Models you'd like to see return.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Models you'd like to see return.

Post by James Y »

An updated, upgraded version of the Wayne Goddard Lightweight. Preferably a Salt version in FFG, and in LC200N.

Jim
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

rookie, c22 walker, lum tanto
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ayoob (yes I know), Lava, Pingo
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Don't get me started... (see avatar).
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I would love for the Kiwi 4 to come back. I don't think there's anything in the current lineup that fulfills the niche the Kiwi 4 did. Ultra slim wharnie with a wire clip just seems hella useful.

I wanted one terribly back when I was a college student, but it just wasn't in the cards. It got disco'd right before I was really in a place to buy one.

Obviously this is all speculative, and beggars can't be choosers, but if it did come back, it would be very cool to see it in a stronger steel that could be ground ultra thin. Even crazier would be a chisel grind. I have a SAK sheepsfoot chisel ground knife for horticultural use, and dang does it cut. Also having only one edge to sharpen with no curves makes it almost idiot proof to sharpen.
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

The Rookie. The G10 Rookie was my first Spyderco, still have it, still love it. I'd like to see one with an upgraded steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:20 am
Ayoob (coming eventually, but I'd love to see more steel variants)

Ulize in full SE
Can we shout a big AMEN!!! somebody??? I've been on pins and needles awaiting the upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. I also would love to test drive a ULIZE model in full SE. Heck they could even do a Salt Series rendition of it and I would be happy.

Yeah I hope that the C-60 Ayoob goes over so good that it will eventually be available in a good selection of blade steels.

Of all the recurve models I would like to see with TEETH the ULIZE is also one I would like to see the most. Also I would love to see the return of the G-10 Harpy and a G-10 version of the Spyderhawk>> it's high time for some premium grade Hawkbill models IMO.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

CQI Carribean :winking-tongue
Holland

Post by Holland »

GB Air with a wire clip (PLEASE!!!)

Mantra 1 with no flipper tab

Southfork and Bird & Trout in K390
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
brj

Post by brj »

SpyderCard would be sweet, Catcherman a must buy.
kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:22 pm
the Spyderench with 14C28N
^ think I'd like this one as well
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:20 am
Ayoob (coming eventually, but I'd love to see more steel variants)

Ulize in full SE
Can we shout a big AMEN!!! somebody??? I've been on pins and needles awaiting the upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. I also would love to test drive a ULIZE model in full SE. Heck they could even do a Salt Series rendition of it and I would be happy.

Yeah I hope that the C-60 Ayoob goes over so good that it will eventually be available in a good selection of blade steels.

Of all the recurve models I would like to see with TEETH the ULIZE is also one I would like to see the most. Also I would love to see the return of the G-10 Harpy and a G-10 version of the Spyderhawk>> it's high time for some premium grade Hawkbill models IMO.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I almost want the SE Ulize more than the Ayoob. They're pretty similar in some ways actually. I just really want to try that big recurve with serrations, I really think it's possibly the best of both worlds having basically a hawkbill and a belly all in one. I don't see why it isn't possible because it's more or less just a Civilian turned around the other way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

A few of the previous suggestions that piqued my interest:
Sage 4
Ulize SE

And:
Manix G10 backlock in Cruwear
Caly 3 Damascus: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... nt-Run/783
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Kathy Ireland
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:06 am
Kathy Ireland
:rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have questions.

Have discontinued models actually disappeared? Not in my experience of the secondary market, where, by the way, the chance of counterfeits diminishes the older a model is.

Would re-continued discontinued models be better, with screws in place of pins, with newer steels in place of older ones, etc.?

And, would it matter to anyone that modernized older models will deny us an appreciation of the decisions that got us to this point in Spyderco’s history?

I don’t mean to imply that I feel shorted with my G10 Calypso sprint, but Moki’s micarta art (no longer practiced, it would seem) has me hoping to get an original, even though our Yablanowitz has cornered the market.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Siren
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:59 am
I have questions.

Have discontinued models actually disappeared? Not in my experience of the secondary market, where, by the way, the chance of counterfeits diminishes the older a model is.

Would re-continued discontinued models be better, with screws in place of pins, with newer steels in place of older ones, etc.?

And, would it matter to anyone that modernized older models will deny us an appreciation of the decisions that got us to this point in Spyderco’s history?

I don’t mean to imply that I feel shorted with my G10 Calypso sprint, but Moki’s micarta art (no longer practiced, it would seem) has me hoping to get an original, even though our Yablanowitz has cornered the market.

Fine questions, all.

Most haven't, but they're much, much more expensive, out of reach for a lot of people, and some legitimately have just pulled a disappearing act.

Maybe? I mean the steel of today is objectively better for the most part, and some people just want a design they like in their favorite steel, or to take advantage of the properties of a steel with a unique design.

I don't see how that would deny it to anybody. If anything, it might allow MORE people to appreciate these older designs. For instance, I have a sprint-run Gray G10 Shabaria, and owning it has allowed me to appreciate the ergonomics FAR more than looking at pictures of it ever could.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

All fair answers.

I was just concerned that new members here might just dismiss looking at the secondary market, and thus miss out on some mighty fine designs, especially in their original materials.

And I can say that many disco’d Spydies I have acquired we’re not exorbitantly priced. Indeed, some were at a lower MSRP than when they were first offered. And let’s not forget that newer materials have jumped big time in price.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:04 pm
All fair answers.

I was just concerned that new members here might just dismiss looking at the secondary market, and thus miss out on some mighty fine designs, especially in their original materials.

And I can say that many disco’d Spydies I have acquired we’re not exorbitantly priced. Indeed, some were at a lower MSRP than when they were first offered. And let’s not forget that newer materials have jumped big time in price.
It WOULD be a terrible shame for people to neglect the used market. I got my Poliwog that way, cute little thing!

It depends heavily on model, I think. I've seen some models go for crazy inflated prices, but others be barely above MSRP.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

C22 Walker, Persian, Starmate. Any current steel, would prefer something not VG 10 or SV 30. I think the C22 on the current secondary market is just crazy expensive.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: