Manix 2 XL vs. Caribbean (Handle room and comfort)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Re: Manix 2 XL vs. Caribbean (Handle room and comfort)

Post by TheGiant80 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:21 am
Also I work with a guy who's 6 foot 9 and he's got probably the biggest hands I've ever seen in person. I may see how he feels about holding my Police 4 today and get some pics if I can work my way into a "hey buddy will you hold my knife and let me take pics" conversation without seeming like a gigantic weirdo.
This gave me a great laugh to start the day. Also, I mean if you can make it happen, that’d be awesome!

Thanks for the replies everyone! It looks like the Straight Spine Stretch, the Stretch XL (which might end up being perfect for me), or the P4 is the way to go. I really dig how mellow the Police’s handle shape seems to be. No super aggressive bumps or dips.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well turns out he had no problem with the idea and does carry a knife...it sorta looked like an aluminum handled Tenacious, with a spider and a web on it, was probably a "Spiderco" lol.

Anyway he had me by about a half inch in palm width and overall length. His fingers really didn't seem much wider than mine but the rest of his hand is pretty huge and much meatier than mine. He didn't have any issues with opening it or operating the lock, and said that it felt like what an average size would be for him and that the knife he carries felt tiny.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Evil D, many thanks to you and your friend. This has been incredibly helpful. I’m going to keep watching your SE K390 P4 thread to determine whether I should go serrated or not, but it’s pretty clear I need a Police folder in my life.

EDIT: Did your friend say whether he liked how the knife felt in his hand or not?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:06 pm
Evil D, many thanks to you and your friend. This has been incredibly helpful. I’m going to keep watching your SE K390 P4 thread to determine whether I should go serrated or not, but it’s pretty clear I need a Police folder in my life.

EDIT: Did your friend say whether he liked how the knife felt in his hand or not?

Didn't go much into detail but his tastes probably aren't as honed considering what he had in his pocket lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Here is comparison....
Manix 2 / Caribbean / Manix 2 XL

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

tap78 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:13 pm
Here is comparison....
Manix 2 / Caribbean / Manix 2 XL

Awesome shot, and it really highlights the issue I’d have. Thank you!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You probably could get someone to modify the Manix XL to remove that unneeded rear hump. It would be my course of action if I had your hand size.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:18 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:54 pm
i don't have a manix xl, but the grip area is exactly the same as the manix 2, just with some extra bulk on the end behind the grip. here's a comparison with the caribbean. the manix is definitely more cramped than the caribbean. i find it perfect, but if the caribbean is too small for you, the manix will be too.
Ladybug93 you rule! That photo is extremely helpful. Much obliged!

I guess I’ll keep looking at Police variants for now then..

The pic is very informative, but showing the Manix 2, not the Manix 2 XL (just should you have missed this, Giant)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:42 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
i don't have a manix xl, but the grip area is exactly the same as the manix 2, just with some extra bulk on the end behind the grip. here's a comparison with the caribbean. the manix is definitely more cramped than the caribbean. i find it perfect, but if the caribbean is too small for you, the manix will be too.

The pic is very informative, but showing the Manix 2, not the Manix 2 XL (just should you have missed this, Giant)
as i stated, the contours on the manix xl are exactly the same as the manix 2. if you put them up against each other, they are a direct match, except that the xl hook extends further up the pinky, which actually makes it less comfortable if you have larger hands.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:42 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

as i stated, the contours on the manix xl are exactly the same as the manix 2. if you put them up against each other, they are a direct match, except that the xl hook extends further up the pinky, which actually makes it less comfortable if you have larger hands.
Right, you did state this indeed, I somehow missed it...(and the pics here are further prove to what you are saying)

Weird though, I never thought that the grip area on the XL could be the same as on the Manix 2:
- For me (L to XL hands) the Manix 2 is a good, but already rather tight fit behind the choil, so if the grip area there was any shorter, my fingers would start to feel cramped.
- Now I know that guys with really big hands, like Vivi, like the Manix 2 XL and rarely use the choil, so they must feel comfortable with the XLs grip area behind the choil.. weird, cause since it is the same as on the Manix 2, it must be close to tight even for me with my comparably smaller hands...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:25 am
the grip area on the resilience is really not any bigger than the caribbean. maybe by 1/16" - 1/8" at most. i was surprised to see this. i hadn't ever thought to compare the two since they are both beyond big enough for my hands.

Don´t know if this is the case here, but in my experience a just slightly longer grip area can (but does not have to!) make a really noticeable difference. Plus the Resilience seems to have a more subtle "curve" and less of a hook at the handle end than the Caribbean, so it might still be a better fit for the Giants, well, giant hands... ;)

And: IF the pinky comes off of a handle end cause the grip area is too short: In my experience it is better then if the handle end does not go upwards rather perpendicular like on the Caribbean, but in an "arc" like on the Resilience, cause with the latter shape there is at least something above the pinky it can rest against.

Giant would have to try for himself.. I don´t think there is anyone else on this forum with "Caribbean handle is too small" kind of hands... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:21 am
Thanks for the replies everyone! It looks like the Straight Spine Stretch, the Stretch XL (which might end up being perfect for me), or the P4 is the way to go. I really dig how mellow the Police’s handle shape seems to be. No super aggressive bumps or dips.

The Stretch 2 (straight spine Stretch being one version of it), might be worth trying for you:
I offers considerably more grip area than for example a PM2 (which has about the same grip area as a Manix again) due to the differently shaped handle end, as you can see in the pic below (NOT my pic, it belongs to Paul/the Deacon. I hope you don´t mind me posting it here, Paul).
Though I am afraid it would be still too short for you (and offers less cutting edge than you are obviously used to).

/ Generally: If you are comfortable with using a finger choil by default, that would be a real game changer in your case and give you a ton more options (including the Manix 2 XL of course)

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:37 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:25 am
the grip area on the resilience is really not any bigger than the caribbean. maybe by 1/16" - 1/8" at most. i was surprised to see this. i hadn't ever thought to compare the two since they are both beyond big enough for my hands.

Don´t know if this is the case here, but in my experience a just slightly longer grip area can (but does not have to!) make a really noticeable difference. Plus the Resilience seems to have a more subtle "curve" and less of a hook at the handle end than the Caribbean, so it might still be a better fit for the Giants, well, giant hands... ;)

And: IF the pinky comes off of a handle end cause the grip area is too short: In my experience it is better then if the handle end does not go upwards rather perpendicular like on the Caribbean, but in an "arc" like on the Resilience, cause with the latter shape there is at least something above the pinky it can rest against.

Giant would have to try for himself.. I don´t think there is anyone else on this forum with "Caribbean handle is too small" kind of hands... ;)
it's definitely true that those minor differences can be huge, depending on your hands. when david mentioned the resilience, i couldn't believe i hadn't thought of that, since it's a knife i really like. i went and grabbed mine to compare to the caribbean and was really shocked to see that it was such a small difference, so i figured i'd post it for everyone to see.

anyway, the more subtle bump on the resilience is bound to be more comfortable than the hook on the caribbean. in fact, that hook on the caribbean was one of the main detractors for me getting the knife, even though it's not in the way of my hand at all. i just don't like the way it looks and i don't like it in my pocket. i much prefer the way the resilience and manix 2 come to a more narrow point at the clip, as we've both discussed here before. still, i have a feeling that the resilience wouldn't be super comfortable if the caribbean is too small. the police is probably the better option.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C