Thread: Someone ripping off Spyderco?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Someone ripping off Spyderco?

I spotted this on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6505020369

I take it this is just a copy of a Spyderco (the seller doesn't even mention Spyderco). Does anyone know if this has been going on for long?

Luke

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Aloha!

DaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamN!!! That looks like a liner locking Pride?!!!

I have seen some China stuff with a hole in the blade, but nothing to this extent!

God bless!
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_A_P
    I take it this is just a copy of a Spyderco (the seller doesn't even mention Spyderco). Does anyone know if this has been going on for long?
    Assuming that it's not yet another Byrd that Sal forgot to mention it definitely is a ripoff of the round hole, and the design sure looks like a liner lock version of the Navigator or Meerkat. Can't say I've seen that particular knife before, but I have seen other Navigator ripoffs. Have a hunch the Delica is the most often cloned. Would bet that better than half the knifemakers in China and Pakistan make or have made one. As for the round hole, that's been ripped off more than once before too. Most egregious example of that recently is the Benchmade 630, a black eye for both Blackwood and Benchmade.

Edited to add: Just looked around the seller's eBay store, he sells a lot of M-Tech stuff. Aside from being total garbage, probably 90% or better of their "designs" are ripoffs to boot.
    Last edited by The Deacon; 01-12-2005 at 04:35 AM.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Looking at the claimed size, 3.5" closed, it seems to be a copy of the Meerkat. The handle profile is virtualy identical. (obviously the lock isn't the same.)

Luke

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nicky's Avatar
    This is obviously not made by spyderco... First the shape of the blade is far from been near spyderco's quality and precision. The blade is also "Tagless" meaning that if it's a spyderco it would be a prototype... Where the heck that guy would have find such a piece and sell it for 15 big bucks!

Finally, with the size I would say that they've try to copy the meekat as Luke_A_P said.
    The social revolution is now a fact. As I've discover, I'm a proteiform. The only question that remain unclear is; Who are you?

Spyderco Forum Registered User fret's Avatar
    Or maybe a copy of the "Pride" unless it is a linerlock?

Most egregious example of that recently is the Benchmade 630, a black eye for both Blackwood and Benchmade.
    Not to start a war on this, but I hate when ppl bring this up. First, Neil Blackwood has been using the 3 hole design for years. Second, why does no one complain when a knife comes out that has a pocket clip (someone invented that you know) or anytyoe of lock that someone else designed? It seems we are quick to call out "COPY ALERT!"

I understand Spyderco has TM'd the use of the spyderhole. But didn't anyone TM the use of the lockback, liner lock, pocket clip, AXIS lock, speedsafe, compression lock, frame lock, etc...blah blah

Sorry about the rant, but I thought everyone was over the "hole" issue. That was sooo last year.

I do not condone the cheap imitation copies out on the bay either, they only give false impressions of what Spyderco is about.

Flame me away now..

Spyderco Forum Registered User Carlos's Avatar
    The ornamental three hole pattern does not infringe on Spyderco's trademark. Using one of those holes as a Round Opening Hole does.

If they had put Blackwood's three decorative holes on the 630 and used a thumbstud or disc for opening, there would never have been a conflict.
    "Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
    - Paul Graham

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Not a flame, just an more general addition to the excellent response Carlos gave on the specific issue of the 630.

Your question includes a list of fairly dissimliar things, but the general answer is that you cannot trademark a general concept, only a specific and visually or audibly distictive instance of that concept. Patents protect the more general idea for a period of time. For example, once upon a time, the first pen company to use a pocket clip may have patented it. After the patent expired, they may have trademarked a particular design or shape of clip. Other companies may trademark other shapes or designs. Not saying Parker was first, but will bet the "arrow" clip is trademarked. The AXIS lock, which you mentioned, is still covered by a patent. When that patent expires, Benchmade may, or may not elect to trademark some specific visual design feature of it, perhaps the shape and/or pattern of the thumb-bobs. I think it's a safe bet that they already have the name AXIS trademarked. As for the Speedsafe, the mechanism almost ceertainly patented, and the name trademarked. Since it is hidden from view, there is really nothing beside the name that can be trademarked after the patent expires, so others will then be able to use the mechanism, but will have to call it something else.

As for it being "sooo last year". If you wish to place a time limit on dishonorable behavior, and forgive it after that limit expires, that is your right and priviledge, but some of us do not.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jimmy_Dean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    Where the heck that guy would have find such a piece and sell it for 15 big bucks!
    Very unlikely since the seller has "three available"
    It looks nice though. Even though it's not Spyderco quality, it will make a nice pocket knife for a person not as educated as we are on the subject. I don't think it's that big of a deal.