Thread: What exactly is an Eccentric Pivot Pin?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

What exactly is an Eccentric Pivot Pin?

i have a millie and a paramillie both made in 2006, both S30V and i am wondering if they have Eccentric Pivot Pins. it seems to have something to do with adjusting the lock clearances but im not sure what it really is or how it affects the knife?

An excentric pivot pin allows frontward and rearward adjustment of the blade relative to a liner lock. It's used to adjust for wear in the locking mechanism and to adjust the fit for safe lockup.

The mille does not have an excentric pivot pin - I've had one apart.

The earlier Militaries did have them, the current ones do not. I have a 440V Military that has it.

Others that had it at one point or another were the Lil' Temperance and the Starmate (I think).

I believe that Spyderco discontinued it's use around 2002, but that's just observation and nothing concrete.
    42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...

Spyderco Forum Registered User ClockWork's Avatar
    "Eccentric pivot pin" Patent on Freepatentesonline.com

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6101723.html

clock
    Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
    Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear

Spyderco Forum Registered User vampyrewolf's Avatar
    Eccentric pivots were used primarily on the 440V C36's (2000-2002 IIRC). It was a 12 sided egg-shaped pivot pin that allowed for adjustment over the life of the liner lock. Essentially you loosened off the pivot screw (with the knife closed), pushed the other side of the pivot out enough for the faces to be moveable and rotated a step left or right. Tightened the screw up and cycled the knife a few times to check placement on the lock. Moving it in moved the lock less across the tang. This allowed for a lot of range in behavior if done properly, and an unsafe knife if not done right (as you introduced blade play).

Tolerances were tightened up with the S30V models and removed the need for the eccentric pivot.
    Coffee before Conciousness
    Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
    Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

thanks for all the info guys!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Free Radical's Avatar
    In case anyone needs to know in the future, the green Lums have an Eccentric pivot.

Spyderco Forum Registered User J Smith's Avatar
    As has been said the pin stooped with the 440V Militaries but a very few of the first S30V Milis did have them.I had one.In a Milli if the pivot screw is a torx it should be a excentric pivot.
    0 0
    <
    \____/

Spyderco Forum Registered User Simple Man's Avatar
    Yes, if it has a torx pivot bolt it also has an ecc. pivot, Hex head has a regular pivot.

From Joyce re: Ecc. pivot pins.
    "There was a cross over time where we had started using S30V on the C36 and were still using eccentric pivots. We stopped using eccentric pivots early this past summer and the Military's pivot pin changed then to a "D" nut. It actually came about as an improvement in our manufacturing capabilities. The tolerances on parts used in the older Military were tight but we've gotten better. We installed an eccentric pin so the knife could be adjusted for any tolerances that were not absolutely spot-on precise. With recently upgraded machinery (and a really talented crew) in our plant, we're cutting parts to even closer tolerances eliminating the need for adjustment. Probably seems rather strange, but we're getting better at making 'close to perfect parts'.

Joyce @ Spyderco"

My S30V Millie was one of the first out had it had the Torx head.
    Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Netsquash's Avatar
    Taken out of context I would say Woody Allen... :P