Street Beat-Lightweight or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Street Beat-Lightweight or not?

Post by spyderwolf »

My next target is a Street Beat,and i saw the lightweight running a around 80$-almost 50$ cheaper then the micarta version.Tempting for my wallet,but i realy like the looks of the regular beat.So,what you guy say,which one?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Street Beat-Lightweight or not?

Post by Doc Dan »

I have been weighing the pros and cons of this, myself. I lean towards the cheaper version for practicality. But the other one looks better. Still, since the S110V folders will be hitting the market, I think I will save money and eventually get the cheaper of the two.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The regular one is very nice. I personally don't like coated blades so it an easy choice for me. I have the original. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Get the original with micarta. Not only is the knife much nicer, but the sheath is WAY better. This is a very big difference between the two models.

The original Street Beat is awesome.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PM1 wrote:Get the original with micarta. Not only is the knife much nicer, but the sheath is WAY better. This is a very big difference between the two models.

The original Street Beat is awesome.
I couldn't agree more with what "PM1" just said. I've had the original Micarta version for years now and like I've said about 3 other great original Spyderco models I've had for years>> "They Got It Right The First Time". But hey if the lightweight version will fill a need for someone then more power to them.

The awesome Micarta handle on the original model is just sweet and well balanced and just feels perfect in my hand. The STREETBEAT model isn't even an overweight knife in it's original form anyway>> to me it's like a lady friend, fellow worker of mine who is pretty, petite and weighs about 90 lbs soaking wet but yet she drinks diet soft drinks :rolleyes: And a lighter version of the STREETBEAT doesn't make any sense to me either :confused: But more power to those who do like it.

I just feel extremely confident with the original solid Micarta handle as well as the original sheath which is very versatile IMO. Long live the original STREETBEAT :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

An important point is that the LW in fact ways the same as the original so weight is not actually a factor. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I only own the original and can highly recommend it. It is beautifully crafted and is a purchase I have never regretted.

If I have a choice I usually do not go for coated blades.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I own both, the original version is an amazing knife. I bought the lightweight based solely on my love for the original and while it is nice, the original feels better in my hand and the fit and finish is perfect. If you the original is within your budget I'd say go for it.

Dan
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The original. I think you will be sorry if you don't get it. One of those knives that is about perfect for its purpose, and is aesthetically fine to boot.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Thank you for the comparison photos, Reject. I've considered picking up a lightweight and the pictures help with the decision. Can you please post pictures comparing the sheaths.
Reject

Post by Reject »

The sheathes for the original and new Street Beat are the same. The new model will fit firmly in the old sheath, but original Street Beat is very loose in the new sheath and rattles.

Image Image
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Thanks;guys.The original it is,then.
Reject,great pics,they helped me a lot making the final decision.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Reject wrote:The sheathes for the original and new Street Beat are the same.
My Street Beat has a totally different sheath. They must have switched it at some point.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

The original is a great knife. The original is only 3.2 oz. The only reason I would reccomend the LW is cost.
Reject

Post by Reject »

PM1 wrote:
Reject wrote:The sheathes for the original and new Street Beat are the same.
My Street Beat has a totally different sheath. They must have switched it at some point.
Can you post a photo of your Street Beat sheath.
Image It will interesting see how it has been changed.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Reject wrote: Can you post a photo of your Street Beat sheath.
I am in Germany now, so I can't take a photo of mine, but it is the same as this photo that I found via Google Images. It was taken by somebody called Brummie on Blade Forums, so credit for the photo goes to him. You can see the original Street Beat sheath on the bottom.
Attachments
streetbeatsheaths.jpg
Reject

Post by Reject »

PM1 wrote:
Reject wrote: Can you post a photo of your Street Beat sheath.
I am in Germany now, so I can't take a photo of mine, but it is the same as this photo that I found via Google Images. It was taken by somebody called Brummie on Blade Forums, so credit for the photo goes to him. You can see the original Street Beat sheath on the bottom.
Image I see what you mean.

My original Street Beat sheath is the same. :o I may have been generalising a bit to much in saying they were the same sheath. It is definitely an undated sheath with the Street Beat black.

My Street Beat is a few years old, so not sure about the current sheath with them.

Image Image
Zen

Post by Zen »

I am also trying do decide which one of them I want. Is there any difference in the handles like thickness, ergonomics, grip?
The handle of the lightweight seems to be safer with wet or dirty hands. I think for food preparing and kitchenwork it be more usefull for me.
Or is there anyone who doesnt like the gripergonomic or can say something against one of the models?
I read alot of rewiews about the knives and I would say 2 out of 100 can say something negative.
One didnt fit the handle well and the other one said the knife isn´t better then any other knife. The handle thickness is very important for me.
I have XL/XXL hands and long fingers :) Mostly thick grips like on some kitchen knifes with a slightly round handle
and good grip retention suits me well. The Salt serie and some Becker models
with the coke bottle handles are my favour. Dont know if I will be satiesfied with the choil grip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TheRaven wrote:The original is a great knife. The original is only 3.2 oz. The only reason I would reccomend the LW is cost.
I agree with you wholeheartedly "Raven" and that's about how I would sum it up as well. My STREETBEAT is the original Micarta handled version and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way if I had my preference. However I had at one time given thought to getting a lightweight STREETBEAT model as a possible tackle box knife. Or it might even be a good candidate to keep a knife like that in a toolbox as well. But for one to do my main cutting with I'll take the rigid version any day of the week.

Now one lightweight, fixed blade Spyder that I hold high is my TEMPERANCE 1 model. That's one premium Spyderco IN HOUSE design that I'll aways love. I'm holding out hope that someday they'll make either an H-1 version or a Supersteel Sprint Run. The TEMP 1 is one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades that was available in Spyderedge and I've always wanted to see what a STREETBEAT would be like with teeth :cool: