Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by mattman »

I did a quick search for "2-56 threaded inserts"

Here's a promising one...

m.grainger.com/mobile/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-5-32-Brass-Knurled-Press-Insert-4ZU29?breadcrumbCatId=10633
asenna

Post by asenna »

paulwa wrote:
asenna wrote:I did the mod to shorten the flipper tab this morning and it works much better now.

Cool work asenna, that will definitely improve cut-out clearance. I'm guessing the more rounded tab will also make it easier to "push button" flip, if that is your preferred opening method.

I'm really enjoying the mods folks are coming up with... thinking about starting a thread on this with some sort of give away associated with it (still got stacks of maker's mark stickers).

Stay tuned,
- Paul

Yes works great to push botton it now but also works the other way just as well, the mod lets you keep your finger above the lock bar when opening via pushbutton style and your finger ends on the flat without getting pinched by the lockbar.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Just bought my brother a Silverax for a birthday present. He's the type of guy who only gets a new knife every couple of years, but I showed him my Sliverax yesterday and he knew he had to have one, replacing a Sage 1 he's carried for years (also given to him by me). He told me 'any knife that I hold that immediately makes my other knives feel inadequate or not up to the task means I need to get it'. It was the ergos plus blade shape that did it for him.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Evil D wrote:
mattman wrote:
Evil D wrote:
mattman wrote:
Evil D wrote:If I could figure out how to mount a clip onto a strongly rounded handle I'd have some thick G10 scales made and then contour them myself. A handle like this would be insane with a sculpted handle.
I've been thinking about the same problem a little... I think I'll try to mill some on the drill press, and see if I can get it down, then try to sculpt some scales to mill a pocket for the clip (might have to use inserts)
I would want the contoured scales to be a bit thicker overall so they have more of a fixed blade feel and the butt if the handle could almost be round. The problem is in mounting a clip on a thicker handle, I would need a longer clip screw.
That's why I think it would require inserts for the clip screws.

That would work, but where do you source something like that?
I’d use McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) for fasteners, inserts, etc. Almost any parts you’d need and fast, but a tad pricey.
The wire clip is pretty easily reconfigured (i.e. bent) so I agree, the longer screw may be all you need.
And, fully contoured handles would be pretty sweet.

- Paul
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Asenna,

welcome to our forum.

sal
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

paulwa wrote:
joq21 wrote:I am pulling down and away so that my finger doesn’t even touch the back spine of the knife. It fires well with that motion and my finger doesn’t run into the lock and open back.
^^ THIS!!!^^
Howdy all, sorry to bring up an old comment, I must have missed it earlier, but this is how the knife was designed to be flipped.

Paul,

This is my first flipper, so I'm getting used to how to "light switch" it properly. This is now FIRING out consistently with much force. Thanks for sharing your intentions and teaching me in the process.

For any doubters, you're crazy. This things flips great after disassembly (thanks Sal for changing your policy!), some lube, fidgeting and adjustment of the pivot screw. Fantastic action, rock solid lock up and complete free dropper.

What else could we ask for?

Thanks for a great collaboration Paul & Spyderco! Now to Evil D's point, when is the Sprint run coming out in a different steel? CRU WEAR!!!!! :spyder: :D
swigert

Post by swigert »

pulled the trigger on one from BHQ. I said id wait foe the feedback and it is so positive I had to grab one...Sal im with David, can we get M4 please?????
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

Anyone else notice how close the very tip of the blade is to being almost level with the end of the scales when the knife is closed? Aesthetically it is great, but I just about split the end of my finger when I handled the closed knife with the tip of my index finger just below the lanyard hole . I was drawing my finger along the center of the knife just below the lanyard hole. I immediately felt a little snag as the tip of my finger caught the tip of the knife. The fleshy part of my finger just naturally goes between the scales a bit when I hold the knife like this. I may have to be a bit carefull retreaving it from my pocket. I think slightly more width to the scales just near the lanyard hole could solve the issue without ruining the leaness of the design.
asenna

Post by asenna »

sal wrote:Hi Asenna,

welcome to our forum.

sal
Wow, Honored to be welcomed by Sal! Love my Kiwi 4!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Spydersense wrote:Well, after a week of off and on use; I have decided that the flipper tab needed to go.

Thanks for the inspiration David! It's a much better knife now IMO.
Why ? Does it improve the ergos ? I don't have one yet ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
asenna

Post by asenna »

cheeseheaded wrote:Anyone else notice how close the very tip of the blade is to being almost level with the end of the scales when the knife is closed? Aesthetically it is great, but I just about split the end of my finger when I handled the closed knife with the tip of my index finger just below the lanyard hole . I was drawing my finger along the center of the knife just below the lanyard hole. I immediately felt a little snag as the tip of my finger caught the tip of the knife. The fleshy part of my finger just naturally goes between the scales a bit when I hold the knife like this. I may have to be a bit carefull retreaving it from my pocket. I think slightly more width to the scales just near the lanyard hole could solve the issue without ruining the leaness of the design.

I have no problems like this at all. It may be the grind on the blade you received. You can easily fix that by using a flat stone on the spine of your blade to adjust your tip back a little.
asenna

Post by asenna »

Evil D wrote:If I could figure out how to mount a clip onto a strongly rounded handle I'd have some thick G10 scales made and then contour them myself. A handle like this would be insane with a sculpted handle.
The skinnier the better I say so it isn't so bulky in the pocket.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

asenna wrote:
The skinnier the better I say so it isn't so bulky in the pocket.

Well I don't wear skinny jeans so that's not a problem lol. I'd rather it be more ergonomic and feel better in my hand than in my pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

elena86 wrote:
Spydersense wrote:Well, after a week of off and on use; I have decided that the flipper tab needed to go.

Thanks for the inspiration David! It's a much better knife now IMO.
Why ? Does it improve the ergos ? I don't have one yet ...
No, the flipper tab was just annoying to me. It was hitting my index finger a lot. Plus, the knife is so thumb flick friendly, that the flipper just isn't necessary in my opinion.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

Finally got it today!

https://www.youtube.com/watc?v=D7-LAJDdLVg

Pretty much what the others have said. Too bad there are no aftermarket super deep carry clip.
dolor sit amet
joq21

Post by joq21 »

For its worth I am opposite of some... after a week or so of carry I was so glad I didn't make a rash decision to remove the flipper tab. I love the flipper tab on it now. Flipper + compression lock is an awesome equation.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

joq21 wrote:For its worth I am opposite of some... after a week or so of carry I was so glad I didn't make a rash decision to remove the flipper tab. I love the flipper tab on it now. Flipper + compression lock is an awesome equation.
I feel the same way. Flipper works well for me and doesn't hit my index finger when I swing the blade closed. Using the Spydie hole is still my preferred and most natural way to open it but I like having the option of using the flipper tab.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
swigert

Post by swigert »

joq21 wrote:For its worth I am opposite of some... after a week or so of carry I was so glad I didn't make a rash decision to remove the flipper tab. I love the flipper tab on it now. Flipper + compression lock is an awesome equation.

Just got mine, I will see what I think also, its a perfect specimen, detent could be a little stronger but its just fine, I may remove the nub but idk...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Gone baby gone, the tab is gone... Gone away... ;)

So much better now! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

Hey folks, I have had my Sliverax for almost 2 weeks and I really like it. It took a little while to get used to the flipper tab and where my finger had to be to dodge it. I can see why some people removed it and I considered maybe just grinding the tab a little smaller. After looking at my Sage 5 I noticed the cutout for the compression lock was larger than on the Sliverax. Anyone think that if you cut the liner and scale to add just a slightly larger cutout(similar to the Sage 5- pictures below) it would give more space to lower your finger placement to avoid the tab with no adjustments to the tab. Since the liners aren’t nested for the area cutout to get to the comp. lock release but then go into nested liners(pic below) could this work?

Would doing this work? I love the knife already so I don’t fully know if it’s worth trying but I don’t know just thought I’d see if it’s feasible.(sorry if this is redundant I should of read through the whole thread first)

- Okan
:spyder: CO1 Worker 2014 Sprint(x2)-Southard-Myrtle-PM2 S110v-Sage 5-Sliverax-Lum Tanto FB Sprint-Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189-Delica 4 G-10-Manix 2 FW-Endura 4-Tasman-Roadie-Delica 2 Stainless-Tenacious Turtle-Bug :spyder:

Dreaming for a Pacific Salt 2 FFG LC200n and a
Manix 2 XL back lock