How did you fall down the Spyder hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pyro

Re: How did you fall down the Spyder hole?

Post by pyro »

My first Spyderco was a military that I got at a real good price on ebay. It was beautiful but, it was a fake. Lesson learned. That compelled me to buy another to know that I had an authentic military. By then I was hooked. I can thank it all on the fake Spyderco.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Mygrainman wrote:
BTG wrote:...so many current models I want, I don't bother looking for classics...if I stumble across one cheap.ok....only old ones I'm REALLY smitten by are the old original Bolstered Persians and the Chinook 1.
I wasn't looking for these older ones either... I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time :D it seems I'm destined to collect the early stuff... maybe start with 1 variation ea. of the 7 knives released in 1990(2 down 5 to go) love to get an original Worker as well.
So many newer models I want too: Milli, Para, Caly, Native 5, Stretch, I want em all but I can't afford to drop $150+ on a blade just yet... If I could afford it, my current holy grail is the Sprint run Red Bone Endura... Sooo beautiful!
Yes, the hole is deep, you can get lost down here...I wish there were more places where you could stumble across those great finds, but when you do, definitely don't let'm slip away...since you like the jiggled bone thought I'd show off my Santa Fe Stoneworks Endura..Blue Coral & Mother of pearl, with Blued titanium Bolsters, Damascus Blade, probably my best looking knife...problem is, to make both sides pretty, it has no pocket clip and it's just to big throw in your pocket, sooo its been carried like 0 times....
image.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mygrainman,

Welcome to our forum.

Many years ago when we began selling our knives to the Military, our salesmanager at the time felt that soldiers would not be interested in a knife called a "Ladybug". So we called in a "Little Big Knife" (LBK) with special packaging.

sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Certainly the hole is huge for me :D Both in opening and falling. :eek: Many of us know the sound of a new car door closing (even if it isn't ours) The sound of the positive lock-up of Spyderco's was a clincher for me. Almost like a bank vault. Speaking of banks, Spyderco has put a large dent in mine. That's ok, I enjoy functional art. Love my Spydies :spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I bought my first car.

An 87 Camaro with a wimpy little 2.8L V6, but that's all a high school kid really needs and a V8 surely would have only gotten me into trouble. I was cleaning it out one day and found a weird looking knife under the driver's seat if memory serves me (my partying days were concentrated heavily between then and now). It was all metal, had a big ol hole in the blade, and a fully serrated edge that had obviously been sharpened a lot. It said "Spyderco" on it, and it was from Japan. It was a cool looking knife, and I couldn't help but wonder why someone would scratch their name in poorly written cursive on the handle. It was the previous owner of the car and for a while I considered returning it, but I was 16 and of course felt like I paid for it anyway. It started me down the knife collecting path, which my friends encouraged with the help of a cool little store nearby run by an old veteran. He didn't sell Spydercos, so that remained my only one for a long time. It was a Delica 2 in Spyderedge.

My younger brother always liked my toys, and one day swiped most of my collection. It took me a while to get them all back (well used/abused)...all except for the Delica. I still don't know what happened to it and may never know (he's estranged himself from the family), but I sure miss it. I've since replaced it with a Delica 4, but it really could never replace my first quality knife found in my first car during such an unforgettable time of my life.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's not a Spyder hole.It's a Spyder vortex.
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

sal wrote:Hi Mygrainman,

Welcome to our forum.

Many years ago when we began selling our knives to the Military, our salesmanager at the time felt that soldiers would not be interested in a knife called a "Ladybug". So we called in a "Little Big Knife" (LBK) with special packaging.

sal
Thanks for taking the time to welcome me!
another reason to love Spyderco when Sal himself comes along to answer questions! my biggest question would be if this packaging was for the military why does it advertise being a good first knife for youngsters on the back?
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Only thing I can think of is to entice the troops to buy em as gifts for their kids... thanks again Sal... Keep up the good work!

-Mygrainman
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

BTG wrote:
Mygrainman wrote:
BTG wrote:...so many current models I want, I don't bother looking for classics...if I stumble across one cheap.ok....only old ones I'm REALLY smitten by are the old original Bolstered Persians and the Chinook 1.
I wasn't looking for these older ones either... I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time :D it seems I'm destined to collect the early stuff... maybe start with 1 variation ea. of the 7 knives released in 1990(2 down 5 to go) love to get an original Worker as well.
So many newer models I want too: Milli, Para, Caly, Native 5, Stretch, I want em all but I can't afford to drop $150+ on a blade just yet... If I could afford it, my current holy grail is the Sprint run Red Bone Endura... Sooo beautiful!
Yes, the hole is deep, you can get lost down here...I wish there were more places where you could stumble across those great finds, but when you do, definitely don't let'm slip away...since you like the jiggled bone thought I'd show off my Santa Fe Stoneworks Endura..Blue Coral & Mother of pearl, with Blued titanium Bolsters, Damascus Blade, probably my best looking knife...problem is, to make both sides pretty, it has no pocket clip and it's just to big throw in your pocket, sooo its been carried like 0 times....
image.jpg
Beautiful blade... I do like the SFS designs! You see a lot of knife designs going away from bolsters because they don't fit the "Tactical" rut that most seem to be stuck in. I love em... I like the tactical designs as much as the next guy but a few extra grams of weight to add a little class is weight worth carrying IMO. I like the direction Spyderco went with the Schempp Bowie. For me the ultimate would be a run of Centefante 3's with an anodized Ti bolster... still be lightweight and wow would it look good.
Last edited by Mygrainman on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

hello everyone, im new here and this is my first post :D sorry if my grammar is a little off, english isnt my primary language.
i started with a delica 4 vg-10 too and that was just a year ago. i was more of a SAK guy before but lately i was finding my swisschamp too bulky to EDC. since i only use the small and big knife in it 95% of the time i pull it out so i went scouting for a dedicated knife. i found spydies first in my local online store which at first strike me as weird-looking with the leaf-shaped blade and all but ive read in reviews that these knives are designed function and practicality first before aesthetics so it got the better of me. i didnt want to have a knife which looks similar to the once everybody has where im from anyways so i gave it a try. after hearing the first 'click' of the back lock, this thing has got me sold.
i bought my second one (the resilience) a couple of months after since the delica blade wasn't big enough to handle food prep chores whenever we go out on camping and picnics. from this time i was reading and learning a lot about the different steels spyderco is using and i wanted to try out their budget line's 8cr13mov.. and it never failed to deliver afaik.
been seeing small rust spots on my delica blade lately especially whenever i take it on my regular runs and i sweat on it but its nothing a few swipes of steel wool and a few drops of wd40 cannot fix . i have this bad habit of not rinsing my pocketed stuff whenever i get home so lo and behold... now a black pacific salt is on the way. geez.. i wish you guys could share some of your effective reasons in justifying the need to buy more than 2 pocket knives to your wife. i think im going to need a lot of it in days to come :(
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey 69.. Welcome!! And it is easier to ask for forgivness than permission!! :D John :cool:
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
BTG

Post by BTG »

Npad69.... One that works for me is, how many pairs or shoes and handbags do you have...granted she may not have over a hundred but still they cost more....well maybe not...still, they hold their value better....(just don't tell her you never plan on selling any)....I get a lot of, hey naku's from the wife & in-laws....I don't understand much Tagalog but I've figured out they think I'm nuts.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I bought a Delica when I was around 13 at a gunshow and it was down hill from there. Granted, I only currently own my Military. Thankfully, my wife likes "Tiffany" jewelry and "Coach" bags, so I don't have to "justify" a gun or knife purchase.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Mygrainman wrote:
Enkidude wrote:I tripped over a Delica....
I love that you stuck with the "Punny" nature of the post title for your response. :D

The Delica seems to be the "gateway" knife to many Spydie addictions.. I've been browsing the "show your Delica's" pic forum and there is a guy that was spending $800+ monthly on a Delica addiction. :eek:
I love my Delica, but I'm to afraid of breaking the clip to ever carry it.
Glad you caught that. ;)

It's probably the most well rounded knife IMO. Relatively low cost, superb materials, excellent ergos, plenty of variety, legal in a lot of places, and it looks cool too. :D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Delica first and I liked it. Got a Military and all of my folders have had holes since.. I still think the Military is the best larger folder made, but I've cut down a bit and only own 4 Militarys at the moment :o
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pyro, Npad69,

Welcome to our forum.

On the kid think, it was a long time ago, and I didn't make up the packaging, but I would guess it was to keep kids under 7 from having the knife.

sal
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

sal wrote:Hi Pyro, Npad69,

Welcome to our forum.

On the kid think, it was a long time ago, and I didn't make up the packaging, but I would guess it was to keep kids under 7 from having the knife.

sal
Makes sense... but with the edge you get with a Spidie out of box(or plastic package in this case) I know plenty of "kids" 20 and over that would be at risk of loosing a digit without supervision. 7 is a good age to get kids learning about safely using "dangerous things"(about when I started with mine) supervised at first, but at some point you gotta trust them to be careful(or learn their lessons the hard way).
A disturbing trend in our world today is the whimpification(I have better words but I'll keep it clean ;) ) of the next generation as TV, video games and questionable or absent parenting keep them out of the woods and on the couch. Instead of working for something they feel they are entitled to it. The knowledge shared from father(or mother) to son(or daughter) is a dying tradition. :( We see the consequences every day on the news... it's literally an epidemic! If the lights went out tomorrow how many would be able to survive when they push a button and nothing happens?
Sorry about the tangent but it's something I'm very passionate about.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

thanks for the welcome guys and especially to sal.. not a lot of company owners doing a 'hands-on' not only in production but also customer feedback which is what i came to very much like about spyderco. i've read countless of your posts from other forums and what a very humble and classy guy.

@jmh58: yes my wife can be forgiving.. but she is not that lenient towards repeat offenders, she'll flay me alive with my spydies :eek:

@btg: i can definitely relate to those 'hay naku's. she regularly buys shoes and bags but not the branded ones which she uses as rebuttal whenever we debate about our purchases. she insists that i just buy the cheap knock-offs instead since its only a piece of sharp metal attached to a plastic handle. the discussion could go on and on but eventually i''ll have to yield once she pulls out 'outside the kulambo' card *sigh*
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

My son started collecting them. He got a Manix 2 LW and that's when I decided I wanted one. Now I have 8.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Had a lot of knives over the years. Was enamored with ZTs for a while and actually had one, but it's usefulness began to seem questionable, so I sold it. Kept wondering about the knives with holes in the blades so I started doing research. Then wanted to see for myself what all of the enthusiasm was about so I bought a Delica 4. After a couple of months I somehow got a Dragonfly 2 in black. Lost it. Kicking myself, I saved up and later got one in orange. You guessed it, lost that one too. In retaliation, I bought an Ambitious, then a Tenacious. Probably buy a couple more Spydercos this year. I have my reasons and the voices inside my head get all happy when I think about :spyder:s.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Do they still make Unsolved Mysteries? I can see Dennis Farina retelling this story,
Probably not any time soon. He is no longer with us.

My Endura in "G2" in 1992 is what got me hooked on Spyderco knives. I've had numerous Enduras since but the first and all the rest remain serviceable despite going swimming in the ocean, trips through the washer and dryer, and about everything one can use their folder for. Even when I carry other knives I usually have an Endura with me. Currently it's FRN/Super Blue.

I had close to 150 Spyderco's at one time before I began getting rid of a bunch of them.

I still have too many as some would see it.

Joe