Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking an Automobile Window

Spyderco Forum Registered User gldfshkpr's Avatar

Breaking an Automobile Window

Wondering something. In an emergency situation (thought about this while watching cold case tonight where a car went into the water) would my Para-Military be able to break the window with the butt of the handle allowing me to escape? I realize this is somewhat of a hypothetical, but one never knows. Have the Spydercos been tested in this regard?
    kb

Stretch
    Para Military

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    Just go to any hardware store and pick up at least two automatic-punches..(the kind that punches a hole in wood when you need to start a nail or screw) they are real cheap, spring ones can be had for under 7 dollars, (pull the top end after pressing the point against the window and streach the spring and let it go) the autos are little more expensive $9-14 depending on the model), but you can set the tension, just press it against the window and presto...put one in each door flap, glove compartment or center console...chances are you'll never need them, but just in case there should be one for the driver and one for the passenger side...no sense smashing a good spyderco into your windows when one of these works great and they are so cheap....I think every car should be equipted with at least one when every auto is sold...but that will never happen cause people will just use them to break other peoples windows when they get mador see something they want in somebody's car which doesn't belong to them. Doc
    Last edited by Dr. Snubnose; 09-06-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User bohica1998's Avatar
    Or you could get an Assist.
    58-1/2 's so far...
    Latest Arrival: C14PBK PE Rescue (Thanx Jeff!)
    On the Way: Nada at the moment

Spyderco Forum Registered User Free Radical's Avatar
    gldfshkpr, I doubt Para Military g10 end will break a car window although I can't confirm it.

HONESTY COMMUNICATION ACCURACY SPEED
    "Spyderco proudly sets the standard in cutlery and other markets by delivering innovative, reliable, high-performance products. We always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. Our success is measured by making money and having fun."

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    IIRC when Mythbusters (not much of a source, I know, but it's the best I've got) tested breaking a car window, just about the only thing that would do the trick was the tools designed for breaking a window.
    It has something to do with applying enough force in a small enough area to fracture the glass. A carbide glass breaker should do just fine, but I wouldn't bet my life on using bare butt of a knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clawhammer's Avatar
    Crims use a sharp point to quietly break car windows (even a philips head screwdriver)...don't use the knife butt, use the pointy end...just place and push (don't jab)

YES. I broke the drivers window of my 1976 FJ40 hanging from the seatbelt with an endura 1 the one with a plastic handle and molded in clip circa 1996. It took a LOT of force and the knife was destroyed but when you are traped in an upside down burning truck long enough to melt the shoe laces out of your boots you can swing a one ounce knife pretty hard. The endura worked alot better for cutting my seat belt than breaking the window but with out it I am 99% sure I would have burned to death hanging upside down traped in my FJ.

Spyderco Forum Registered User flipe8's Avatar
    A window punch is the way to go as you might not have the ability to generate enough force to smash the window. Injury or entanglement might prevent you from getting a good swing.
    usmc1371, you're a lucky guy
    Big time gear snob
    Salt 1
    SFKW sugilite Kiwi
    Techo!
    Byrd Cara Cara II FRN(lives in bunker gear)
    Far too many sold...

Trusting my own experience

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    Its better to use the proper tool and use it in one shot rather than using the improper item several times, taking those precious seconds away in an emergency situation.

But I guess with enough force anything can be used to break something. But I think when your car is sinking or burning you dont want to look around for a hard object in your car, then start smashing the window several times.... And if your not the only one in the car.... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1371 View Post
    YES. I broke the drivers window of my 1976 FJ40 hanging from the seatbelt with an endura 1 the one with a plastic handle and molded in clip circa 1996. It took a LOT of force and the knife was destroyed but when you are traped in an upside down burning truck long enough to melt the shoe laces out of your boots you can swing a one ounce knife pretty hard. The endura worked alot better for cutting my seat belt than breaking the window but with out it I am 99% sure I would have burned to death hanging upside down traped in my FJ.
    An FJ40? That's another collectible... Sorry to hear about that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jay_Ev's Avatar
    I've seen a law enforcement officer strike a car window (side window, not front windshield) 4 or 5 times with a billy club (night stick) and it didn't break.
    <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/user/glassbreakingcap

Actually met that man at a police expo in June. Nice guy. I bought one for my LED stinger and one for the baton.

Spyderco Forum Registered User STi's Avatar
    You could prob modify one to except a windowbreaker/skull cracker.

Maybe we need a new model.

Some good ideas, stories and video. I carry a knife on me always. I trust it to cut through seat belts. I like the idea of that stud on the end of that knife in the photo STi supplied. Maybe Spyderco could make a knife suited toward this end. They seem to have a speciality knife for just about every other occasion. The Jumpmaster is one example. Saving lives isn't an everyday endeavour for most, but being prepared is half the battle.
    kb

Stretch
    Para Military

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The assist model has a retractable carbide tip in the handle. Wearing gloves would be a good idea so the bottom of your fist doesnt get cut.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    I don't know if the butt of a G10 handle could break glass but I know the pointed pommel of the RC3 was designed for breaking windows.

Thanks to Dr. Snubnose, btw. I will definitely go to the Home Depot and pick up a couple of punches.

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    i have broken many windows and i say the window punch is the easiest. add being under alot of stress this would be the way to go. i keep a lil byrd rescue in the if you need to cut the seatbelt as well. keep all the tools within reach and secured so they dont go flying off during the accident.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

I agree that there are much better knives and tools for breaking windows, my problem was I rolled at over fifty miles an hour on a very steep gravle road late at night due to total brake system failure. I would have used my 4 cell mag lite but the bank I hit that flipped the truck rearanged every thing inside so hanging upside down in a dark truck the only thing I could reach was the endura that was cliped to my pocket. All the fancy tools in the world aint worth a squirt of urine if you can't reach them when you need them. Glad I was wearing my all leather danners that night not my nikes.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1371 View Post
    ... the bank I hit that flipped the truck rearanged every thing inside so hanging upside down in a dark truck the only thing I could reach was the endura that was cliped to my pocket.
    This is my thinking as well. I reach for my knife almost everyday in different situations. It's almost to the point of it being a reflex. In a crash like that, I will be reaching for my Spyderco instinctively to assist me and my passengers.

I'm not familiar with the hole puncher. Sounds cool if it could be incorporated into the knife handle.
    kb

Stretch
    Para Military

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    here is one...i say connect it well to your visor,,,very simple to do, just push it against the glass till it pops the window. it is easier to break a window in a corner near the bottom.

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...mentrading.com
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few