ladybug or manbug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: ladybug or manbug?

Post by RustyIron »

Ladybug has a pointier tip, which comes in handy for slicing through thick epidermis to remove a thorn or a sliver of stainless steel. For a knife of this size, the capability of doing delicate work is more important than it's ability to chop down trees.

vivi

Post by vivi »

sethwm wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:15 pm
Really want a ladybug, but think the manbug might have a better grip. I wear an XL glove. I find the dragonfly ergonomic, and the delica fits my hand perfectly.

Do folks find a noticeable improvement in grip for the manbug?
I wear XL to XXL and neither the ladybug or manbug fit my grip well.

However, the Spin is a superb fit for my hands. I'd seriously consider that instead.

It's the only Spyderco folder smaller than an Endura even in my collection:

:unicorn
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Ok so I've spent a few months now with both the ladybug and manbug. k390. The one I bought above (vg-10) was immediately stolen by my wife.

I wanted to like the ladybug better. I prefer it's blade shape over the manbug. But with my XL-glove hands, the manbug bigger hole, wider handle, and just slightly overall bigger frame make it night-and-day better ergonomically for me than the ladybug. Both are great knives, but the manbug will be living on my keychain for now.

Now I just need to find a better keychain solution. Need a heavy duty, small ring...
Last edited by sethwm on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

Good photo..
Maybe try alcohol on a q-tip?
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
olywa

Post by olywa »

I prefer the Manbug Wharnie. Just wish I could get it in K390.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Depends on carry method. Ladybug is smaller so it would be my preference on my keys.

I prefer to carry little knives in my watch/coin pocket so it doesn’t really matter which one. I have actually carried a Caplifter Clipittool in my watch pocket for 7-8 years now. Only at work because that is usually the only time I wear jeans. It is like an all steel Manbug with a pry tool built in. I’m surprised nobody else here ever mentions it. I wish it was higher quality, had a better steel and wasn’t made in China but it was a gift so I carry it and enjoy it. For what I use it for 8cr13 works fine.

Glad you like your Manbug!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

sethwm wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:56 pm
Now I just need to find a better keychain solution. Need a heavy duty, small ring...
When I tried keychain carry I found that a small s-biner worked well.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am
sethwm wrote:
Nice. Where did you get those para cord lanyards?
bearfacedkiller

sethwm wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:32 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am
sethwm wrote:
Nice. Where did you get those para cord lanyards?
I got those plastic pull tabs from county comm a long time ago. I originally bought them so I could add longer pulls onto zippers for winter when I wear heavy gloves. I gets cold here and I work outside a lot. They make good fobs for knives too. Google paracord zipper pulls.

The s-biners are their smallest size. I don’t know if they sell them individually. I got mine off of a key chain thing at Lowe’s.

https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack.asp
-Darby
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

They sell a locking version of those as well which I highly recommend over the non-locking versions. I had things come unclipped in my pocket using the non-locking S-biners.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

olywa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:21 am
I prefer the Manbug Wharnie. Just wish I could get it in K390.
+1000
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I ended up swapping back to the ladybug from the manbug. The manbug's ergos for me are a ton better. But I realized that the whole point of this knife is to be invisible in the pocket. I actually hardly use it, in fact when I have used it recently, it's just because I want to give it some love and not because it's the most appropriate tool for the job.

So I swapped back to the ladybug because 99.99% of the time the knife's job is to be invisible, and the ladybug is noticeably more compact. When I do use it 0.01% of the time, I can live with it being a little awkward to deploy.
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Another vote here for the Manbug Wharnie, particularly SE. I have the k390 Ladybug and it’s fine. I do like it’s thinner blade stock (why does the Manbug need to have stock thickness nearly equal to my Endura? Handle ergos?). I guess if they released a wharnie Ladybug it might check all my boxes.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ounce per ounce the Dragonfly is my favorite Little Big Knife. The H1 serrated hawk bill cuts like a 3.5” blade.

Of the Manbug or Ladybug I like the Lady. Better point (while I do like the previous gen a bit more for that splinter-picker. Either way though a serrated one is the way to go. If you hate the look of the hollow grind the FFG manbug is a cleaner look.

Sorry for two two paragraphs of contradictions, lol.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Blerv wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:46 pm
Ounce per ounce the Dragonfly is my favorite Little Big Knife. The H1 serrated hawk bill cuts like a 3.5” blade.

Of the Manbug or Ladybug I like the Lady. Better point (while I do like the previous gen a bit more for that splinter-picker. Either way though a serrated one is the way to go. If you hate the look of the hollow grind the FFG manbug is a cleaner look.

Sorry for two two paragraphs of contradictions, lol.
Agree with you on the dragonfly. But on my keys I want a little little knife not a little big knife so the ladybug is the one for me (for now).
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, sthwm, is that pitting beside thumb groove's ?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

kiwisailor wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:05 pm
Hi, sthwm, is that pitting beside thumb groove's ?
No, it was just dust and oil that looked weird in the picture.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Ok, thanks for the clarification.