VERY URGENT NEW YORK ACTION ALERT – CALL RIGHT NOW! Time is Running Out!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
critter

VERY URGENT NEW YORK ACTION ALERT – CALL RIGHT NOW! Time is Running Out!

Post by critter »

VERY URGENT NEW YORK ACTION ALERT – CALL RIGHT NOW! TIME IS RUNNING OUT! With Knife Rights lobbyist Todd Rathner on the ground in Albany, we are still trying to sort out exactly where A.4821/S.3675 stands, This is the bill to "fix" New York’s Gravity Knife l by adding "criminal intent" in order to stop thousands of New York City arrests on bogus Gravity Knife charges.

We were assured the bill had been "released"” by Senator Nozzolio from the Codes Committee, but now we are hearing that it’s still in the committee. We are currently trying to find out the truth, but that is almost irrelevant given just hours remain in the session that starts again this afternoon. WE NEED YOU TO CALL RIGHT NOW!

If you live, work or travel to New York please CALL Senator Nozzolio’s office RIGHT NOW and politely request that he "please stop playing politics with A.4821/S.3675 and send it to the Rules Committee so it can move to the floor for a vote. Pushing knife owners off for the second year in a row is not acceptable!"

Senator Nozzolio: 518-455-2366

Or email: nozzolio@nysenate.gov
brick

Re: VERY URGENT NEW YORK ACTION ALERT – CALL RIGHT NOW! Time is Running Out!

Post by brick »

Has the effort been declared dead? The Senate is in session tomorrow afternoon but everything related to it has been pulled from the KnifeRights website.
-Tim
critter

Post by critter »

brick wrote:Has the effort been declared dead? The Senate is in session tomorrow afternoon but everything related to it has been pulled from the KnifeRights website.
They made it clear they got the message. Now we are waiting to see what happens. Depending upon who you talk to the session could adjourn tomorrow or Thursday or???? How it will go for our bill is still up in the air.
brick

Post by brick »

I appreciate the update (not to mention the time and energy already spent). I had already sent an email, anyway, so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed until further notice.
-Tim
brick

Post by brick »

The bill didn't come up on the docket for today (unless I missed it somehow) but it looks like the Senate just extended their session into tomorrow. Granted, when I checked in to their live stream they were busy congratulating each other at length about something that I couldn't find on the agenda, so who knows. I can't find any evidence anywhere that the bill has advanced beyond committee.
-Tim
critter

Post by critter »

With the adjournment of the New York Legislature, Knife Rights and knife owners can chalk up two wins and one disappointing loss. Both the proposed Machete Ban and the Draconian Ivory Possession and Transportation Ban were defeated. The "fix" to the gravity knife statute that would end bogus New York City knife arrests did not pass for the second year in a row when Senate Republicans refused to vote on the bill already passed overwhelmingly by the Democratic controlled Assembly (for the second year in a row).

(Click on Links above for full details on each bill.)

However, the wins and loss come with an asterisk. All three bills will remain active through next year's session, beginning where they left off this year. So, we'll have to be back in Albany next year to again lobby against against both bills we defeated this year and to support the "fix" to the state's gravity knife law that didn't get over the finish line this year.

Senate leadership has assured Knife Rights that they will consider a knife law reform bill next year. Knife Rights encourages all New York knife law reform supporters and Second Amendment supporters to hold the Senators' feet to the fire over the next six months. At every opportunity, every meeting, every town hall, keep up the pressure by insisting they support knife law reform next year.

Be the first to know. Get the latest Knife Rights updates:

And, sign up for our FREE News Slice™ Newsletter for more news you need to know.

Knife Rights is making a difference!
Invest a modest sum in a Sharper Future™ to protect your tools and rights.

JOIN KNIFE RIGHTS TODAY!