You awake one morning and all of your Spyderco knives are gone.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akaAK

Re: You awake one morning and all of your Spyderco knives are gone.

Post by akaAK »

$300 CAD doesn't go nearly as far but I'll play.

SS CE Endura
HAP40 Stretch
Ambitious (to round it off)
skers95

Post by skers95 »

MichaelScott wrote:I need to respond to my own scenario:

Dragonfly 2 HAP40
Gayle Bradley 2
Stretch HAP40

If that would break the $300 limit, I'd go for the VG-10 Dragonfly 2
The Gayle Bradley looks mighty tempting... I'd like to hold one in hand but live in a fairly small town without a Spyderco dealer that I'm aware of.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:$300 worth of Hap40 goodness ;)
+1 :D

However, I would personally take the $300 and bet it all on red. After winning the jack-pot, I would then log onto New Graham, Blade HQ, Cutlery Shoppe, Knives Plus, Knives Ship Free, Knife Center, Oso Grande, Grand Prairie, Sooner State, Country Knives, and a few others and buy pretty much any Spydie that tickled my fancy.

(JK, of course. :p I don't gamble anyway.)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:

However, I would personally take the $300 and bet it all on red. After winning the jack-pot, I would then log onto New Graham, Blade HQ, Cutlery Shoppe, Knives Plus, Knives Ship Free, Knife Center, Oso Grande, Grand Prairie, Sooner State, Country Knives, and a few others and buy pretty much any Spydie that tickled my fancy.

Lol do they pay you for those shoutouts
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

skers95 wrote: The Gayle Bradley looks mighty tempting... I'd like to hold one in hand but live in a fairly small town without a Spyderco dealer that I'm aware of.
Doooo it. The handle is quite grip agnostic, with just enough guidelines to lock in hard for stronger cuts. The only uncomfortable way I've found to hold it is edge in palm trying to cut with the handle.

Just a bit more expensive (~$15) than a standard PM2, same handle length with nearly 0.5" more M4 blade.
skers95

Post by skers95 »

hoimin wrote:
skers95 wrote: The Gayle Bradley looks mighty tempting... I'd like to hold one in hand but live in a fairly small town without a Spyderco dealer that I'm aware of.
Doooo it. The handle is quite grip agnostic, with just enough guidelines to lock in hard for stronger cuts. The only uncomfortable way I've found to hold it is edge in palm trying to cut with the handle.

Just a bit more expensive (~$15) than a standard PM2, same handle length with nearly 0.5" more M4 blade.
Dang you! :) I have pretty large hands and have a Manix 2 LW that I like but find myself just not quite syncing up with the grip and choil. Pretty darn good but guess I'm finding personally I like grips that aren't quite as "fixed" if that makes sense. The Gayle Bradley handle looks interesting and a nice mix. You're going to make me check it out now...
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

skers95 wrote: Dang you! :) I have pretty large hands and have a Manix 2 LW that I like but find myself just not quite syncing up with the grip and choil. Pretty darn good but guess I'm finding personally I like grips that aren't quite as "fixed" if that makes sense. The Gayle Bradley handle looks interesting and a nice mix. You're going to make me check it out now...
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I don't like dictatorial grips either because unless it was designed for my specific hand, it's not going to work optimally.
Just so we don't derail MichealScott's thread, swing by the GB2 thread for the pictures and videos and other resolve-crumbling temptations.
skers95

Post by skers95 »

hoimin wrote:
skers95 wrote: Dang you! :) I have pretty large hands and have a Manix 2 LW that I like but find myself just not quite syncing up with the grip and choil. Pretty darn good but guess I'm finding personally I like grips that aren't quite as "fixed" if that makes sense. The Gayle Bradley handle looks interesting and a nice mix. You're going to make me check it out now...
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I don't like dictatorial grips either because unless it was designed for my specific hand, it's not going to work optimally.
Just so we don't derail MichealScott's thread, swing by the GB2 thread for the pictures and videos and other resolve-crumbling temptations.
I was also just thinking the same about derailing the thread. I'll check out that thread for sure.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Hope this situation did not happened to you MichaelScott !

My choice would be

Dragonfly
Native 5
UKPK
Should be around $300 or 300 € and I'll be well covered with those 3.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

SpyderNut wrote:However, I would personally take the $300 and bet it all on red. After winning the jack-pot...
A winning bet on red only doubles your money ... so you're going to have to do it a few times. Pick a number and win, and you end up with 36 times your bet.. That's more like it.

Gordon
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nasgul wrote:Hope this situation did not happened to you MichaelScott !

My choice would be

Dragonfly
Native 5
UKPK
No, this is a theoretical exercise. I'd love to be a collector and have all of the Spydercos I would like, but having to spend wisely (mostly...) my interest is in which affordable knives would suit forumites best as users and also be pleasing to your sense of esthetics.

For me the DF2 is the best all-around EDC knife that satisfies my categories. For a larger folder, I suspect the GB2 is a top contender although I haven't actually had one in hand. I think my nearest Spyderco dealer is a two hour drive one way, but I may get to SFO next Monday returning home from Boulder in order to try out a GB2 and a few others for the wish list. If so, I will report on that to the forum under the appropriate thread.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Domino
SE Pac Salt
kick in some extra cash and get a Stretch (sprint run or ZDP).
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Lol do they pay you for those shoutouts
Haha! Unfortunately, they do not give me any compensation. :( Maybe I just need to buy more knives. :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gaj999 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:However, I would personally take the $300 and bet it all on red. After winning the jack-pot...
A winning bet on red only doubles your money ... so you're going to have to do it a few times. Pick a number and win, and you end up with 36 times your bet.. That's more like it.

Gordon
Well said, Gordon. I will share the loot with you. ;) :D

Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

MichaelScott wrote:
Nasgul wrote:Hope this situation did not happened to you MichaelScott !

My choice would be

Dragonfly
Native 5
UKPK
No, this is a theoretical exercise. I'd love to be a collector and have all of the Spydercos I would like, but having to spend wisely (mostly...) my interest is in which affordable knives would suit forumites best as users and also be pleasing to your sense of esthetics.

For me the DF2 is the best all-around EDC knife that satisfies my categories. For a larger folder, I suspect the GB2 is a top contender although I haven't actually had one in hand. I think my nearest Spyderco dealer is a two hour drive one way, but I may get to SFO next Monday returning home from Boulder in order to try out a GB2 and a few others for the wish list. If so, I will report on that to the forum under the appropriate thread.
Glad to see it was what I was hoping, an "exercise".

I love my Dragonfly's !!! It's the only model in any brand for which I have so many !
Just don't know how I discover them so late.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Military in Cruwear
Delica in VG10
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

So far, the top scores are (Knife model.... number of mentions)

Totally a random and uncontrolled survey, but interesting, especially when the Delicas in HAP40 and the GB2 are tied for top mentions.

Delia 4 ....5
Gayle Bradley 2....4
HAP40 Delica....4

Dragonfly 2....3
Sprig....3

Ambitious 2
HAP40 Stretch 2
Ladybug Salt Hawkbill 2
Paramilitary 2 2
Paramilitary m4 2
SS CE Endura 2

All the rest got one mention each:
Centofante 3 1
CF/Ti S90 Millie 1
Chaparral 1 1
Chaparral CF 1
Current Mule 1
Domino 1
Dragonfly 2 HAP40 1
Endura 1
Gayle Bradley 1
HAP40 endura 1
Manbug SE 1
Manix 2 LW s110v 1
Manix 2 S30V 1
Mantra 1
Military Cruwear 1
Native 5 1
Pacific Salt serrated 1
Paramilitary S110v 1
Resilience 1
SE Pac Salt 1
Stretch HAP40 1
UKPK 1
Yo 2 1
Last edited by MichaelScott on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Techno, Santoku, and maybe a Manix 2 (the third is difficult).

(For what it's worth, I paid $158 for Techno, $40 for Santoku)
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

GB2 & double stuff
lukez21

Post by lukez21 »

Have to go with:

PM2 S110
HAP40 delica
Dragonfly 2 salt