Japanese Factory Disappointment.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thelock

Re: Japanese Factory Dissapointment.

Post by thelock »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:This thread really has me freaking out a bit. My wife just dropped $140 on a Double Bevel for me as part of our 20th wedding anniversary. She has it at home while I am in Virginia. She will be bringing the knife to me next month.

I hope its not sitting in the box all gritty, waiting for me to be disappointed in it. Holy Crap!!!
No way man, you will be happy with it. We are just comparing factories and if there is something wrong with it they will replace it. When I talk about less quality, I mean the edges of the liners or scales being sharper, the grind higher here or there stuff like that, stuff that most of the time if you don't look really closely you will not notice, nothing to really bother me too much, I just think the knives from Golden are a step above, in my experience! I enjoy all my Seki made knives, I just think they could do better and should do better!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:This thread really has me freaking out a bit.
Be cool, these incidents are few and far between. I still am interested to know if it was purchased on Amazon.
PWork

Post by PWork »

I've had no issues with Seki made knives.
Paul
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:This thread really has me freaking out a bit. My wife just dropped $140 on a Double Bevel for me as part of our 20th wedding anniversary. She has it at home while I am in Virginia. She will be bringing the knife to me next month.

I hope its not sitting in the box all gritty, waiting for me to be disappointed in it. Holy Crap!!!
Of all the problems to worry excessive grit shouldn't even be on the radar. It can be fixed with a little water and some grease/oil.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Can't say that I can recall any gritty Japanese knives. Most of the issues I see with Seki knives are in minor areas of finish. The kick for example, always seems to be roughly finished on models like the Delica and Endura.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
paladin

Post by paladin »

Warm soapy water, followed by a warm rinse, then dry with compressed air...a drop of lube and you'll be good to go...grit is no biggie, no worries brother!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I have noticed a few of these threads pop up recently with similar topics...

Many of my most used and favorite blades are Japanese produced, both from decades ago, and brand new like my Double Bevel...

I have had a couple gritty knives, and some sticky locks, but a little washing and some triflow and it's smoother than I could ever need.

Trying to think through my knives and recall one of the Japanese produced ones that had issues. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but I've been solid. One of my Moki produced Caly 3's does have slightly uneven jimping at the bottom of spine, but nothing major...
...luckily no backlocks that sit deep or proud... that would definitely frustrate me.
Some people complain of sharp edges, but I actually like crisp feel. Maybe because I work with my hands nearly daily so I don't have soft skin, but it feels good to me. Never cut myself on a liner edge or spyderhole either, like I occasionally read about.

My most recent knife with a notable flaw was actually a Taichung produced Gayle Bradley that had uneven grinds, with the presentation side being higher than other side... but little did I care since it already is used hard, has a patina, and functions great regardless. I actually didn't even notice it myself until someone started a thread about some GB's having that characteristic on BF and I looked closer at mine...
Now maybe if by chance I'm camping somewhere with other people with a GB, and they get set down together, I will be able to recognize my own as mine!

My only real "disappointing" Spyderco is a Salsa, sorry to say. It's just plain blown out and has massive up and down play no matter what I do. Never did feel great, IMO, compared to all of my other Compression locks, including both Japan produced Comp-locks, and of course Golden.
Going back to Caly.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

tvenuto wrote:
Tdhurl1103 wrote:This thread really has me freaking out a bit.
Be cool, these incidents are few and far between. I still am interested to know if it was purchased on Amazon.
Naa, she got it from Knifeworks. I sent her the link and she placed the order.

Never let a non-knife knut shop for you......just a rule I live by.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

tvenuto wrote:Were any of these bought from Amazon? I ask because I've noticed that these sorts of QC issues are more common from Amazon buys. My theory is that certain amazon dealers will just restock a knife that was returned for QC issues. Eventually someone will keep it, right?

That said, it sucks to loose the QC lottery, and I'd probably fuss if 2 of my first 8 spydies were in this condition. 3 of my first 4 spydies are Seki made and they all came in great working condition. I have since bought more, and I have no qualms buying future ones. Mac I right, though, Taichung (and in my opinion Golden as well) can certainly spoil you with their phenomenal quality.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, I was busy today. Knifeworks is the place I got them. My Delica 4 came from Amazon, go figure. I was told early on Bladeforums that ebay wasn't a place to get your Spydies, too many fakes. Amazon wasn't prefered but if you bought directly from them you might be ok. I only buy from Bladeforums sponsors and Cutleryshoppe.com, which was recommended by people here. I'm not angry as I have plenty of great Spydies with nothing wrong. I'm just disappointed and thought someone in the company should know.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

mastiff wrote:Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, I was busy today. Knifeworks is the place I got them. My Delica 4 came from Amazon, go figure. I was told early on Bladeforums that ebay wasn't a place to get your Spydies, too many fakes. Amazon wasn't prefered but if you bought directly from them you might be ok. I only buy from Bladeforums sponsors and Cutleryshoppe.com, which was recommended by people here. I'm not angry as I have plenty of great Spydies with nothing wrong. I'm just disappointed and thought someone in the company should know.
No worries, it was mostly curiosity on my part to see if this was part of a trend. My first Spyderco was a Delica 4 and I bought it from Amazon and everything worked out fine. Ever since I've chosen to buy from the fine dealers like KW and CS and others. No matter where you got these from, you are correct to be disappointed, and Spyderco certainly should know that these got through QC. It's probably also useful for them to know where you got it. I'm glad you've taken it in stride though, and thanks for presenting these issues in a detailed and reasonable manner.