Flashlight suggestions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dantecubit

Flashlight suggestions?

Post by dantecubit »

I don't know if this light exists, but what I want is:
•Relatively small- less than 5" L by 1" D
•Light- under 8 ounces
•Bright- ideally a Luxeon LED
•Burn time at least 3 hours

And in a truly perfect world, it'd have a nonmetallic body. Any suggestions?
Ray.Hood

Have you checked into surefire?

Post by Ray.Hood »

Try their website, they should have something that will work for you.
I have two, they are great.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

try looking at http://www.candlepowerforums.com
the guys there know what they are talking about

brands to look for would be

surefire
streamlight
inova
Peak Led Solutions
HDS systems
Pelican
Longbow
and there is many more custom lights

my favorite lights (they are both on my belt at the moment)
are the Surefire L4 (about 1" by 5", 65 lumen, Luxeon led,1hr runtime (50 mins using PILA 168s rechargeable LION) normally uses 2x cr123

and the Longbow Micra (1inch by 3 3/4 inch, 30ish lumen, Luxeon, 1xcr123 for 1.5 hrs)

typically if you want longer runtime from a given battery then you will have less light

just be warned - if you do go to cpf, lock your credit cards away, otherwise you will keep thinking "that looks nice, but that one is brighter, bugger it ill buy both"
trust me on this one (i have $2500 worth of lights) and i only went there to find a better duty light
kinda like here - i keep seeing all of these lovely spydercos that i want
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Check out the Inova X5... running about 25hrs on mine right now... hear they get 25-30 on a set of batts.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I've had the best luck with Surefire; they're incredibly durable no matter what you do to them.

I have an E2 Executive with an LED head (the KL-1) that has a run time of several hours of bright light, followed by lots of hours of less bright light. Excellent combination, very light, small, durable, fairly bright, long-running, and can be used as an impact weapon if necessary.

The only thing I'll buy any more is Surefire. I've abused mine on duty as well as off duty, and they keep running.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Hannibal Lecter

Princeton Tec Attitude

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

While I second the nod for the Inova X5 as a good choice and actually own one myself, I actually prefer the Princeton Tec Attitude. I have two, and presented my elderly mother with one as a gift as a replacement for the large "D" cell lights she favored; she keeps the Attitude within arms' reach at all times, and prefers it a thousand times over any larger light.

http://www.princetontec.com/

Check out the industrial lights section, under the entry Attitude.

My recommendations stem from years of caving experience, owning a multitude of lights, and using many others as loaners.

If I could only own one flashlight, the Princeton Tec Attitude would surely be it. Remarkable battery life, rugged construction, and "AAA" batteries are a lot easier to find in a pinch than the DL123's the Inova requires.
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
cdf

Post by cdf »

The Inova x1 is a nice lite , at a good price point ant appears pretty rugged . If you can afford it ,i tend to agree with Jim go Surefire ! You can beat the C##p out of it and still bet your life on it .
UK KEN

Tigerlight!

Post by UK KEN »

I have a rechargable Tigerlight! It was pretty expensive but it is simply the best torch I have used!

Ken ;)
UK KEN

Write up!

Post by UK KEN »

[quote="UK KEN"]I have a rechargable Tigerlight! It was pretty expensive but it is simply the best torch I have used!

Ken ]

this link gives a good comparative write up.

http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepag ... light.html

Ken ;)
muppet

Post by muppet »

Underwater Kinetics eLed 4AA. 11 hours burn time on 4 AA batteries, waterproof, shock proof, luxeon star, and a unique beam pattern - bright spot plus broad, very even low intensity spill. Unbeatable light for indoors use and pretty decent in the woods.

best part of all? $20 from Brightguy.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Dantecubit.........Muppet is the most right, if there such a thing.
I am a member of CPF, and Muppet has hit the nail on the head.
UK is the deal, best value for money, and close enough to answer your question.
Surefire are great, but UK wins on value... like a Spyderco, some would say!
dantecubit

Thanks guys

Post by dantecubit »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am leaning toward an Inova X5 or X1, but those UK lights look cool too. Everyone seems to like SureFire, and I'd buy one if I had the cash (but I'm a struggling student barely eating as it is).