PDA

View Full Version : UK TV Spoofs Michael Janich

Dr. Snubnose
04-05-2008, 01:46 AM
This is funny...and yes MJ knows about it....UK TV had to pay permission to use the video footage.....Enjoy and Have a good laugh....Doc:D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2124365354540679127

swingshot
04-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Ah, Angus Deayton, he was the host of a popular satirical news based quiz show... Until he developed a fondness for hookers and coke.

stonyman
04-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Ha Ha...........priceless! Bar through the watermelon!:eek::D

The Deacon
04-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Somehow, I think that plays a lot funnier here in the USA than in the UK. Have to wonder if 10,000 Brits are busy emailing their MPs right now suggesting that having a lug wrench in your car or a ballpoint pen in your pocket while out and about should be grounds for arrest.

David Lowry
04-05-2008, 06:10 AM
LOL.

That's pretty funny.

:D

mrappraisit
04-05-2008, 08:51 AM
MJ - 1
Watermelon - 0

Funny video, thanks for sharing.

quattrokid73
04-05-2008, 01:00 PM
i have to admit when taking the pen thing out of context, it is really funny.

jaislandboy
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
thanks for sharing the video Dr.Snubnose.... the tactical pen followed by the 9mm was my favorite part :D

Agent Starling
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
What a scream! Great spoof, thanx for posting Doc! :cool:

Agent Starling :D

dialex
04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi Doc, thanks for the smile.
I have a great respect for Mr. Janich and I do hope he doesn't feel offended.

Levi
04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Never seen that or the clips in their original context before... but I do find taking a pen out of your pocket and throwing it before drawing the pistol a bit of a waste of time :p.

And why a tyre-iron? I'm sure a screwdriver is more common and lends itself to throwing more?

Forgive me, but I think this guy's a bit of an idiot (I approve of people promoting self-defence with everyday objects, but this guy just seems to bit a bit too far out there).

raven
04-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I believe Mr. Janich is far from "An Idiot". I have several of his MBC DVDs and his CBC DVD. He is in fact one of the best instructors I've seen.

We have to remember, we're only seeing clips of what he's instructing. I believe that pen toss was more of a distraction to draw his pistol .......most probably didn't even know he was carrying a pistol, but were to focused on the fact that he was just throwing a pen at a paper target???

He teaches a lot of "Reality Based" Self Defense Classes and what I understand is one of the best out there and is Very Well Respected In His Field (Also Believe He Taught Some Classes Over At Spyderco). He teaches various classes on defending yourself basically with whatever you have in hand at that given moment. He also teaches various techniques on how to defend yourself in Lethal Force Encounters. So if all you had in hand at that time was a Tire Iron and your life depended on it, well there ya have it.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I Respect and Think Very Highly Of Michael Janich ;) . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-

Levi
04-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I believe Mr. Janich is far from "An Idiot". I have several of his MBC DVDs and his CBC DVD. He is in fact one of the best instructors I've seen.

He teaches a lot of "Reality Based" Self Defense Classes and what I understand is one of the best out there and is Very Well Respected In His Field (Also Believe He Taught Some Classes Over At Spyderco). He teaches various classes on defending yourself basically with whatever you have in hand at that given moment. So if all you had in hand at that time was a Tire Iron and your life depended on it, well there ya have it.

Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

-raven-

Like I say I've never even heard of the guy before, and approve of what he's trying to do (even if I think the chosen clips don't make sense to me), and have only seen what was shown in that clip, so my opinions are only based on that.

I won't withdraw my previous comments, but concede those of you who know the guy better than I do are more qualified to make a valid evaluation.

Take good care all and be safe always.

Michael Cook
04-05-2008, 09:00 PM
:spyder: Michael Janich is an amazing instructor and a great American. 'Nuff said! :spyder:

jaislandboy
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM

We have to remember, we're only seeing clips of what he's instructing. I believe that pen toss was more of a distraction to draw his pistol .......most probably didn't even know he was carrying a pistol, but were to focused on the fact that he was just throwing a pen at a paper target???

He teaches a lot of "Reality Based" Self Defense Classes and what I understand is one of the best out there and is Very Well Respected In His Field (Also Believe He Taught Some Classes Over At Spyderco). He teaches various classes on defending yourself basically with whatever you have in hand at that given moment. He also teaches various techniques on how to defend yourself in Lethal Force Encounters. So if all you had in hand at that time was a Tire Iron and your life depended on it, well there ya have it.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I Respect and Think Very Highly Of Michael Janich ;) . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

-raven-

yeah raven, Mr. Janich is more than well respected ;)
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7111/yojimbo020os4.jpg

Michael Cook
04-06-2008, 08:47 AM
:spyder:From martialbladeconcepts.com
Michael Janich has been studying and teaching self-defense and the martial arts for more than 25 years. He has earned instructor’s credentials in American Self-Protection (ASP – an eclectic art that includes elements of judo, aikido, boxing, fencing and French Savate), the Filipino art of Serrada Eskrima, Joseph Simonet's Silat Concepts and Datu Kelly S. Worden’s Natural Spirit and is a member of the elite International Close-Combat Instructors’ Association. He has also trained extensively in wing chun gung fu, tae kwon do, wu ying tao, Thai boxing, arnis de mano and U.S. Special Forces combatives. Janich is also one of the foremost modern authorities on handgun point shooting and is one of the few contemporary instructors to have been personally trained by the late close-combat legend Colonel Rex Applegate.

Janich served nine years in the U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command, including a three-year tour at the National Security Agency. He is a two-time graduate with honors of the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California (Vietnamese and Chinese-Mandarin) and a recipient of the Commandant’s Award for outstanding linguistic achievement. After completing his military service, Janich was recruited by the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and served as an Intelligence Officer for that agency’s Stony Beach Program in Hong Kong and the Philippines. He also served as an Investigation Team Leader for the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC) and Joint Task Force-Full Accounting (JTF-FA) and has led numerous investigations into remote areas of Vietnam and Laos in search of information regarding American prisoners of war and missing in action (POW/MIA).

Janich is the sole author of six books and co-author of two, including Bullseyes Don’t Shoot Back: The Complete Textbook of Point Shooting for Close Quarters Combat, which he wrote with the late close-combat legend Col. Rex Applegate. He has also been featured in 11 instructional videotapes on defensive edged-weapon use, use of the Filipino balisong knife, the use of throwing weapons, and the use of blowguns. In addition to books and videos, Janich has been published in more than a dozen magazines and newsletters and is a contributing editor to Tactical Knives magazine.

A popular seminar instructor, Janich has presented instructional programs for the world-famous Gunsite Training Center, Datu Kelly S. Worden’s Water and Steel training camp, James Keating’s Riddle of Steel, and Joseph Simonet’s Wind and Rock training camp. He is the developer of Martial Blade Concepts (MBC, formerly known as Martial Blade Craft) -- a comprehensive four-level program that covers all aspects of employing knives as personal defense tools -- and Counter-Blade Craft (CBC) -- a highly effective system of defending against edged-weapons with empty-hand and improvised-weapon tactics. Janich's MBC/CBC curriculum also forms a foundation of skill that is easily transferred to improvised weapons and empty-hand fighting skills and therefore constitutes one of the most comprehensive and practical personal defense programs available today.

Janich is widely recognized as an authority on edged-weapon design and has designed knives for the Masters of Defense knife company, noted custom knifemakers Mike Snody and Wally Hayes, Spyderco, Inc., and Combat Elite. His designs, including the "Tempest" and "Yojimbo" tactical folders and the "Ronin" neck knife, have developed a tremendous following among dedicated knife users.

mrappraisit
04-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Michael - I knew Mr Janich had some serious skills, but DANG:eek: I'm not really into MBC/Knife SD stuff so I didn't know very much of his history. Thanks for sharing that.

The Deacon
04-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Despite Mr. Janich's credentials, I will bet that 99.9% of the people who watched that TV show were blissfully unaware of them. Like it or not, to the average member of the general public viewing the TV show, or the video from it, he comes off looking like the instructor in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKTSwAVaoU) or this guy (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1849202688/ch0010570).

Michael Cook
04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Despite Mr. Janich's credentials, I will bet that 99.9% of the people who watched that TV show were blissfully unaware of them. Like it or not, to the average member of the general public viewing the TV show, or the video from it, he comes off looking like the instructor in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKTSwAVaoU) or this guy (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1849202688/ch0010570).

:spyder: I'm sure that's true, most such people also wouldn't know who Col. Rex Applegate, Audie Murphy, or Alvin York were either. Shame on all of us. :spyder:

Dr. Snubnose
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Anyone who is in the know...knows who MJ is and all about his skill levels...And if you don't, then you shouldn't make comments...and you should take note that the key word (underlined) in the title UK TV SPOOFS Michael Janich is SPOOFS, As I posted before MJ knows of this video as UK TV needed not only permission from him and Palladin Press to reproduce segments from his video, they also had to pay dollars for that permission....I have heard MJ found the video to be quite amusing...I know I did!
and I had a good laugh...and i'm sure Michael laughed all the way to the bank....I posted the video not to dis MJ in anyway as I have deep respect for him and his abilities...As he is a regular contributor to this forum, and just an all around super nice guy, and most here know of him, I thought some would enjoy laughing at one of our own. If anymore negative comments are made in this thread about MJ I will delete this thread faster than you can say "Making it Stick".....Doc:D

David Lowry
04-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Never seen that or the clips in their original context before... but I do find taking a pen out of your pocket and throwing it before drawing the pistol a bit of a waste of time :p.

And why a tyre-iron? I'm sure a screwdriver is more common and lends itself to throwing more?

Forgive me, but I think this guy's a bit of an idiot (I approve of people promoting self-defence with everyday objects, but this guy just seems to bit a bit too far out there).

I think you're a bit out of line.

I've been to one of his classes and I can tell you first hand that he is one guy that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an ass kicking from.

He's very deceiving. What he looks like and what he knows are two different things. He just looks (to most) like a regular guy that's going bald. The ones you cannot tell are tough.....are the "sleepers". They come out of the woodwork in bad situations.

Of the people I know in person and online, if I had to pick only 3 to go to street fight with or into a bad situation with me (to be on my side) I would be picking Mr. Janich and KaliGman. Next in line would be Dr. Snubnose and my buddy Jacques from work (a Muay Thai Shootfighter).

WOTANSON1
04-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Ah, Angus Deayton, he was the host of a popular satirical news based quiz show... Until he developed a fondness for hookers and coke.

Ah, all the good ones get caught with hookers and coke, Deayton, Hasselhof, Charlie Sheen.....:D I own one of Janich's MBC tapes, it's great, very common sense kinda stuff and well thought out.

Cheers,
Rob