Q-Ball

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Q-Ball

Post by Bemo »

Totally agree with Bluetype. I would love to have this as a daily carry option as well.
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

I have the Dodo and the Q-Ball. The Dodo has the same difficulty factor. I can one-hand close them 8 out of ten times.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:21 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:48 pm
Trying out the new design now, definitely grippier with the groves. Made some small changes.
I’m really hoping you are going to be making some of these to sell…

If the Qball’s flaw can be fixed…
It’s going to be getting some serious pocket time. The Qball is such a great design and it’s quite versatile. It would be great in the warehouse and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as a SD blade.
I doubt I would ever have the capability to produce and sell them. The files are on Thingiverse so you can get a company like Shapeways or Xometry to 3d print one in just about any material that can be 3d printed. The models have supports built in so they need to be removed.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5187245
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

I used a “what do I dislike more” approach and I got rid of the skinny spring altogether that sits inside the knife as well as loosened the pivot and pin that sits above the pivot. The blade has a decent amount of side to side play but easily falls shut with a right handed hold - right pointer finger/middle finger pull back on the ceramic ball.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Drubieg:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
cjk

Post by cjk »

I admittedly don't know which directions the ball rolls in one of these locks.

However, what if the ball bearing was tapped for two thumbstuds, one on either side, and the thumbstuds stuck out either side of the existing holes on the knife? kinda like this: -O-

--Christian
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I believe the Qball is a ceramic ball. So drilling that would, my guess, incredibly difficult. The idea you bring up is very similar to the Blackie Collins lock used on one of the Sage knives. I have one, and it's not bad, some are really big fans of it. Really, for simplicity sake I really think re-designing with the CBBl as used on the Manix would be easier.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The BBL to me leans a bit more to aesthetic than function. At least compared to the level Spyderco has taken the Compression lock to and evolved with their RIL and lockback designs. Those are just easy too work with.

That said, most the BBL knives are just wonderful designs. I impulse bought a Q-Ball and it’s hits squarely on all my personal preferences. It’s not always as easy as say a Delica but I always appreciate it as a carry.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Agreed, love the design, only thing keeping me from carrying it more is my arthritic thumb. Hence my wish for a redesign. Just classic Eric design and it's so hand-filling in a really secure and satisfying way.
PoJay

Post by PoJay »

I am glad to see that I am not alone in my difficulty closing this awesome little knife. I found one from a reseller on a knife forum, knowing very little of the knife operation. I love the aesthetic and build, but the locking mechanism was unexpectedly difficult. I have looked for solutions. I oiled the spring and worked to break it in, but without a real modification, I think this one will sit in my case in the Spyderco drawer without much pocket time...
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I can't help but think this is the "micro" Manix that others have expressed interest in.