Hurricane Irma

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
i am travvy

Re: Hurricane Irma

Post by i am travvy »

We are hunkered down as well. Windows boarded up, plenty of water and food, generator with a hookup to the house. Should be good to go. All of my fellow floridians stay safe.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

There were prayers at Mass tonight for the safety and protection of all those affected by Irma..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Looks like the eye will be going over us in polk county in another hour or so. Still have power for now but it keeps flickering.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

i am travvy wrote:Looks like the eye will be going over us in polk county in another hour or so. Still have power for now but it keeps flickering.
Still have power here too. I'm amazed. Wind is really howling and getting some heavy thuds on the roof.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

mb1 wrote:
i am travvy wrote:Looks like the eye will be going over us in polk county in another hour or so. Still have power for now but it keeps flickering.
Still have power here too. I'm amazed. Wind is really howling and getting some heavy thuds on the roof.
Yeah same here. Lots and lots of thuds. What's freaking me out is we have 6 huge oak trees and two other big trees right next to the house. Just a waiting game now
mb1

Post by mb1 »

i am travvy wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Yeah same here. Lots and lots of thuds. What's freaking me out is we have 6 huge oak trees and two other big trees right next to the house. Just a waiting game now
We have a few that have me concerned. Hope you come thru unscathed.
- Mark

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Got through the eye. Power is now out, half of our fencing is down and at least one tree is down. Time to ride out the rest and to check everything in the morning.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Up here in the Raleigh NC area it was pretty mild. I had a brief outage but the grid came back up before repair was needed.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Still have no power and no update on when they will have it back on.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

i am travvy wrote:Still have no power and no update on when they will have it back on.
That sucks. Hopefully you hear something soon. Somehow we never lost power more than a quick blip, and we usually lose it in severe thunderstorms.

Duke Energy sent out an automated call I received this morning laying out their plan. Sounds like a few more days, with a lot of areas targeted by the weekend. You may well be with another provider, but hopefully they make quick progress. They sure have an impressive fleet of trucks that have come in from all over the country. Pretty awesome response.
- Mark

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

mb1 wrote:
i am travvy wrote:Still have no power and no update on when they will have it back on.
That sucks. Hopefully you hear something soon. Somehow we never lost power more than a quick blip, and we usually lose it in severe thunderstorms.

Duke Energy sent out an automated call I received this morning laying out their plan. Sounds like a few more days, with a lot of areas targeted by the weekend. You may well be with another provider, but hopefully they make quick progress. They sure have an impressive fleet of trucks that have come in from all over the country. Pretty awesome response.
We have teco (Tampa electric) and I have yet to even see a truck around here. Almost everyone in this area have power except my neighborhood. I know they have a lot of work to do but they need to hurry it up because I can't deal with my pregnant girlfriend anymore lmao
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Very fortunate the house and boat made it thru the storm. Haven't gotten back into the Keys as power and water are still out in my son's area. He says it's best to wait a bit longer to allow power and first responders to get their work done. Our hurricane plan, days of prep and hard work paid off. Been busy with the chain saw. The power in our "woods" home will probably be out for another week or two. Our generator crapped out after about 8 hours. Motor runs fine but no ac voltage. Thank God for family, power, showers, and patience.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Just got told we now have power back at home. Can't wait to soak up that ac and take a nice hot shower.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

i am travvy wrote:Just got told we now have power back at home. Can't wait to soak up that ac and take a nice hot shower.
Good deal. Always boggles my mind to think people settled this state with no ac. What were they thinking??!

We still have neighbors with no power. We feel very blessed.

@Tdog glad you came thru ok. The cleanup is a lot of work. Think I may cut up a downed tree for a neighbor this morn.
- Mark

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a question about the hygiene aspects of this disaster. First of all, I am glad that those who went through that are doing better, I hope and pray all will be well for you.

Question: Are there going to be long-term health hazards related to the toxic biological and chemical effects, such as human waste in the water, or will this be dealt with ?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

WOOOO HOOOOOOOO. Got our power back on yesterday around 3:30. Spent all day cleaning the house, fridge, freezer, etc. Had over 20 piles of debris in the yard. Fortunately we're in an area where we can burn. Had a large hickory tree down over the driveway, other than that not too bad. My son in the Keys Has been working 12-14 hour days since the storm. Hopes to get a day off next week. 1rst responders in the Keys are hard at it helping others get more back to normal. For many it will take time. In spite of the destruction, Thankful all family and friends are doing ok.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Tdog wrote:WOOOO HOOOOOOOO. Got our power back on yesterday around 3:30. Spent all day cleaning the house, fridge, freezer, etc. Had over 20 piles of debris in the yard. Fortunately we're in an area where we can burn. Had a large hickory tree down over the driveway, other than that not too bad. My son in the Keys Has been working 12-14 hour days since the storm. Hopes to get a day off next week. 1rst responders in the Keys are hard at it helping others get more back to normal. For many it will take time. In spite of the destruction, Thankful all family and friends are doing ok.
Dang man...that's a long stretch with no ac! Glad your back up and running.

On the bright side, you've got some good smoking wood to use there.
- Mark

Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Got back from the Keys after spending a week helping my son and daughter-in-law clean up their place. They made it thru the storm ok with minimal damage to the house. Gutters down and fencing smashed but no flooding. Lost two large avocado trees, mango trees were pushed over but was able to upright them with a come along and braces. Cut up two downed palm trees, a frangipani tree, and topped the lychee tree. Not sure it will live. Stihl saws are the best. My old Wood Boss is one baaad boy. There are miles of debris stacked along the roadsides, many businesses and restaurants still closed. While power and water has been restored it's going to take many months and longer for some to get "back to normal". Keep folks there in your thoughts and prayers. While the storm has passed, the frustration, fatigue, and work ahead will be difficult. Here's a pic of the debris from the house.
Keys debris.JPG
Keys debris.JPG (34.62 KiB) Viewed 3439 times