, a Leaf, a Wharncliffe, and a "Reverse S" in blade shapes. In my opinion, the shape of the handle is ergonomic enough, with enough control (the purpose and function of a handle) to support an number of blade shapes, but I've been wrong in the past?

sal
I have both the Superhawk and Superleaf, and they're both favorites of mine. For new FRN versions, I'd be interested in a Salt hawk and a leaf in a tough, hi-alloy steel. Maybe magnacut would work for both of them. I'd prefer to keep the thick blade stock and FFG, though. There are plenty of saber-ground hawkbill options already.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:50 am
I don’t think a Superhawk in anything other than FRN would last in the regular lineup these days. Japanese made models in anything else just seem to get cost prohibitive rather quickly. The market for a hawkbill that size is already small and if the cost is too high, that market shrinks even further.

In my opinion, it would make more sense to give the Caribbean a hawkbill blade.
I have to say in looking at both handles, I strongly prefer the Superhawk/leaf handle to the Caribbean for a number of reasons from looks to function. And a Super platform in FRN gives the opportunity for a variety of blade shapes, as well as for possible inclusion in future sprint runs in the Seki line.

I hope that you get your Caribbean Hawkbill as well, for the people who want a compression lock hawkbill salt knife with G-10.
The answer is always more hawkbills :grin-big eyes

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ZrowsN1s wrote: I have to say in looking at both handles, I strongly prefer the Superhawk/leaf handle to the Caribbean for a number of reasons from looks to function. And a Super platform in FRN gives the opportunity for a variety of blade shapes, as well as for possible inclusion in future sprint runs in the Seki line.

I hope that you get your Caribbean Hawkbill as well, for the people who want a compression lock hawkbill salt knife with G-10.
The answer is always more hawkbills :grin-big eyes

I don’t necessarily want a hawkbill Caribbean, I just think it would be more cost effective for Spyderco to give the Caribbean a hawkbill blade opposed to investing in new FRN injection molds for a re-make of the Superhawk.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m not trying to campaign against redoing the Superhawk in FRN. I have to imagine that it would lead to an FRN Superleaf as well, which I would be all over. A “Superwharn” could probably sell too. Maybe they’ll go crazy and do a “SuperBowie.” :grin-squint
- Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:04 am
The article I found that in said it's a 1962 Honda CB77 Super Hawk 305cc sal. Pretty cool looking :cheap-sunglasses
Sad to say I have rode that bike in the day . It was a sweet little bike for its time . Yes I’m an older guy ! :) MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Being a Honda guy, I had quite a few of them. The 305 was a gateway for me. My last one was VTR 1000.

"Talkin' Story";

Mr Honda was a mentor of mine. (never met him) I studied him and his story. The genius behind Honda marketing was Mr. Fugisawa. He came to the US and was talking with motorcycle dealers about handling Honda Motorcycles. I remember one story where a dealer asked him his goal for sales? Mr. Fugisawa said about 50 units. The dealer said that 50 units a year would be challenging. Mr, Fugisawa said; A year? I would like to sell 50 units per month!

He decided that he would have to set up his own dealers and do his own marketing. He set up dealers and started a marketing program based on; "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Some of you "oldsters" might remember grandma riding on a Honda scooter. The rest is history. A lesson in "Thinking big".

sal
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

Sal, getting close to pulling the trigger on the new Honda Trail 125. First bike I rode was a Honda 90 Trail in the 60's. Been through a lot of bikes since then. Agree, amazing company.

George
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Learned how to ride on a friend's 305, but my first bike was a 350 Scrambler. Those were the days.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

gspam1 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:29 pm
Sal, getting close to pulling the trigger on the new Honda Trail 125. First bike I rode was a Honda 90 Trail in the 60's. Been through a lot of bikes since then. Agree, amazing company.

George
Heres a great Revzilla video where they take an original honda trail and a new honda trail 125 all the way across Alaska.

https://youtu.be/Geb_QFxp_hs
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wow, a Honda Trail 90 and a Honda Scrambler 350. Blasts from my past. Now have yard equipment and generators made by Honda. Amazing company, indeed.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:32 pm
In case you're looking for one, the Harpy SS is back in stock in some places. Quite torn between it and the G-10 Harpy, which seems as elusive as ever.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:01 pm
gspam1 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:29 pm

George
Heres a great Revzilla video where they take an original honda trail and a new honda trail 125 all the way across Alaska.

https://youtu.be/Geb_QFxp_hs

Excellent!! Thanks for the link!

Edit: found the rebuild!