Are my new Enduras genuine? How do I know?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SWGannicus

Are my new Enduras genuine? How do I know?

Post by SWGannicus »

Hi all,

I've been collecting fixed blades for some time, but only recently started to research into folding knives, besides those classic Swiss Army Knives every boy ever has used. Got my first Spydercos a few days ago as a birthday gift from my little brother: a pair of flat ground Endura 4s (bro knows I like to keep a safe queen and user out of every knife I can get my mitts on, where possible). And man, do I like the looks of them! I always hated how difficult those Swiss Army Knives are to open, especially impossible with gloves or just one hand, but these Endura-things can be opened with those military winter gloves people call No-Can-Dos because they are so... well, not good for precision. :D

Normally I'd just be happy with my new steel, but what with folders being a new thing for me, I did a little too much research, maybe, and got a little spooked after reading all the things about counterfeit folders, including Spydercos. Especially this one post I noticed was rather a nightmarish scenario:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Do the counterfeiters also include copies of the Spyderco warranty and papers that usually come with the box, or not? That would be one way to know if its for real?
A lot of them do, and sometimes a fake seller will buy a real Spyderco from a retailer and return the fake in the box to the retailer.

{Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65247#p972442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; }
So, that concept pretty much leaves buying directly from Spyderco as the only way to be sure you've got a real article instead of a knockoff, not even big name retailers are safe. At least, if you're feeling a little paranoid. :eek:

Naturally, I am now wondering if my new Enduras are in fact Spydercos at all, or some Chinese knockoff. I'm not yet sure where my brother purchased them from - I'll find out as soon as I can - but those things don't grow on trees here in Scandinavia. Apparently the counterfeits can be really convincing in terms of appearance, so how can I tell? I have some pictures taken and I'll take some more, but I'm not sure what the procedure on posting images on this forum is. I have not had counterfeit experiences with fixed blades, and this is kind of a rude awakening for me. Perhaps folders are such a bigger market that this kind of thing is perhaps more common... or perhaps I've been really lucky with not encountering new about counterfeit fixed blades of the sort I prefer.

Thanks for your thoughts!
spyderwolf

Re: Are my new Enduras genuine? How do I know?

Post by spyderwolf »

I thougt i was the only one who had this need to have a user and a safe of each blade i realy like :)
The YouTube is full with vids on how to spot a fake.
To add pics click ''full Editor & Preview'',and then go to ''atachments''
This is a safe seller to buy your next Spyderco from,and the shipping charges to Europe are very reasonable:

https://www.outfittercountry.com/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is expensive to copy the FRN handles as molds have to be made. There have been fakes with FRN, if memory serves, but normally they are legitimate, from what I understand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

One older good thread. Hopefully it helps: //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm getting one from Amazon & have some concerns on how to check too.
Chris :spyder:
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

The best way I have found to post hi resolution photos on the forum is to open a photobucket account... upload your photos, and simply copy and paste the IMG URL from photobucket directly into your comment window along with your message. If you are not sure if you did it right hit the preview box to make sure it worked. If you use the forums photo option you will be seriously limited by file size and it may be hard for us to see the details.
Last edited by Mygrainman on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
endgame

Post by endgame »

They dont counterfit the cheaper run if knives only the more expensive popular ones.I never saw a counterfit frn endura youres are real trust me
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

endgame wrote:They dont counterfit the cheaper run if knives only the more expensive popular ones.I never saw a counterfit frn endura youres are real trust me
I'm sorry but wrongwrongwrong. There are counterfeit Tenaci out there. There are ABSOLUTELY counterfeit Enduras out there, often marked as ZDP-189 in colors that were never offered in ZDP. Also, waved versions in colors that were never waved (see photo).

I've handled a fake one, and the "resolution" on the FRN was worse (lines were less crisp). Also, the handle felt more "plasticky" and softer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There was a time about 7 years ago I had a streak of luck that just seemed too good to be true. I snagged not one, but two Spyderco Titanium Peter Herbst models. For those of you newbies and non-Spyderhead people the Titanium version of the Spyderco Peter Herbst model is one of the top notch, Holy Grail models that collectors literally drool over. With that being said I was suspicious :confused: and confused. They looked good but I wanted to know for sure before I traded or sold either one of them to my good knife trading pals>>got a decent reputation and want to keep it that way.

So what I did was to send both knives back to Spyderco to have one of the staff to authenticate them. I got the knives back in about 9 days and they said that they both were the "Real McCoy", genuine Spyders. I was so relieved to hear that and it gave me peace of mind and I ended up selling one of them and trading the other. One was a plain edge and the other was a combo edge.

So if you're really worried or suspicious and have any doubts then my advice is to send them to Spyderco and make sure. When I did get them authenticated it was the best money for shipping I ever spent.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Ok I stand corrected.sorry my bad
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

JD,

It's hard to do that every time for us who live half a world from Sal & co. :o
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well let me ask you this. Say I chose a well-known online knife retailer (I won't mention the name). If I order, say, an Endura from them, and I ask them if they know and guarantee for sure that it was definitely made by and sold to them by Spyderco, and was NOT a returned item from someone else, would that at least be one for-sure way to check and make sure it is a genuine Spyderco? Ie, they specifically sell me a brand-new one sent to them from Spyderco.
SWGannicus

Post by SWGannicus »

Returning to the topic after lots of working life annoyances...

I uploaded some pictures that might help telling if they're genuine or not, and I also have been looking at a bunch of Youtube videos. But it's not easy to tell, it seems, some of the counterfeits are not so obvious to my eye at all, and there's also that it seems to me there's some variation on the real Spydercos that make it harder to tell the counterfeits, like what the markings on the blade look like. Anyway, here's a link to some pics:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r48 ... nlcaag.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing I noticed in the Youtube videos is that at least some of the fakes had a slightly different look to the Spyderco Endura 4 logo on the FRN scales. On the genuine ones it seemed that the texturing continues right into the very edge of the Endura logo, but on the fakes there seems to be free textureless space around the logo. Still can't really tell about my own, but they do look and feel nice and come really sharp.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Those sure look good to me, I'm nit an endure expert but i have owned a few. I think you're good to go.
palonej

Post by palonej »

They look good to me!
Enjoy them......well, enjoy the one you use!! It'll cut like a demon, sharpen easily and last forever!
Joe
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I've owned a few and yours look just fine to me.
endgame

Post by endgame »

They are just fine real deal.the paperwork is also easy to tell.spyderco use a thick paper and the fakes the paper is thin and flimzy.those look exactly like mine.I got mine from the spyderco webstore so youre are real usem and abusem.did youre brother tell you were he got them.if it was aliexpress or alibaba then those are the best fakes I have ever seen
SWGannicus

Post by SWGannicus »

I found out (at last :D ) where my brother bought them, it's a Finnish webstore Lamnia ( https://www.lamnia.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I've had some time to use (one of) them, and I gotta say I like it. Very light to carry. If this keeps up, I'm gonna have to start getting more into folding knives.

Only weirdness I've noticed is that marking on the blade, "Spyderco VG-10" and so on, like in this pic http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r48 ... xamsci.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In some pictures and videos I see online, those markings look different, with a font that looks somehow bolder and "deeper" if that makes sense. Maybe it's some sort of a stamping vs laser engraving difference, and I'm not so sure what different methods Spyderco uses and what the counterfeiters do.

This is good though in that I've learned a lot while looking into this. I had no idea there was such a huge counterfeit knife business in existence. Can't keep the criminals from messing with anything that's good, I guess. I'm probably gonna get my next Spyderco (I'm pretty sure there's gonna be one, maybe in a greener handle color) from Spyderco's webstore directly though, and save me from a little uncertainty.
endgame

Post by endgame »

No worries the site sells authentic hinderers the spydercos will be legit.sometimes the printing is light on some youres are definitely authentic
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I am sure they are 100% genuine.Enjoy,its a wonderful knife.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.