Thread: Massachusetts knife laws

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Massachusetts knife laws

I live in Pa where we do not have blade length restrictions. The wife and I are going to Massachusetts for our anniversary in a week (10 years, jeez time flies). I looked online for knife laws and the only I found referred to Boston. In Boston there is a 2.5'' limit on blade length. I appears to me I should be able to carry my Endura anywhere else in the state. Am I correct? I have to leave my CCW at home considering Ma does not Honor Pa or Ut weapons permits, so I would at least like to carry my knife.

Thanks for the input,

Spyderco Forum Registered User Joe Internet's Avatar
    Here is a link to the relevant MA knife laws: http://knife-expert.com/ma.txt.

You should be okay with your Endura. It's not illegal, but like any state, local law enforcement may react differently to the knife, depending on location. Generally speaking, the more rural you are, the less likely you'll have issues, and the further you are from Boston/Cape Cod, the less likely you'll have issues. I live in the western most county of the state, and EDC an Endura, and know that others carry knives that size. Sometimes I see fixed blades openly carried on a belt.

Just curious, where will you be visiting? If you guys are coffee drinkers, be sure to stop at a McDonald's, since they now serve premium Newman's Own coffee in New England. No Wawa though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Only version of the Endura I'd consider questionable in MA would be the waved one. There's a restriction there on devices that allow a knife to be drawn to the open position and the wave "might" be considered such a device.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Joe Internet's Avatar
    Thanks Deacon, I forgot about that point. I wouldn't suggest any zip-tie mods, either.

Thank you both for your reply. I have to get a non-resident NH weapons permit and not worry about the lack of a CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Internet View Post
    Here is a link to the relevant MA knife laws: http://knife-expert.com/ma.txt.

You should be okay with your Endura. It's not illegal, but like any state, local law enforcement may react differently to the knife, depending on location. Generally speaking, the more rural you are, the less likely you'll have issues, and the further you are from Boston/Cape Cod, the less likely you'll have issues. I live in the western most county of the state, and EDC an Endura, and know that others carry knives that size. Sometimes I see fixed blades openly carried on a belt.

Just curious, where will you be visiting? If you guys are coffee drinkers, be sure to stop at a McDonald's, since they now serve premium Newman's Own coffee in New England. No Wawa though.
    My endura is my EDC for a knife (Glock 23 for firearm), and the wife has a Byrd.

I am going to the Salem area for their Halloween events (wife always wanted to). We are staying right outside Salem in Revere, Ma.

Looks like you can have a car full of knives if you intend to sell them:
    "16-45.2 Distribution Exception.
    This section shall not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or from such entities or establishments."
    Suppose you could be a duly deputized Craigslist knife seller.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jujigatame's Avatar
    Some other cities have a limit on blade length, similar to Boston. I don't know if Revere and Salem are among them but you'll be close enough to Boston that it's worth checking into. As Joe said, the further you are from a large city the less of an issue it is and vice versa.
    ~ Nate