Thread: Older Delica G2 or AUS8

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bam-it's Avatar

Older Delica G2 or AUS8

Which would be better, or is there much difference in the Delica with G2 stainless or AUS8 stainless. Thanks,

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    i really dont know which steel is better but the aus-8's come with the molded fat clip and the g-2's come with the really thin molded clip, if you were going to carry the knife i would go for the aus-8 because of the fat clip, i would assume over the years the steel gets better and the g-2 came before the aus-8, hope this helps even though i didnt answer your question at all
    Last edited by RIOT; 10-24-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Like most questions involving steels Spyderco has used, which of those two is "better" depends on what characteristics are most important to you. According to The Spyderco Story, AUS-8 offers a finer edge and greater resistance to rusting, while GIN-1 (aka G-2) offers greater toughness and a longer lasting edge.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question old versus new

I still own some Spyders with both of those steels. I don't use either one of them much at all anymore. Because there are some excellent steels being used by Spyderco now that sort of make those older steels not so desirable.

I guess you could have this analogy>> Why would you want to drive to work in a Go Kart when you could use a really nicer & newer vehicle which is better in every respect.

But just for the record I always found GIN-1 ( G-2) considerably tougher to sharpen and not easy to keep an edge on compared to like VG-10 or S30V.

AUS-8 to me is so outdated even though it was a decent blade in it's time.. It would be like me going back to a truck I drove 20 years ago versus the one I drive now.

But if I had to pick one or the other I would go with GIN-1
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!