How about a salt mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
bearfacedkiller

Re: How about a salt mule?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I prefer the hourglass clip when carrying iwb in gym shorts or board shorts myself. Seems to move around less for me. Maybe it has more to do with the model than the clip but it seems that way to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think a wire clip would be really great but I may not be in the majority about that. I think Gringo Salt has a nice catchy ring to it but I 'spect Sal would have to run it by the marketing advisers, whoever that might be :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

gonna need any made from LC200N. H1 serrated is awesome but as time goes I *cough* need a plain edge much more
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I prefer the hourglass clip when carrying iwb in gym shorts or board shorts myself. Seems to move around less for me. Maybe it has more to do with the model than the clip but it seems that way to me.
Yeah, something like the hourglass is probably a bit more strong and secure. I would also rather have a bit of knife sticking out than a deep carry clip as accessibility far trumps "discreet carry" on workhorse knives like the salts. Having said all that I'll say again that type of clip is pretty far down on my list and I will almost certainly be happy with whatever is offered.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I concede that it's hard to be discreet on small boats and that a very secure clip is necessary in that situation... and if it's a very grippy clip there's all the more need for something sticking out to grab onto.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I've never ever had any problems with any of the wire clips not holding securely enough for IWB carry but I don't even bother carrying the hourglass clip version IWB since the handle tips then stick up enough that the butt of the knife can sometimes dig into my stomach when bending over since it protrudes up above the waistline.

I also don't like the extra shininess of the hour glass clips in that configuration........unless you have your shirt untucked, the shiny clip can be very noticeable. It's too bad that Spyderco doesn't make a bead blasted narrow hourglass clip that loops up to the butt of the knife the way that all the best deep carry clips do.

I also prefer deep carry clips (especially for IWB) because then the scales and butt of the knife are buried deeper and less likely to rub up and scratch something when trying to pass through a tight quarters area.

Of course everybody has an opinion of clips and there are those who love the current hourglass as well as the wire clip. But one nice thing about a G10 Salt is that there is no need to worry about corrosion when anchoring the knife in a port located in the southern salty seas of IWB carry. :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
bearfacedkiller

I carry iwb at 3 o'clock so it doesn't rub my stomach. I find that if I have a deeper carry clip that the waist band is too high and the knife moves around too much. With a standard clip the waist band of the shorts is closer to the center of the knife making it move around less. This will all depend on what you are wearing, what you are doing and where on your waist you are carrying it. I jog 20 or 30 miles a week with a knife iwb at 3 o'clock so that is what I based my comments on. I originally made the iwb board shorts reference because I assumed that is what lance wears when fishing. However, I also realize that the majority of people who buy a large salt folder might not be using that carry method. This is gonna sound strange but I usually jog with my super blue Delica, s30v para2 or Cruwear Military so obviously corrosion resistance is not that high on my priority list. Sorry for the tangent. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Hmmmn, I think that with loose fitting board shorts or swim shorts that you could very well be right in the hourglass shape being superior because of where the knife is pinned with respect to the center of mass of the knife.

It would probably prevent it from swinging around so much while wearing something so loose fitting......especially if jogging. It sounds like you've done the IWB carry under situations that I haven't as I probably wouldn't bother carrying a knife while jogging.....except maybe a keychain Ladybug. I think that the potential swinging issue is less of an issue in tighter fitting jeans and cargo pants where I prefer the carry to be a little deeper.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
bearfacedkiller

I have a variety of clips and actually do not have a preference overall. I just grab one that works for what I am wearing and what I am doing. Sometimes the Delica and hourglass works better and sometimes the Caly3 and wire clip works better. I am really not to picky overall but I do try to match it to my attire and my activity. People do seem to be very passionate about not only clip shape but also clip location. I favor tip up hourglass clips but will carry any clip in any position if I like the knife. :D As long as it holds the knife in place I'm happy.
-Darby
762cal

Post by 762cal »

Odd I am thinking about points Sal made in this thread all day!! I cannot stop grinning about the possibility of LC200N on Mule project, and man there's even a folder in the making!

as far as clip discussion goes, I like both hour glass and wire clip, the ones I dislike are most of collabs clip (Southard, Nillaka, PPT for instance)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

One other point about clips. For a workhorse knife, comfort in hand can be more important than with a light use knife. Overall I find wire clips to be more comfortable, but the hourglass clip is not too noticeable in your palm when its placement is a good fit for your hand and the way you grip. After trying a great looking custom deep carry solid metal clip I soon rejected it because it dug into my palm. This made me realize that a lot of planning and testing has gone into the design of the hourglass clip and the way it's placed on different knives.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am fine with either clip style but prefer wire.

As for the mule. Yes please and may I have another.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Was just going to say a stainless mule seems like a great idea but then was waylaid with a G-10 Salt.

Kinda wish I had more need for a stainless type knife.
I may have to put something besides a set of wood scales on this bad boy. Maybe I'll work on texturizing some canvas micarta... This might be a good time to break out my blocks of antiqued "end grain" canvas micarta - the canvas material runs 90 degrees across the short side of the slab (as opposed to the normal cut where the fabric lies along the length of the scale, giving it that "topographic" look when shaped). These blocks were cut from a gigantic slab of industrial micarta that was almost 8" thick. The benefit (besides looking cool) is that the weave of the canvas in this orientation provides a huge amount of grip if finished the right way.

Can't wait, Sal!
TedP
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

[quote="phillipsted"

I may have to put something besides a set of wood scales on this bad boy. Maybe I'll work on texturizing some canvas micarta... This might be a good time to break out my blocks of antiqued "end grain" canvas micarta - the canvas material runs 90 degrees across the short side of the slab (as opposed to the normal cut where the fabric lies along the length of the scale, giving it that "topographic" look when shaped). These blocks were cut from a gigantic slab of industrial micarta that was almost 8" thick. The benefit (besides looking cool) is that the weave of the canvas in this orientation provides a huge amount of grip if finished the right way.

Can't wait, Sal!
TedP[/quote]
This sounds very interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing the results. Does canvas micarta hold up as well as G-10 in wet or even salt water wet use?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

phillipsted wrote:

Can't wait, Sal!
TedP
This sounds very interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing the results. Does canvas micarta hold up as well as G-10 in wet or even salt water wet use?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It should. It usually provides better grip when wet because of the resins used to make it. Of course several resins are used in micarta manufacturing. It does have a tendency to swell or shrink but it's usually minimal. I personally want to rehandle my rock salt in micarta one day.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Doug, I have canvas micarta on one my Phil Wilson fish knives. It has held up just fine to saltwater, blood and lots of use.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Doug, I have canvas micarta on one my Phil Wilson fish knives. It has held up just fine to saltwater, blood and lots of use.
That's good to know. The only micarta I have is some Halpern mule scales and I haven't used them very much. The contoured ones are pretty rough and look like they might be hard to clean. Since you use yours on fish I guess I can assume it cleans up pretty well and doesn't absorb a lot of blood or fish material. I like micarta and wish it was used more.