Maxamet, Cruwear, or M390 oh my?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

Maxamet, Cruwear, or M390 oh my?

Post by ero2 »

Mediocre sharpening skills here, which concerns me about maxamet, but I like that it can essentially take any punishment you can give it. Cruwear and M390 seem to be in the middle. I’m still very new to the spydie and collecting world, but know I want a sprint pm2.

Normal edc user, camping, food prep, boxes, rope, yard work, nothing insane.

Any recommendations?
ross8425

Re: Maxamet, Cruwear, or M390 oh my?

Post by ross8425 »

Secondary market is ridiculous for the 390 and Cruwear. I would buy the S110V, or even the S30V for what you list, but of course, those aren't sprints; neither is the Maxamet one though. S110V sucks to sharpen though, at least for my novice abilities :)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

oops
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Maybe I'm crazy, but I found Maxamet a lot easier to sharpen than I thought it would, and M390 not as easy as a many say. However, Cruwear is easier to sharpen than either of the other two IMO. Maxamet might be ironically the cheapest because it's production, so that's what I'd probably do out of those three.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

Wait for the maxamet pm2...
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Different train of thought,
If available, why not try on of the CPM-S35VN sprints? While not as pleasant to sharpen as cru-wear, I have founded it to be very easy to sharpen when compared to S110V or M390. Truthfully, while there is a degree of skill in sharpening, what you sharpen with is also important. Without knowing what you sharpen with, any advice someone gives you, while well ment, may just not be right. Happy spending, whatever you buy is well worth the $
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

I agree about the s35vn. I'm also a new spyderco fan. After a rigorous brain download of all things knife over the past couple of months I was fortunate to have my first spyderco acquisition of the new DLT PM2 in m390. Oh and it is sweet. I'm not a collector so this knife is going to be used and for years to come. If I had not come across such a uniquely good deal on a great knife I would likely have gone with the s35vn, or gone with the manic sprint run from Blade hq. that Or waited a while. Now that I have pm2 I know it's the better size and lock up for me. But I'm still gonna get a manic at some point. Anyway have fun deciding.
Link to the sprint s35vn
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP81GP ... sprint-run
PM2 M390 red, Military M4 natural, Military 204p green, 2x Southard's, Positron s35 orange, Raven 2 Byrd