Thread: Knife lubrication

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Knife lubrication

I just replied to a thread concerning cleaning folding knives. Starting a thread on lubrication came to my mind so here goes. This may have already been addressed, I don't know.

Any experience with different oils or lubrications anyone has used would be helpful. Here is mine:

Used WD-40 and 3-in-one lubes all my life because that is what Dad used. I have never been disappointed with either. After becoming an adult I found out about oils with teflon. Teflon oils have saved my butt a few times when trying to break things apart when other oils failed.

Now there are products that claim additional things. I'm going to name three that I have tried. I've been using them for less than three years so I can't say anything about them as far as long term use but they do have their list of happy customers with opinions on their web sites. They can be purchased on other sites at a lower price than they advertise just like Spyderco knives and most other products.

1. Tuf-Glide and Tuf-cloth by Sentry Solutions (www.sentrysolutions.com). They also have other products designed for guns and other machinery. They claim their oil (which is not really oil) after applied as a liquid dries fast and leaves a protective bond on the steel that can't be wiped off. I've been using this stuff for about 2 years and have been happy with it. They also have stuff for guns and other things.

2. Quick Release. Pretty close to the Tuf-Glide in the advertising. Check them out at www.quickreleaseoil.com. Only used this for a couple of months. I tried it because they have testimonials like how someone had a knife that just would not open right and he had tried everything. He used Quick Release and the knife is now perfect. Obviously I took his word for it.

3. Wax based lubricants. I've tried Finish Line and like it. www.finishlineusa.com. They seem to taylor mainly to bicycles. I don't think any of my knives will go through the torture of a bicyle that avid bicyclists put their bikes through but why not use it if it keeps dirt out of a pivot better than something else. They have a selection of products that really seems to cater to environments that are extreme. Just because you don't use your knife to dig in the dirt doesn't mean you won't drop in the mud by accident.

Luck in lubes,
    Jack

PS
    Why do I login to this forum then have to login again after replying to a post? Just curious.
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 08-01-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Try doing a forum search on lubes. This is discussed somewhat regularly and I'm sure there are several existing threads.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got:Lum Nishijin

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Thanks Araneae. I'll do that. I'd like to see what others say.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Tri Flow is a great lubricant. Most Walmarts will have some by the bike section. I switched to using food grade mineral oil because i use my knife for food prep.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I have used Rem oil,wd-40 and Breakfree CLP with no problems since the 1980s.A lot of the knives I owned when I was younger were carbon steel (easily rusts)Schrade and Case knives.In the past I have dropped a knife in sand and the oil absorbed gritty sand and had to be cleaned out so thinner would be better or something that left a dry film would be A+

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I don't know what the general opinion is of graphite powder, but i've used it on my Native and it works fantastic, and being dry you don't have to worry about picking up dirt.

Of course it's a 180 trade off though, since getting it wet/rinsing it off can wash out the lube. Plus of course it's not food safe either so take it for what you will.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I stopped using lubricant on my knives too.

Before I stopped I was using Dupont Teflon Multi-Use. It's one of the wax based lubricants that jackknifeh mentioned.

It actually worked very well. Once applied, the petrolium carrier evaporates leaving behind a dry wax.

I stopped lubing my knives because they work just fine without it and I never could tell the difference in operation between a lubed knife and a non lubed knife. I figured, "why bother"?

I'm happier now. Less to worry about.
    Rick T.

Spyderco Forum Registered User brianch's Avatar
    I don't use anything with petroleum. For my knives I use silicone based lubricants. Thats just me though. Last longer and doesnt run off with water.
    LF:Lum Folders!

Spyderco Forum Registered User HotSoup's Avatar
    WD-40 is not a good lubricant and gunks up when exposed to dirt and dust.

The best lubricants and protectors I've used so far are Dry-Lubes for Bicycles with either Teflon and PTFE.

They don't gather dirt like other 'oils'.

Teflon is the Dupont trademark for PTFE.

I have found that Blue Lube and Blue Lube Cleaner work great for most of my knives. If I am using a non-stainless knife, it gets a shot of Fluid Film on the washers and blade.