Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CQC-10 arrived today (Review with pics)

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar

Arrow My CQC-10 arrived today (Review with pics)

Well this is my first Emerson knife. I love it. In the past I had heard that sometimes they are "gritty" or the fit and finish are not that great etc. Some people say they are not worth the money. I have to admit that I was very skeptical and I wasn't sure I wanted to pay about $160 for this knife but I said "gotta do it at least once" and so I bought a Satin Finish PE CQC-10.

I love it. Tonight I got home from work and I got it out of the box and put it right in my pocket. At first I noticed the clip was a little too tight but I bent it out a tiny bit, and then ended up bending it out too far. I removed the clip and bent it back a tad and now it's all set. The clip is reinstalled and has blue Loctite on the screw threads now.

I am glad I got the satin finish. I got tired of black finishes and needed to go with just a nice steel color. This is a 2009 model so I don't know if the satin finish is different than the older models or not. I like it though. It reminds me a lot of the stonewashed finish that the Benchmade Doug Ritter grips have.

I have tried about 30 different liner locking knives from most of the major production manufacturers. I have tried many locks and usually I don't like liner locks. I have seen personally every folding lock type fail except one. The Spyderco Compression Lock. Out of all the liner locks I have tried there have been only two knives that would allow me to "white knuckle" the handle and NOT have the lock move or unlock partially. One is a Spyderco Military and the other is this Emerson CQC-10. This is truly a badass knife. This will not be my last Emerson.

It's probably THE most comfortable handle I have ever held. I love the thick G10 slabs. They are just like Spyderco in that they are very grippy and have a nice check pattern to them. The liner lock side liner is thicker than the other side.

The one thing I do think is really genius is the 2nd ball detent on the non-locking side of the knife. You can see it sticking out of the liner a little bit. I think this helps keep the knife closed and also keeps the blade centered.

Really just an awesome knife.

Oh.......and I love the jimping on the finger part of the rear of the handle. Feels great.

I'm going to have to work on taking out of my pocket without waving it open. I don't want to wave it open every time. I'm sure it comes with practice.......like everything else.

I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this but.......I think that's how it goes.

Great knife!!!

- - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

More pics......

Sweet Beeeefy Lockup!!!

- - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    Really Nice grinds...super looking...enjoy the new knife...Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Thumbs up

Great looking knife and photos!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on an awesome EDC!

Yep, the "10" definitely is tops of the 3 or 4 designs I really like from Emerson (I know a gun/knife nut over here who has one and loves it to bits!)

The familiar opening "hole", a functional blade shape and grind (none of that chisel grind), good handle ergo's. What's not to like? Nice to hear lock security is right-up there as I'm also not too fond of liner locks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar

Thumbs up

Excellent pics.

Where did you order the knife from?
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar
    Awesome pics Dave, congrats on the EKI, this is one of their designs I could live with.
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    Great knife!
    Plus your dealing with a super nice guy.
    Welcome to the world of quality liner locks!
    Last edited by MCM; 05-20-2009 at 12:46 PM.

More S90v & CF please.......

Spyderco Forum Registered User RobertoP's Avatar

Thumbs up

Great pics
    expecially, in my opinion, the close up of the blade with the DOF going on..

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    Congrats and enjoy David

That sure is one beast of a knife
    Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal)

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge

Thanks for making me the Avatar, Dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User hickster's Avatar
    Nice!
    I got to handle a CQC-10 the other day. It was a black blade, CE. Smooth knife! Seeing your satin plain edge has put one on my "buy list". Fantastic grinds, great overall design and finish. You're right, Emerson has "cracked the code" on the liner lock and put it up there with Spyderco's execution of the design.
    I may have to get one before I commit to one of my "grail" Spyders: A PE, 440V Terzuola Starmate!
    ...but I really want a Starmate.
    hickster

Spyderco Forum Registered User jujigatame's Avatar
    Nothing better than being really happy with a new knife. I think the more you use it the more you'll like it David. I hadn't seen one with the new stonewash finish and swedge cut before. Looks really nice.
    ~ Nate

Spyderco Forum Registered User CombatGrappler's Avatar
    I really like that spear point blade! Their tanto stuff doesn't really do it for me, but that spear point is nice. I might pick one of those up at some point. There are a few more Spydies I need first, though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Simple Man's Avatar
    I'm still keeping my eye on the A100 or Mini A100, it reminds me of the old Terzuolas.

The other Emerson's don't go much for me.
    Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal

Outstanding knife on all fronts. Beautiful.

Many thanks for the close-up pics.

It looks like the thumb hole rim was chamfered. How do you find opening it with your thumb? Does your thumb find as good of a purchase on the chamfered oval as on the sharp rim circular Spyderco thumb hole?

Excellent review. Keep us posted.

oregon

Spyderco Forum Registered User SimpleIsGood229's Avatar
    Very well done, David. Is the CQC-10 chisel-ground? It looks like it, but I can't tell for sure.

Either way, that liner lock does look very nice. Maybe I should pick up one of those Emerson things...
    God Bless Texas!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Excellent pics.

Where did you order the knife from?
    Thanks man. Roger at Knifeworks.com (great dude)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoP View Post
    Great pics
    expecially, in my opinion, the close up of the blade with the DOF going on..
    What is "DOF"?

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    Outstanding knife on all fronts. Beautiful.

Many thanks for the close-up pics.

It looks like the thumb hole rim was chamfered. How do you find opening it with your thumb? Does your thumb find as good of a purchase on the chamfered oval as on the sharp rim circular Spyderco thumb hole?

Excellent review. Keep us posted.

oregon
    Oregon,

My thumb does not find as good of purchase as it does on a Spyderco. It's not really the fact that the oval hole is champfered as much as the hole is kind of buried in the handle. I can open it no problems but it might be an issue with gloves. Plus....I've just been waving it open out of the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleIsGood229 View Post
    Very well done, David. Is the CQC-10 chisel-ground? It looks like it, but I can't tell for sure.

Either way, that liner lock does look very nice. Maybe I should pick up one of those Emerson things...
    The blade has a primary "V" grind that is equal on both sides. However the front is the only side sharpened. SO I guess it's "chisel sharpened". It's not like a CQC-7 which has a completely flat backside.

----more thoughts----

Thanks again so much everyone for the compliments on my review and pics.

There's just something different about the knife. Something that I've never felt in a Spyderco or Benchmade or anything else. It's hefty for sure and it just seems like it is quite "hard use". I mean the blade is the same thickness all the way to within about 3/8" of the tip. I realize that maybe liner locks in general may not be "hard use" and I do realize that the Emerson motto is a marketing tag line. I'm sure there are some smaller lighter Spydies that have stronger locks.

Regardless......just something I can't put my finger on that makes you feel very attached to the knife and want to keep it like a good friend. Weird....yeah I know. I have had similar feelings with Spydies but not like this. Can't really put it into words yet.

- - - -

Spyderco Forum Registered User duff72's Avatar
    Nice choice- I have #14 black blade and carried it for years. mine doesn't have that swedge on top. I like it- hope you enjoy it
    C.O.T.C.O. honorary member

Spyderco Forum Registered User mrappraisit's Avatar
    David, Nice Knife! Good pictures as well.

I think what RobertoP was talking about was Depth Of Field (DOF) A couple of your pictures display DOF, it's when the foreground is blurry and the background is not.
    After enlightenment, the laundry.

very nice!