"I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: "I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
Evil D wrote:Where were all of you when the S90V/CF exclusive sat on shelves for 6 months not selling? That's why we don't see more sprints in knives like this. When they risk not selling them, it doesn't make them too keen on doing another run.
+1 very good point David, it was remarkable how long these sat around, I was even tempted to buy a 3rd. Seemed like the longest time you couldn't even find a G10 production model.

I do think the S110V's will sell well though, but doubt we'll see a sprint any time soon.

I would have bet money those would sell out the first day, because exactly like you said for so long you couldn't find the standard version until Spyderco expanded in Golden. I guess maybe the price pushed some away but it has been my most used knife overall since I got it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
farnorthdan wrote: Seemed like the longest time you couldn't even find a G10 production model.
I seem to remember Janich saying they halted production while he was working for BlackHawk. Now that he is back with the Spyderco Team Yojimbo's are easier to come by.
Seemed like just a couple years back they were scarce, not sure exact time frame MJ was gone.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've got an idea, i see that they are coming out with a new mule team. a "Maxamet" Yojimbo 2 would make me happy.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Evil D wrote:Where were all of you when the S90V/CF exclusive sat on shelves for 6 months not selling? That's why we don't see more sprints in knives like this. When they risk not selling them, it doesn't make them too keen on doing another run.
+1 very good point David, it was remarkable how long these sat around, I was even tempted to buy a 3rd. Seemed like the longest time you couldn't even find a G10 production model.

I do think the S110V's will sell well though, but doubt we'll see a sprint any time soon.

I would have bet money those would sell out the first day, because exactly like you said for so long you couldn't find the standard version until Spyderco expanded in Golden. I guess maybe the price pushed some away but it has been my most used knife overall since I got it.
Yea I thought they would too, I think part of it might have been that the CF Manix2 XL dropped at the same time (do you remember who did the M2 XL exclusive), I ended up picking up 1 Yo2 CF and had to hold off for a bit before picking up a second, for some reason $200 seemed like a lot of money back then :o now most of the pieces I want start at $200 :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

Yea I thought they would too, I think part of it might have been that the CF Manix2 XL dropped at the same time (do you remember who did the M2 XL exclusive), I ended up picking up 1 Yo2 CF and had to hold off for a bit before picking up a second, for some reason $200 seemed like a lot of money back then :o now most of the pieces I want start at $200 :D
Didn't KW do both?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
swigert

Post by swigert »

farnorthdan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

Weren't both KW?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

PaleMoon wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I love 52100 but not on this sort of knife (sort of a specialty knife that CAN be EDC but often times will sit in a collection). M4, 3V, Cruwear, AEB-L @ 62RC, or Nitrobe 77.
With the hollow grind on the Yo2, AEB-L sound like it could be interesting. But I don't know enough about steel properties to know if it would fit the rest of the blade shape

I would love a Yo2 in jade g10. Any steel really.. Maybe RWL34 or CPM 154?
AEB-L would be fine with any grind, but I like low carbide steels on my wharncliffe blades, personally. AEB-L is a tremendously well rounded steel (tough, corrosion resistant, good edge retention, etc)

Yo2 were hard to find because Golden couldn't keep up at the time I believe. The Yo2 was designed after Janich came back, but Yo1 was before he left. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how he explained it in his video.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yo2 were hard to find because Golden couldn't keep up at the time I believe. The Yo2 was designed after Janich came back, but Yo1 was before he left. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how he explained it in his video.
you are probably right. I don't remember exactly.
heres the link to his video.
Evolution of the Spyderco Yojimbo 2
https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

Didn't KW do both?
Dang I can't remember, I do remember they came out at the same time,

Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

Blurple g10 s110v

Boar-gen
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Boar-gen wrote:Blurple g10 s110v

Boar-gen
I already have a s110v blurple knife, that seems to be the most popular idea so far though, and Spyderco is already geared to go on those materials, and if they made one i'd buy it, but i hope for a sprint run of something unique. (they should totally make an s110v standard production model though)

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Boar-gen
I already have a s110v blurple knife, that seems to be the most popular idea so far though, and Spyderco is already geared to go on those materials, and if they made one i'd buy it, but i hope for a sprint run of something unique. (they should totally make an s110v standard production model though)
They are doing the s110v Yo2, it's already been comfirmed. :)

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

As long as it wasn't orange, I'd be interested in anything
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

FDE G-10 grips with black blade
SG89

Post by SG89 »

farnorthdan wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Boar-gen
Say what now...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Boar-gen
Say what now...
+1

Where was this confirmed? If this is true then I know what will be on my short list.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with a midlock, 50/50 choil, and polished blue G-10 scales. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
farnorthdan wrote: Seemed like the longest time you couldn't even find a G10 production model.
I seem to remember Janich saying they halted production while he was working for BlackHawk. Now that he is back with the Spyderco Team Yojimbo's are easier to come by.
Thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm for a Yo2 Sprint. I really enjoy hearing your thoughts and ideas.

To clarify the quote above, I taught MBC under Spyderco's auspices from 1999-2004, when I went to work for BlackHawk. The first generation Yojimbo was released toward the end of that period. Part of the reason it was short lived was my career choice.

In 2009, I left BlackHawk and had the good fortune of joining Spyderco as a full-time employee. Shortly thereafter, Sal and Eric asked me to design another knife and the Yojimbo 2 was the result. It was released in late 2011 and has been in high demand ever since. As our new factory gets even more efficient, our backlog on them has gotten much better and that are now much more readily available. That also means the potential for Sprints or Exclusives is also higher.

Thanks again for everyone's enthusiasm for the Yo 2!!! I'm honored to know that my design is serving you well!!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

farnorthdan wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Boar-gen
Are you sure? Or are you mistakenly mixing this up with the FRN S110V that was confirmed? Like everyone else here it seems were unaware that this was confirmed. It would be a huge deal if it was.

Thanks for more Yojimbo 2 history Mike. I love hearing the back stories about these knives.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Deacon wrote:I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with a midlock, 50/50 choil, and polished blue G-10 scales. ;)
Heck yeah :) I wish they would make a Manix with a back/mid lock again too...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb