Native sprint question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
calebj06

Native sprint question

Post by calebj06 »

I just stumbled across a native FRN with a black PLAIN edge blade.

I believe this was a sprint run. Am I correct?

If so, this would probably be a decent investment no?

Looks about B+ shape. Tiny clip wear. Comes with a black box.

Blade says 003v

Caleb
bh49

Re: Native sprint question

Post by bh49 »

Pictures of the knife and the box will be helpful. I cannot recall black boxes for full size knives. There was sprint of 400 pieces for ORIGINAL Golden made Native with black PE blade, but box was kind of grey back then.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The 003V is a collector's number. The blade is marked CPMS30V steel. Interesting knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Post by bh49 »

this is it. one out of 400. Rare sprint
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Did they make a serrated one? Was it a sprint run?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IIRC CE was production
Last edited by bh49 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:this is it. one out of 400. Rare sprint
Are you sure, Roman? I know the PE black bladed Native wasn't around for long, but I was under the impression it was a "limited production" piece, not a Sprint Run.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Spydiewiki doesn't show it as a Sprint Run, it looks like it was limited to 2006 only? It's in the 2006 catalog on page 10 http://spydiewiki.com/models/catalogs/spyderco2006.pdf as regular production. Maybe Jabba will chime in.

(Edit) After further review it looks like only the PE Satin is listed in the catalog...I didn't catch that at first glance.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Paul,

You right, certainly not official sprint, possibly not even official limited run. First time C41BBK Native Black Blade shown in CE, than in 2006 catalog in PE and CE. 2007 catalog doesn't specify edge type. 2008 catalog specifying PS. I heard many times about 400 produced, but never read Spyderco statement regarding the knife. So per catalogs, it looks like production with unknown number produced between 2006 and 2007. One of the grey areas of Spyderco history like Orange Military or pink Delica.
Roman

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:Paul,

You right, certainly not official sprint, possibly not even official limited run. First time C41BBK Native Black Blade shown in CE, than in 2006 catalog in PE and CE. 2007 catalog doesn't specify edge type. 2008 catalog specifying PS. I heard many times about 400 produced, but never read Spyderco statement regarding the knife. So per catalogs, it looks like production with unknown number produced between 2006 and 2007. One of the grey areas of Spyderco history like Orange Military or pink Delica.
Roman
Yep, that's more like what I've been hearing over the years. FWIW, the pink Delica 4 was a Sprint and was always suppose to be 1200 pieces. Some folks, and one whiny flipper in particular, got bent out of shape because they assumed the first batch of 600 was the entire run and cried foul when they found there would be more.

As for investment potential. As with most "low volume" Spyderco variants, a C41PBBK in absolutely "like new" and comes with the appropriate box in similar condition, would have some. Anything less, and potential collector interest declines dramatically.

EDITED TO ADD: It appears there were at least two batches of them produced, approximately 6 months apart. There's a thread from a couple years ago showing one with a box bearing a JE (Oct '2005) date code, while the box for mine has a DF (Apr 2006) date code. There could be earlier ones, later ones, or ones in between, but there were definitely at least two batches. To me at least, that tends to support the theory that more than 400 were produced.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

Wow. Tons of info. Thanks guys. I went ahead and got it. Pics when it gets here.

So here is the biggest question for me,
Would I be an idiot to actually carry and use the thing??

Caleb
bh49

Post by bh49 »

for me this is simple: do with this knife whatever you enjoy the most.