NYTimes knife article.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wanimator

NYTimes knife article.

Post by Wanimator »

The article is about the pocket knife making a comeback among today's men especially with hipsters. The Spyderco Chaparral is mentioned (With some terminology that makes me cringe) the Sebenza 21 is also mentioned. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/fashi ... shion&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PayneTrain

Re: NYTimes knife article.

Post by PayneTrain »

Not sure what "stealth titanium look" is supposed to mean, but I'm assuming it isn't anything "tactical". Maybe more like "subdued". Obviously not the new stepped blue Chap.

Nice article though! Hopefully the more that pocket knives become accepted, the less obnoxious laws we'll have to fear, and I think articles like this are steps in the right direction. I long for the day I can carry an auto (or even a bali) outside the house.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

PayneTrain wrote:Not sure what "stealth titanium look" is supposed to mean, but I'm assuming it isn't anything "tactical". Maybe more like "subdued". Obviously not the new stepped blue Chap.

Nice article though! Hopefully the more that pocket knives become accepted, the less obnoxious laws we'll have to fear, and I think articles like this are steps in the right direction. I long for the day I can carry an auto (or even a bali) outside the house.
He is probably referring to the second chap

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-C ... ing--11504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as you can see here it is referred to as "stealth" and I am pretty sure I have seen it elsewhere listed the same way.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

PayneTrain wrote:Not sure what "stealth titanium look" is supposed to mean, but I'm assuming it isn't anything "tactical". Maybe more like "subdued". Obviously not the new stepped blue Chap.
They're likely referring to the Chap 2, which is nicknamed the "stealth Chaparral" due to the pattern geometry resembling a F117 stealth fighter.

Edit: adancingmonkey beat me to clicking the "Submit" button. :)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

We need more of that in the world. Nice read. Hopefully, a lot of people read it and it does some good.
- best wishes, Jazz.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Everything comes full circle eventually.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ah, thank you gentlemen. I did not know it carried that nickname, but I have seen that comparison before. Actually it was only last week in gbelleh's thread. I guess I'm late to the party. Again. :o
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Great article. Thanks for posting. I feel completely undressed and like I am missing something important if I do not have a knife in my pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

Well, this is an article in the Men's Style section. It probably wouldn't have been included in the NY Times if they hadn't compared it to fashion.

I'm pretty sure that it hasn't gone anywhere, but people are starting to pay attention to it.

Payne, I'm pretty sure the co-founder of everydaycarry dot com said it correctly and the person writing the article heard it wrong.

I love the picture at the top, a guy... at home... batoning wood on his front porch.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I just knew we were ahead of the times! Er, er, er... :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Awesome that the NY Times is saying good things about EDCing pocket knives. Now we need a hundred more articles like that one because the five boroughs of NYC has WAY TOO MUCH knife negativity.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Donut wrote: I love the picture at the top, a guy... at home... batoning wood on his front porch.
Haha right? Hey, whatever gets more people involved. I'm sure at least a couple people out there will think "hey yeah, I should carry a knife so I can chop wood!" If only they showed a CEO stabbing a Mercedes door, an executive chef hacking lamb chops with a K2, and various other unlikely people doing unlikely things with pocket knives. Maybe some retirees building a crude shelter just outside their huge RV with a Rubicon, smiling ever so cheesily at each other. Maybe more people would stop and say "hey, look at all the fun knife people have!"

Then we lure them here...
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

Ironic that the NY TIMES would write about stuff you can't carry in NYC
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

clevelanddean wrote:Ironic that the NY TIMES would write about stuff you can't carry in NYC
New York city is probably the most knife hostile place on the planet. I mean even Denmark and the UK will let you carry knives that NYC will throw you in jail for. Guys - why read the NY Times? I recommend no patronage what so ever. Knife hostile city. Knife hostile newspaper. My opinion at least. Sorry if I am coming across harshly.

That being said - I think it is true that folding knives are making a come back. Great to see any good news these days.
MCM

Post by MCM »

In time it will turn around. When the dimmest of the dimmest bulbs realize that they use a knife everyday.
As well as everyone else in the world. Funny when you think about it really.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......