BladeHQ All Spyderco Lock Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slone

Re: BladeHQ All Spyderco Lock Test

Post by Slone »

...this is ONE test, out of many different ways to do it.
Love the flying bearing :D ..it probably gonna boost the sales on the Sage3 anyway.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I am in the minority it seems, but I enjoyed the test. Any time people put in $ and their efforts to test knives I like it. Not perfect, but some good comparison.

How about a bolt action Military 2 - that sounds nasty to me!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

The test, while flawed, was fun. I like BladeHQs test shenanigans. This video led me to their Holiday EDC competition, which was hilarious.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

hoimin wrote:The test, while flawed, was fun. I like BladeHQs test shenanigans. This video led me to their Holiday EDC competition, which was hilarious.
Yea I love their other vids and as a company they are A+.

I'm sure the lockbreaking videos are great for view count :rolleyes: so won't fault them that much.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZMW wrote:I am in the minority it seems, but I enjoyed the test. Any time people put in $ and their efforts to test knives I like it. Not perfect, but some good comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy these videos and I appreciate that they will take the hit and destroy knives for our amusement (though they could just mail them to me instead lol). But, I just hate to see good knives broken for a test that isn't set up correctly. If you wanna find out which of these locks will take the most weight, then set up the experiment the right way. That's the part that bugs me. I especially like the fact that this video isn't pitting one company against another, and they're not trying to single out some top dog knife or lock. But again, it's hard to judge any of this beyond just entertainment when there's such an obvious flaw in the testing. I'm far from an engineer, but when the flaw is this obvious to me, it sort of ruins the credibility of the people doing the test, and I hate to see that when they're otherwise trying to hard to deliver a great video.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ZMW wrote:I am in the minority it seems, but I enjoyed the test. Any time people put in $ and their efforts to test knives I like it. Not perfect, but some good comparison.

I definitely enjoyed it. But there's a world of difference between enjoyable and educational and there are a lot of things I enjoy watching to which I don't necessarily lend much credence.

I buy midlocks because I trust them based on years of personal experience and because appreciate both their hand neutrality and strong closing bias. I wouldn't let those tests, or any others, affect my buying decisions even if the midlock had made the poorest showing rather than the best.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Delica seems relatively weak around the pivot area so the blade snaps off.

A nice piece of rubber could've helped with the slippages.

They should've chosen all Sage models for even fewer variables. I think the Frame lock test would've done better with a Sage 2.

Sage 1: Liner lock
Sage 2: Frame lock
Sage 3: Bolt action lock
Sage 4: Back lock

Sal said future Sage models will have Compression and Button locks. I'm sure there will be other models with other locking mechanisms. Hopefully, Powerlock as well.

LOCK & JOINT MECHANISMS: http://catalog2016.spyderco.com/?BuildG ... 103b8c209a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love their videos, if only because I love knives. They should do this again with the Sage1-8 ;) Maybe by then their methodology will improve slightly.

EDIT: ^^^You type faster than me!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Flawed test? Seriously? All those knives took way more force than you can exert on the handle of a knife while doing any job a knife is designed to perform.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I would've been more interested to see the handles pulled in the other direction, as you're more likely to be concerned with lock failure when trying to force the blade through a hard material, flexing the spine of the blade towards the spine of the handle, as opposed to forcing the blade closed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Flawed test? Seriously? All those knives took way more force than you can exert on the handle of a knife while doing any job a knife is designed to perform.
But did we really need a test to know that? I don't think that was the goal of the test was it?
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

All I know is when they showed that sprint Brown S35v PM2 I went "nooooooooooooooo!" Thankfully is was not a sprint. That being said I was not surprised that a CE D4 or SE Tenacious showed up as I bet those two were getting dusty. I like the tests
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Deacon wrote:
tap78 wrote:
remnar wrote:The position of the cable loop keeps the lock bar from disengaging and possibly deforming. The only outcome would be a broken blade, handle or possibly a broken lock bar.
Good point Remnar...
Not really, that would only be true if the cable was positioned forward of the lockbar pivot, and that did not appear to be the case.

You could make as similar and perhaps more valid point regarding framelocks, the cable would tend to deepen the lockbar's engagement and would absolutely prevent it from failing by moving outward and releasing.

On a totally different note, I wonder how one of Spyderco's higher quality liner locks would have fared.

Good catch Deacon. I thought that the cable was below the pivot but after watching it again that does not appear to be the case. The cable either starts right at or above the pivot but it is hard to say with the blue tape wrapped around the handle. The tests are interesting and do give us some information but there are many uncontrolled variables, like loop slippage, that could have effected the results to take these tests too seriously. I still enjoyed watching and found it very entertaining.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Evil D wrote:
Pinetreebbs wrote:Flawed test? Seriously? All those knives took way more force than you can exert on the handle of a knife while doing any job a knife is designed to perform.
But did we really need a test to know that? I don't think that was the goal of the test was it?
Some folks have an almost religious fascination for lock strength. far beyond any relation to actual use, for them, this test may just be critical. For everyone else, it boils down to spectacle. For HQ, it sells knives and their brand.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Fkrow wrote:
Evil D wrote:Am I the only one who sees the giant flaw in this test? If they don't figure out a way to secure that loop around the handle and prevent it from sliding up, the force applied to the lock is increased as the wire slides up because it's gaining leverage. I hate to be a Debbie downer, but this test is absolutely meaningless and doesn't show anything more than how leverage works.
Exactly my first impression.

The blades were slipping in the vice/clamp which also allowed the cable to slip down the handle.

Very sloppy set up.

Regards,
FK
+ 1 I was actually just wondering that myself. We used to use a 6' pipe on a pipe wrench to break stubborn bolts free back when I was helping my dad work on cars. It was amazing what could be done on rusty bolts once enough leverage was applied.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
+ 1 I was actually just wondering that myself. We used to use a 6' pipe on a pipe wrench to break stubborn bolts free back when I was helping my dad work on cars. It was amazing what could be done on rusty bolts once enough leverage was applied.
The lever is one of the original simple machines discovered by man. Empires were built and destroyed with little more. It's a pretty amazing science.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
The lever is one of the original simple machines discovered by man. Empires were built and destroyed with little more. It's a pretty amazing science.
Yep. As my dad used to say, "If you have a big enough lever, you can move the world." ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

it was fan to watch. I enjoyed it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Yep. As my dad used to say, "If you have a big enough lever, you can move the world." ;)
Your father is Archimedes? :eek: :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Your father is Archimedes? :eek: :D
Lol. No, but I think he may have had a tendency to plagiarize things once in a while. ;) :)