Thread: Cat Carbon Fiber

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Cat Carbon Fiber

I am a fan on the carbon fiber knives. I really like the size of the Cat, and just found that the cat was originally made with CF scales. Now how to find one! Already tried ebay and the forums.

They show up fairly often on Ebay, the key is to keep checking on a regular basis.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    ar33c9 - Welcome to the forum!

Both the Cat and Chicago CF models were taken out of production relatively quickly due to some issues with manufacturing. I've seen a few specimens for sale out there that must be seconds - the blades were off center or the CF was chipped. This doesn't normally affect the function of the knife, but since you are buying on the secondary market, you might want to see detailed pictures before agreeing to a price.

Caveat emptor!

TedP

Thank you! Very happy to be here and thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    ar33c9 - Welcome to the forum!

Both the Cat and Chicago CF models were taken out of production relatively quickly due to some issues with manufacturing. I've seen a few specimens for sale out there that must be seconds - the blades were off center or the CF was chipped. This doesn't normally affect the function of the knife, but since you are buying on the secondary market, you might want to see detailed pictures before agreeing to a price.

Caveat emptor!

TedP

I second Phillipsted's comments. There were some CF Cats without problems, but you just have to look for them and ask questions of the seller. I was able to find one and it's been my EDC for more than a year. For my purposes, everything about the original Cat's design and features is perfection. The only way it could be any better is if it had Sage 1-style textured CF on the handle scales. But I'm nit-picking...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Purely speculative I would think there are a number of non-seconds. I recall for a while there being a sale on them for about $30 (or something ). Not to mention a number of people who jumped eagerly at the combination of CF and S30v right out of the gate.

If it's a factory second there will be a small nick somewhere near the hole. You can probably find a few of these pictures for reference. Any knife currently in circulation, second or not, should be a high functioning piece with mild to decent aesthetic inconsistencies. Seconds won't have a warranty and were sold much cheaper but again should be perfectly fine tools.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I picked up 2 NIB carbon fiber Cat's on ebay a month ago cheap. There weren't 2nd's and were perfect other than a tiny scratch near the spine of one of the blades so that one is a user now and the other a safe queen. I got lucky as I had not seen any CF first run Cats for less than perhaps twice the original street price since they were discontinued. I'm not big on liner locks, but it's a nice little knife and I like it much more than I thought I would. The Cat seems very much like a smaller Sage 1 and like the Dragonfly the Cat makes the most out of it's small size.
    Recent Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
    In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    If it's a factory second there will be a small nick somewhere near the hole. You can probably find a few of these pictures for reference.
    If not, Blake, they can check out this page I put together a couple years back.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    If not, Blake, they can check out this page I put together a couple years back.
    Hey thanks Paul I remember reading your page at one point on the topic. Great reference!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Nice reference page, The Deacon. I always wondered in the case of the Dyad seconds if they put the notch on both blades or just one and now I know although one certainly can't rule out a blade swap (or two) given the seller.
    Recent Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
    In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V

So far two have come up on ebay since I posted this thread, made offers on both as that was an option but no cat yet. The hunt continues...