The secret plans by Ted and Jurphaas.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jurphaas

The secret plans by Ted and Jurphaas.

Post by Jurphaas »

Let me tell you guys about yesterday evenings secret plan by Ted and myself. My wife, Gaby, would be out for the evening and it made for the perfect night to get her brand spanking new laptop connected to our wireless home network. Now, I only provide for the dough, the hardware, and the stupidity. Ted's the man, he is a hard core ICT proffessional. He build our wifi network and connecting Gaby's new toy would be a snap....

All went well untill the conection to the provider broke down and we could no longer test and connect to the web as we needed to. No panic, we also had a new HP 6840 wireless deskjet printer to install. All went fairly well untill the moment that Gaby returned home earlier as expected. Wow, what in the ..... is she thinking? Catching us in the act of trying to get her surprize organized? We blocked the doorway to my den and she happily chatted with us for a while. She then decided we needed to drink some wine and went to get the wine and glasses.

Ted quickly removed his own laptop and before Gaby returned upstairs, the connection to the provider was also restored and we could get things started again.
After some nice wine and after fooling Gaby for a while the work got completed and everything worked fine, Ted and I gave up on the secret part and surpized Gaby with her wireless conected early birthday present.

It was a fun night and Ted and I had a geat time working together. Things like this fit well into the family admosphere and gentle tone of this forum. We like to help and I hope it shows....

Thanks guys, make it a great weekend!
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
cricket

Post by cricket »

Nice story. By the way, providing "dough and hardware" is no small thing! Both are a lot rarer than stupidity! :D
Have a good weekend,
Steve
buferoe

those sneaky guy's.....

Post by buferoe »

Hi Jur and Ted offcourse,(the partners in crime :p )

Nice to hear that you did such a great job by surprising your wife with her early birthdaygift. This again shows that Spyderco Forumites are always there to help each other. ;)
Maybe a bit early but: Happy Birthday Gaby, and have a nice day together. :)

from Nijmegen with kind regards,

Buferoe
Senate

Post by Senate »

that was a great story!
do you guys plan on making a movie adaptation? :p

I hope (actually I'm sure) Ted didn't forget to set a good encryption on those tiny wifi packets flying through the air... :)

Happy birthday to Gaby!
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

:D I completely have this image in my head of your two giggling like a couple little kids with jam smeared around their mouths. "No Mom we're not doing anything teeheee".

Jur, I don't know how you manage to pull off these fantastic birthday surprises. My guess is (having met your lovely and incredibly smart Gaby) she knows EXACTLY what you and your partner in crime were up to before it even became a completed thought in your mind.

Jur and Ted you two are wonderful! :D
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Jur and Ted,
great story. Happy Birthday to Gaby too. With the new laptop will she be joining the forum? Or maybe she's already here :eek:
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Great story, and no one got hurt! But...
OK, Which Spyderco was used to open the electronics boxes??!?! Happy birthday to your wife Jur!
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
Ted

Post by Ted »

Senate wrote:that was a great story!
do you guys plan on making a movie adaptation? :p

I hope (actually I'm sure) Ted didn't forget to set a good encryption on those tiny wifi packets flying through the air... :)

Happy birthday to Gaby!
Yeah, it's gonna be called 'Jur & Ted's great computer adventures' - cool dude!

Encryption is set - very long hex string... ]
Great story, and no one got hurt! But...
OK, Which Spyderco was used to open the electronics boxes??!?! Happy birthday to your wie Jur![/QUOTE]

Jur's SE Micarta Calypso Jr. :)
travis quaas

Happy B-day Gaby

Post by travis quaas »

Fantastic.

I think the guys have it right...now Gaby has no excuse not to post here!

Gaby, I send my regards and best birthday wishes.

To Ted and Jurphaas..."Good On You!!"

Now...what are in the works for Jurphaas' and Ted's birthdays???? hmmmmm
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

you made sure to hit as many staples as possible with his calypso right? ;)

nothing like partners in crime posting thier tales online.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Jurphaas!

First of all, a happy Birthday to the Mrs.!!!

Second, *sigh*...I wish more people would commit such acts of "crime"!!! ;)

God bless you and yours Jurphaas!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
i.v

Post by i.v »

happy birthday :D
CKE

Post by CKE »

Cheers to the Mrs on her B-Day!

Must be nice to have a forum friend in the same area as you. Other than here no one I know is into knives as much as myself. Thank goodness for this place...you guys are lucky. Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
dialex

Post by dialex »

You guys rock, thanks for the story. :) Just like Joyce said, I had the image of two kids hiding from their mom. Maybe because two days ago I caught my boys in the storeroom (gotta start locking those doors), the little one was trying ALL the apples from the basket (you know, an apple a bite, skip to the next one), while Marcel (he's the big one, 3 years old) was guarding at the door and "smoking" - one among other several "good" things he has learned form his grandpa (aka my father) - any stick or pen he can find makes for a cigarette... at least till we see him :o
OTOH, Happy Birthday to Mrs. Gaby (whenever this happens) ;) May you enjoy your new wireless thingies (I always disliked cables at the computers myself and I'm stuck into them all the time). :(
Jur, looks like you're in the "surprise mode" (the watch is on my wrist as I type, BTW. It's simply amazing) :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jurphaas

just a little up-date

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi guys - Gaby says thanks for the warm remarks and comments. She let's you all know that she will not start posting here but that she has enjoyed all of your reactions.
She is extremely happy with her wireless laptop and she is taking it everywhere. To her the most amazing thing is the wonders that happen when she starts printing recepies via our WiFi HP 6840 wireless printer. It's pure magic and fun.

I obviousely surpized her with this kind of B-day gift. I must admit however that I could not have done it without Ted's help. Ted and I met through this, our very own Forum and I count my blessings for it!
Ted and I have together with the girls already spent many very enjoyable evenings together.

Life is good and Gaby's warmest regards go out to all of you! :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *