Yojimbo Trainers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Yojimbo Trainers

Post by Michael Janich »

To all:

Since the introduction of the Yojimbo, have received numerous requests for information on training versions of the knife. Add this to the requests I've received for Ronin trainers and it appears that there is a significant demand among motivated folks for training versions of these designs.

Because the cost involved in producing trainers is basically equal to that of live blades, yet the potential for sales is typically more limited (most folks don't really train), it is very doubtful that Spyderco will produce trainers of these designs anytime soon. However, a German gentleman by the name of Martin Mueller is providing an alternative.

Martin is the founder of a company called Plastic Trainer and is producing fixed (non-folding) training versions of a variety of popular defensive knives. I have training versions of the Yojimbo and Ronin on order and am looking forward to giving them a full review. Since his prices are so reasonable, there is little risk involved and I'm confident that the trainers he'll provide will be well worth the investment.

A sample pic of a Yojimbo trainer is included here. You can check out all Martin's work and order something for yourself at www.plastictrainer.com. Tell him I sent you.

Stay safe,

mike j

Edited by - Michael Janich on 9/17/2004 8:51:19 AM
<a href="/forums/attachmentarchive/12359-9-YojimboPlasticTrainer.jpg" target="_new">View Attachment...</a>
paulks

Yojimbo Trainer

Post by paulks »

I have taken one of Michael Janich's classes and am interested in continuing my training. I have purchased a Yojimbo and it is now my carry knife.

I want to take my skills development to the next level, and so would love a Yojimbo trainer. I was considering grinding the blade of a production Yojimbo, but because of the blade's taper, even if I ground the edge and point off, it would still hurt a training partner.

What IDEAS do you guys have for a "do it yourself" Yojimbo trainer that will open and close like the real thing?

:spyder: My first thought was to grind the tip and edge, then epoxy a wider, rounded bead along the ground edge. Would this hold up to a blade-on-blade strike?

:spyder: My second thought was to open remove the original blade and set it aside as a spare. With a file and about an hour's work, I reckon I could shape myself a trainer blade out of perspex, polycarbonate, or some other plastic. My concern here is that the plastic blade may not have enough mass to practice inertia openings.

Have any of you Yojimbo owners built a Yojimbo trainer? If so, how? If not, why not?

Cheers,
Paul
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Good morning Mike!
That's excellent news. How does it work, do I have to send the live thing for him to cast a mold or does he have everything he needs.

I love the idea because we all sort of knew Spyderco wouldn't make a trainer, for the reasons you mentionned. I'm just curious though, how does it balance? The real knife is probably a bit more blade heavy than the drone, isn't it? We'll you know better than I do so I'm looking forward to read your review.

Thanks
-Dean
paulks

Post by paulks »

Has anyone on this forum disassembled the Yojimbo? Seems like 2 torx wrenches are required. Anything to be concerned about? Is this a simple knife to take apart and reassemble?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Paul and Dean:

In the old days (prior to factory-made folding trainers), I used to grind old (and sometimes brand new) live blades to make trainers. The biggest challenge in doing this was to create a wide enough surface at the edge and point to allow safe contact with a partner. With knives like the Yojimbo, this is a real challenge and typically changes the shape of the blade radically.

One method that I've been experimenting with is to first grind and round the blade and tip, then build up a bead of JB Weld to thicken the edge and tip surface. Once it's fully hardened, you sand and polish it smooth, making sure the blade doesn't bind in the handle.

I don't think the polycarbonate blade idea will work because 1) the tolerances of the machining need to be very tight and 2) the mating surfaces will be of very different hardnesses and will wear on the blade.

As for disassembling the Yojimbo to tinker with any of its innards, you need to know that such an action will void the warranty. With that said, as the designer, I've had mine apart numerous times. You do need two different sized Torx wrenches. In fact, you'll probably need two of each -- one to hold the female side of the screw and one to turn the male side.

Finally, the solid plastic trainers are lighter than the live piece. A live-blade Yojimbo weighs 3-3/4 ounces. The plastic trainer weights 1-3/4 ounces. Still, it's better than nothing.

One final thought... Although the locking mechanism is different, the outlines of the Endura trainer and the Yojimbo are reasonably close. It may be possible to grind the Endura trainer (especially an old solid-bladed one, if you can find one) down to approximate a folding Yojimbo trainer. Lacking that, we just need to get a petition of at least a couple thousand names going to get Spyderco ro produce trainers. Without real market demand, it's not a practical project.

Thanks for your confidence in my design and your efforts to train to use it well.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael. Always appreciate your droppin' in.

Good news about Martin's trainers. I'm sure he'll do a good job.

Being somewhat familiar with your "MBC style", I would have to agree that a Yojimbo trainer would be best. The Yojimbo does have its own "feel" and it becomes part of the hand in use.

Regarding production Yojimbo trainers, we've made no decisions one way or the other. We're just watchin' interest. We've got the design for a trainer. I'll speak to manufacturing on Monday about a short run, maybe 300-500 pcs.

As you mentioned, mfg costs and inventory make trainers a poor gamble. "A dedication to the few", but not really profitable.

As Michael mentioned, the cost of a funtioning trainer is almost as much as a live folder. With that in mind, how many of you would seriously be interested in a Yojimbo trainer?

sal
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I'd like a Yojimbo trainer in red G-10 with a G2 or similar steel 'blade'.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

thombrogan wrote:I'd like a Yojimbo trainer in red G-10 with a G2 or similar steel 'blade'.
Me too: I'd like something that I could practice drawing from my pocket (same clip, same lock) so I haven't gone for either a 1-pc or the similar-size Delica trainer.

I'd also like a Chinook II drone and a Pickle Knife drone. :) :spyder:
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

donutsrule wrote:I'd also like a Chinook II drone and a Pickle Knife drone.
One, two, three! Three practice knives! Ah ha ha!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Sal,

I'd be in for 2 personal trainers and then a quantity for resale as I deal with a lot of people who are serious about training. Yojimbo ROCKS!!
paulks

Post by paulks »

Sal, I would purchase 2, maybe 3 Yojimbo trainers, and know three friends (training partners) who would probably also purchase one each.

Thanks for considering doing a production run of Yojimbo trainers.

Request #1: I have a Delica trainer and a MOD trainer. The "new" Delica trainer (with holes in the blade) has an edge that is not ground to a semi-circle, but rather a flat grind with rounded edges. When I get hit with it (looking at two scabs now) I tend to get cut more easily than with my MOD trainer which has a more round grind on the "cutting surfaces." When you build the Yojimbo trainers, please grind the cutting surfaces as round as possible so they don't cut skin over bone as easily as the new Delica trainer. Maybe a teflon-like coating (to make the blade slippery) would also reduce its tendency to cut skin stretched over bone.

Request #2: Please try to replicate the Yojimbo's live blade's weight with the trainer, so that inertial openings can be practised with the same results as a live blade.

Thanks. Waiting with anticipation,
Paul
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Just received my Yojimbo last saturday. I am not yet sure if I will go the Yojimbo way as my Manix seems a bit of a jealous knife. I would probably buy a trainer however.
Qship

Post by Qship »

I want a trainer. Red handle please.

Qship
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I would be up for one however you make it. :D
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I would definitely get one trainer for my yojimbo, maybe two. But absolutely one trainer at least.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I would be in the market for 2 Yojimbo trainers, red handles would make sense.

Cameron
paulks

Post by paulks »

sal wrote: Regarding production Yojimbo trainers, we've made no decisions one way or the other. We're just watchin' interest. We've got the design for a trainer. I'll speak to manufacturing on Monday about a short run, maybe 300-500 pcs.
sal
Sal,

Please give us an update on Yojimbo Trainer availability. I hope your meeting with manufacturing was positive, and that you can justify producing a batch of trainers. I'm hoping I'll be able to purchase two by early April. :)

Kind regards,
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paul. The meeting was positive. We're planning a short run of 300 pieces. Red handles. We first have to develop the bladed so weight is the same as the live blade. Only so much can be dones in CAD. Sometimes cutting steel is the only way to be sure. Then Michael has to approve.

April is bit tight. Summer was the goal.

sal
paulks

Post by paulks »

Thank you for the update, Sal. I'm very glad to hear the good news. I'll send you a box of chocolates if they're available in early April. Need a prototype tester? I'm local and would be happy to help.

-- Paul
M M

Post by M M »

Hi,

long time above my last visit here and now
great news about the Yojimbo Trainers..

I take two for me and know several People who will also buy one.

Great knife my every day carry knive..

Sal:
Will the Trainer have a red G-10 handle?

Again thank you to Spyderco and Micheal Janich for such a great knive

MM
http://www.plastictrainer.com