Low End Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Oloung1

Re: Low End Spyderco Knives

Post by Oloung1 »

NASA50 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:22 pm
Jeeze, was that a "hazing" ritual for new members that I just went through 😂 ????

Well, it must have had an effect, as the next time they are available, I intend to purchase the Chaparral Sun & Moon and/or Canis (yes, both made in Taiwan) under my OpsFocus plan ... any chance of getting the OpsFocus limit increased ?😁

... but I still wish Spyderco would leave the budget made in China knives to someone else ... and stay strictly high-end !
I think it's more about passionate people giving passionate responses. There are a good mix of knife makers, modders, designers, fabricators and curators on this forum. Each of them shares a bit of their craft to the community, from there facts and opinions are separated.

In this thread alone, there was a direct response from the Owner & Designer of said knives, as well as a long time Spyderco curator (I mean, we are all collectors on here, right - just not to that level). It's not easy to find the same type of direct feedback on most other brands.

My introduction to Sypderco was an 8cr knife. Next, was a VG10 knife, then they started multiplying by themselves into other steels. Thank you for the Service.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NASA50 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:23 am
Again, I was not trying to be arrogant nor trolling (I do not even know what that is) but I must be naive ... becuase I thought that this forum was maybe the right place for a person who carried a Spyderco knife for 32 years (on and off duty) to share his thoughts for Spyderco to hear ... it had nothing to do with the Chinese people, politics, Governments ... only a long time customers thoughts ... for consideration in Spyderco's Business Strategy.

When I go to the hardware store and see a bucket of knives (made in china) sitting on the counter selling for .99 cents a piece - it gives some of us a image (of a certain level of quality) ... I happen to know that Spyderco makes high quality of knives, but for that "naive" knife buyer ... they may not be able to initially distinguish a Spyderco made in China vs. the .99 Cent knives on the hardware store counter ...

I would simply prefer that Spyderco stay high-end and leave the low budget knives to someone else ... so I can buy any Spyderco without first having to figure out if it is a high-end knife vs. budget knife.

Thats was my only "agenda" ... not to try to offend anyone ...

But I have to admit, you guys did open my eyes to considering one of the offerings made in Taiwan, for I apparently mistakenly assumed that the location was (also) chosen for it low labor costs Vs. image of quality.

Let me know when you see buckets of Chinese made Spydercos selling for $.99 because I will definitely buy a few handfuls of them.

Really man, I get where you're coming from to a certain point but it's also honestly just an outdated way of thinking. It's not 1950 anymore. You're using some kind of technology to post all of this that isn't American made either. You drive a car that isn't all American made either, and if it's a Toyota it actually has a better chance of being more American made than a Chevy so how's that for irony? All we can do is trust and hope that Spyderco is partnered with a maker in China that is working ethically and treating their people right, because those people need to make a living and provide for their families just like you and I do. I would love it if they were all USA made too, but that doesn't detract from the quality that's available from the Chinese/Taichung/Seki made models. Gotta give credit where it's due and the honest truth is that they're good knives that are likely made by good people, and Spyderco have been making them in other countries pretty much from the very beginning and it hasn't ruined their reputation yet has it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

NASA50 wrote:
... but I still wish Spyderco would leave the budget made in China knives to someone else ... and stay strictly high-end !
That would mean those without the money to buy high end couldn’t afford the great designs that Spyderco makes. That’s a sad thought.

They’ve proved that affordable doesn’t have to be cheap.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They all figure it out eventually...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
timlara

Post by timlara »

NASA50 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:23 am
But I have to admit, you guys did open my eyes to considering one of the offerings made in Taiwan, for I apparently mistakenly assumed that the location was (also) chosen for it low labor costs Vs. image of quality.
Thanks for your service!

I think a lot of people likely make the same assumptions about the Taiwan models, but in reality, it seems that the Taichung factory in particular was chosen more for their advanced precision machining capabilities which can rival or sometimes even surpass (in my opinion) what the Golden, CO factory is capable of. I feel like it was also more a decision based on expanding Spyderco's capacity to make more high-end models since there is a limit to how much the Golden factory can produce while maintaining their quality standards. (And the employees' quality of life standards)

I would put the Taichung models up against any knives from any brand, quality-wise and recommend them without reservation.

All that said, I am also looking forward to trying out the new Alcyone and Polestar Chinese models when they are available as well.

To paraphrase what Sal has said many times before, "All good, just different".
Tim
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

The Taichung knives are fantastic quality.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:44 pm
Please do not tar Taiwan with the same brush you used on China. Taiwan has been making high-end Spyderco knives for years and they deserve respect,

I only have a few of the China-made Spydercos. The fit and finish may not match Taiwan or Golden, but they are darn good. I do wish the steel could be a higher grade, but in the end it does the job for me and is easy to sharpen.

I cannot imagine Sal ever putting his brand on a bad knife!
My Tai Chung Chaparral is noticeably higher quality than my seki city knives.

Tolerances and fit on the chaparral are as good or better than my Golden made Para 3 and better than my Golden Native 5.

I fully support Taiwan products if I can’t source something made Domestically (for a number of political and ethical reasons that don’t need to be discussed.)

For those same reasons I won’t purchase a Chinese made spyderco. I fully recognize the limited number of options we have in today’s society, but I am presented with choice on occasion and I have no problems seeking out alternatives.

Your mileage may vary.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:46 pm
If you stay on this forum long enough someone will talk you into carrying a serrated edged blade to do everything.

Really?!... :winking-tongue :grin-sweat
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:32 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
If you stay on this forum long enough someone will talk you into carrying a serrated edged blade to do everything.

Hahaha, yep!! I actually gave it a try...twice! Two different knives. In the end, their just not for me. Funny you say that though.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

NASA50 wrote:
Jeeze, was that a "hazing" ritual for new members that I just went through 😂 ????
😁

You’re one of us now.
NASA50 wrote:
Well, it must have had an effect, as the next time they are available, I intend to purchase the Chaparral Sun & Moon and/or Canis (yes, both made in Taiwan)
The sun and moon is really cool. But the FRN version is really, really good. I think it’s the best small knife they make or have ever made, at any location.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:22 am
NASA50 wrote:
NASA50 wrote:
Well, it must have had an effect, as the next time they are available, I intend to purchase the Chaparral Sun & Moon and/or Canis (yes, both made in Taiwan)
The sun and moon is really cool. But the FRN version is really, really good. I think it’s the best small knife they make or have ever made, at any location.

This. An absolute role model for how a tiny (for me) folder should be imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:32 am
Kevinim82 wrote:

Hahaha, yep!! I actually gave it a try...twice! Two different knives. In the end, their just not for me. Funny you say that though.

I say that cause it probably won´t be long till I myself actually will try to talk OP into an SE Spydie in some thread... :winking-tongue .

/ I know! One was the wharnie Delica SE, right? Can´t recall the second one (perhaps it was no Spyderco or you never showed it here or I missed that one).
But by "is not for me" do you mean: You still could experience the "SE-ish" cutting power, but just prefer a well sharpened PE, or did SE not work at all for you?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:43 am
This thread is making me want to buy a Chinese-made Spyderco, just to see what's wrong with them.
Slavery?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was thinking about this more this morning after seeing your follow up thread and I figured some disclosure might be in order, because I'm willing to bet that most of us here have been guilty of this mentality at one point or another, and the older we are the more likely it is.

When I was a kid, any knife that said Taiwan on the tang was garbage, and the only thing you could buy that was worse is a knife that said Pakistan on the blade. If it wasn't made in the USA or Germany, nobody wanted it.

My memory is a little foggy but I wanna say my third Spyderco was a Sage 1. First was a Native Lightweight, and my impression from that knife was so high that when I decided to buy a second knife I immediately looked for a Spyderco. The first I came across (at a flea market no less) was a Delica...made in Seki. My very first post on this forum was to ask if it was a fake, because I was under the impression that all Spyderco knives were USA made just because they seemed so proud of it on the tang of that Native "Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth" which was just so BA. I bought the Delica after a very similar response (though I didn't come out of the gate hating on foreign made models, I just asked if it was legit). I liked it quite a lot until my preferences in ergonomics outgrew it.

Then came the Sage. I found it at a knife shop, and was drawn to the carbon fiber at first but it was more similar in ergonomics to my Native and I loved how it felt in hand....but that Taiwan stamp on the blade nagged at me to the point of trading it in. It was some time later that I came to realize the truth of it. I traded it for a ZDP/CF Caly 3 so I didn't necessarily downgrade, but after that I haven't hesitated to buy anything from the Taichung factory, they do excellent work. I would encourage you to find a brick and mortar knife shop you can visit and see if they have any higher end Taichung made Spydercos like a Vallotton, Nirvana, man it's a long list honestly. My Southard is so flawless in fit and finish it borders on being a custom.

It helps me to think specifically about the actual factory in Taichung that makes these knives, who legend has it (someone correct me if I'm misremembering this) they asked for the Taichung part to be added to the Taiwan stamp because they're the only factory in Taichung and it separates them from the other makers. It may well be true that Taiwan still make a lot of garbage knives, but let's be honest not everything USA made is great either lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

Kevinim82 wrote:
-Kevin

Which is a good thing!

OP, I suggest the latest Chaparral.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve only read half the opening post but I’ll say this, I have a hang up on owning anything made in China but I simply just can’t get away from it. Everything’s made in China.

Anyhow, I won’t buy a knife branded Made in China it’s a hurdle I just can’t get over and maybe sucks be me for it. I won’t buy a Bow River for example. :winking-tongue

I also hesitated and was reluctant to buy my first Sprig because it was branded Taichung Taiwan. As it goes I have two Sprigs, a Southfork and a couple of other fixed blade Spyders from Taichung (I forget their names). All said they’re gems and I wouldn’t be without them. Ah, hahaha!

I have to laugh at my silly logic but they’re not made in China so I’m happy. :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Gernot, I also used to have a Salt 2 SE for a while a few years ago (can you believe that!? Me with a yellow, frn, SE knife haha)

I'm certainly not opposed to SE knives, I think they can be great for many different people. I just found that they didn't give me any advantage to a PE blade at work, which basically the only time I really use my knives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Rick, if you don’t have a yellow handled, HB, SE knife you gotta be nuts. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:35 am
It helps me to think specifically about the actual factory in Taichung that makes these knives, who legend has it (someone correct me if I'm misremembering this) they asked for the Taichung part to be added to the Taiwan stamp because they're the only factory in Taichung and it separates them from the other makers. It may well be true that Taiwan still make a lot of garbage knives, but let's be honest not everything USA made is great either lol.

Doesn’t Spyderco usually have the city/town, as well as the country where the knives are made in, etched on the blade tang? For example: Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth; Seki-City, Japan; Maniago, Italy; Taichung, Taiwan. Except for the Moki-made models, which IIRC are only stamped ‘Japan,’ which separates them from the ones made by G. Sakai.

I don’t know if the China-made models, like the Tenacious, include the city where they’re made in stamped on the blade tang, but it might help a bit if it were. It might look a bit better than simply ‘made in China,’ or ‘China.’

Jim
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

kobold wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:34 am
Coastal wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:43 am
This thread is making me want to buy a Chinese-made Spyderco, just to see what's wrong with them.
Slavery?
Well, I guess if I were to take that stand anywhere, it would be at Chinese knives. Wouldn't want to give up my computers, phone, clothes, auto parts, plumbing fixtures, etc... You've pulled me off the ledge just in time; won't be pulling the trigger on that Tenacious! ;)