Generational Classifications: Do You Identify?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Generational Classifications: Do You Identify?

Post by James Y »

Which do you belong to, and do you feel that you fit the stereotypes? It seems to me that the birth years that are used to define each generation were arbitrarily chosen:

The Greatest Generation: 1901 -1927

The Silent Generation: 1928 - 1945

Baby Boom Generation: 1946 - 1964

Generation X: 1965 - 1980

Millennial Generation (Gen Y): 1981 - 1996

Generation Z: 1997 - 2010

Of course, there are truths in the classifications. But personally, I think there is also a lot of nonsense to it as well. Some examples:

* Not everyone born in "The Greatest Generation" were great people.

* Many of the cultural icons, attitudes, and societal shifts that are attributed to "Boomers" were actually brought about by people who were of the so-called "Silent Generation." Example: Most, if not all of the members of the top '60s rock bands who were often considered subversive at the time were born pre-1945. And the producers behind them were born a couple of generations before them.

* Many of the cultural characteristics that members of Generation X claim to have been unique to them growing up were experienced by late-era "Boomers" (like myself).

So are there really such clear demarcation lines between the generations where one can take/be given credit for the good accomplishments of some, or be villified/blamed for the negative effects of others?

Nowadays, it's popular online to see "OK, Boomer" when some young person presumes another's age to mock them. OTOH, every generation has had those who mocked previous generations. People from the Silent and Boomer Generations did that to previous generations, too.

Although generations change, overall, human nature in probably the majority of humans is slow to change. Most of the young people who rail against the older generations will almost invariably become that very same rigid-minded old man or old woman that they once complained about and mocked.

There have always been smart, strong-minded people, and people who were the complete opposite of that, IN ALL GENERATIONS.

Do you identify with the characteristics ascribed to the generation you happened to have been born into?

Jim
Ankerson

Re: Generational Classifications: Do You Identify?

Post by Ankerson »

Personally I believe it is all just a pile of..... Well you know. ;)

Every generation believes the next generation is subpar somehow. :eye-roll

And those from the newer generations who think they are superior to the older generations. :eye-roll

I take people as they are on an individual basis, everyone is different.
Hic et nunc

Post by Hic et nunc »

Although generations change, overall, human nature in probably the majority of humans is slow to change. Most of the young people who rail against the older generations will almost invariably become that very same rigid-minded old man or old woman that they once complained about and mocked.

There have always been smart, strong-minded people, and people who were the complete opposite of that, IN ALL GENERATIONS.
The focal point is this, when what you said no longer happens, it will be the end.
And the way I see it, we're not generationally going in a good direction.
When the mother wants to be a sister/friend to her daughter and the father wants to do things like a teenage child because he can do them today, it will be a big problem for subsequent generations, in doing so there is a lack of a family and stereotypes that are right or wrong to follow.
I don't know what will happen in the future (but as I wrote in another post)Sometimes I feel like I'm 80 years old and not 52, I feel like I'm hearing my grandfather talk, all this is not normal at 52 years old, everything has changed in a short time! in 25/30 years the world has changed.
Still proud of my generation!!
I use a translator :bug-red-white
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I guess I'm gen X, but I seem to only get along with people who are 45 years of age or older, so no, I don't seem to fit into the stereotype of my generation. I was born a couple generations late it seems.
Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:31 pm
I take people as they are on an individual basis, everyone is different.
This is undoubtedly the best way to look at things, although there certainly are some prevalent patterns during different generations. Otherwise I wouldn't get along with older people as consistently as I do. Or all the older people just tend to have a more solid understanding of life than the younger people, and so they are the ones that I enjoy being around, who knows.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm a Gen X by birth and a Roosevelt's Rough Rider by spirit!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A Most interesting subject matter. You hear these labels for the generations being thrown around a lot in conversations recently. I think that there is a case to be made that most of the people who lived through the World War II era may have been the toughest generation this country was ever blessed with.

It's been my personal experience that most of the people born after the year 2000 have a lot to be desired. It seems like that entire generation are nothing but cell phone addicts, computer game addicts along with being extremely lazy for the most part. When you've got people so lazy that when they go to the grocery store or to Rip-Mart they have to have drive up, online service when they are more able bodied that I am is truly sad in so many ways. I just turned 70 and I've never used any of those services ( nor will I). Oh sure there are exceptions to every rule for these younger generations but that's been my personal experience for the past 10 to 15 years.

Most of my closer friends were born in my generation or the previous generation. I just can't relate to people who live mostly for their cell phones. And it gets worse as time goes on.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

My brother and I are Baby Boomers. Baby Boomers only refers to the number of people born in hose years. Birth rates were BOOMING.

I try to remain aware of new healthcare, computer and communications technologies, services, and players in the market. I'm a true American and eat a wide variety of foods. I rarely drink anymore, and now that I am on Ozempic I'm eating just once every day or two until I drop 50+ lbs.

I guess I am getting old though. I prefer people not have tons of tattoos, hoops in their noses and posts/pins in their faces when I deal with them. Give me a gas car too, and get off my lawn!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm
A Most interesting subject matter. You hear these labels for the generations being thrown around a lot in conversations recently. I think that there is a case to be made that most of the people who lived through the World War II era may have been the toughest generation this country was ever blessed with.

It's been my personal experience that most of the people born after the year 2000 have a lot to be desired. It seems like that entire generation are nothing but cell phone addicts, computer game addicts along with being extremely lazy for the most part. When you've got people so lazy that when they go to the grocery store or to Rip-Mart they have to have drive up, online service when they are more able bodied that I am is truly sad in so many ways. I just turned 70 and I've never used any of those services ( nor will I). Oh sure there are exceptions to every rule for these younger generations but that's been my personal experience for the past 10 to 15 years.

Most of my closer friends were born in my generation or the previous generation. I just can't relate to people who live mostly for their cell phones. And it gets worse as time goes on.
I'm back home living with my 84yr old mother, I'm 64 and we use delivery for most supermarket items. We order just 2x per month and as long as it is over $100 it is FREE DELIVERY, because we paid $60 for the year-long program. We do not have a car right now and taking an Uber for that purpose would be a hassle. I probably take Uber 2x a day and with tips, it adds up!

New car incoming! :party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm
Yep, this is why I can't typically get along with people my age.

-- Old Norse proverb
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm turning 61 tomorrow, which makes me a so-called "Boomer." But I don't really like people knowing my B-day. 🤫

I also take people as individuals and judge them by their behavior. However, the people I share the most in common with (obviously) tend to be people ranging between the ages of around 70+ down to around 42. That's pretty natural for most people. Although I can generally get along with almost anyone who's also easy enough to get along with. But I'm clearly most compatible with the above-mentioned age range.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sun May 05, 2024 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 2:51 pm
I'm back home living with my 84yr old mother, I'm 64 and we use delivery for most supermarket items. We order just 2x per month and as long as it is over $100 it is FREE DELIVERY, because we paid $60 for the year-long program. We do not have a car right now and taking an Uber for that purpose would be a hassle. I probably take Uber 2x a day and with tips, it adds up!

[/quote]

Naperville:

Wishing you and your mother the best. Much credit to you.

I was the categiver for my mother starting from when she was 84, until she was 93. The last year 24/7. Being the sole caregiver for an aging parent is definitely not for the weak of heart, but now I'm glad I was able to do it.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

People born after my generation have dog poo for brains. I guess that identifies me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Definitely Gen X!

It’s interesting how the continued, deliberate propagation of division in our societies develops.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I will be 39 next month. I guess I'm technically a millennial.. but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows me that hasn't called me an old man at some point. I often find that I have more in common.. interests, hobbies, musical tastes, life philosophy, etc.. with the older crowd. I've joked for years that I'm transgenerational because I do not identify as a millennial. I suppose that statement is about as millennial as it gets though haha..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:47 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 2:51 pm

Naperville:

Wishing you and your mother the best. Much credit to you.

I was the categiver for my mother starting from when she was 84, until she was 93. The last year 24/7. Being the sole caregiver for an aging parent is definitely not for the weak of heart, but now I'm glad I was able to do it.

Jim
[/quote]

I am officially taking a day off. I have a ton of calls to make, cleaning to do, etc.

My mother broke her ankle about 10 days ago and I have been sleeping in hospitals and the rehab clinic. Being on ozempic has helped! I don't have to eat the hospital food.

:party-face

A ton is going on. Too much to discuss. This is a very difficult situation. Dealing with social workers, doctors, nurses, uggg, quite the headache.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:52 pm
I guess I'm gen X, but I seem to only get along with people who are 45 years of age or older, so no, I don't seem to fit into the stereotype of my generation.
Gen X is approx. 44+, so that sounds quite right.

I never think of generational stereotypes in my own relations. There are people who impress me and inspire me from every generation, but the opposite is also true.

However, when analysing behavioural patterns on a large scale these labels make more sense. On a macro level there will be noticeable trends between generational divides, just as we find with other demographic categories.
benben

Post by benben »

Born in 1965, so technically Gen X.

Got to be a kid in the seventies and eighties and it was awesome! Stayed outside from sun up to sun down, learned to build and fix things, then break them and fix them again! I was turned loose with both a chainsaw and a Marlin .22 lever rifle at the age of 12, and used them both daily after school. My dad had 18 acres and I cut dirt roads all through his property, at the age of 12 I could literally drive anything, it's sad that kids today don't know what a straight drive is, much less drive one!

I rode my bike everyday 12 miles to baseball practice, ran laps, suicides, more laps, got screamed at, ran some more and then rode my bike those same 12 miles home to get back and finish up MY chores! Guys I could go on and on!
Last edited by benben on Wed May 08, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

benben wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:52 am
Born in 1965, to technically Gen X.

Got to be a kid in the seventies and eighties and it was awesome! Stayed outside from sun up to sun down, learned to build and fix things, then break them and fix them again! I was turned loose with both a chainsaw and a Marlin .22 lever rifle at the age of 12, and used them both daily after school. My dad had 18 acres and I cut dirt roads all through his property, at the age of 12 I could literally drive anything, it's sad that kids today don't know what a straight drive is, much less drive one!

I rode my bike everyday 12 miles to baseball practice, ran laps, suicides, more laps, got screamed at, ran some more and then rode my bike those same 12 miles home to get back and finish up MY chores! Guys I could go on and on!
Without totally revealing my birth year, I can say I barely made the X generation with a similar margin, but in the opposite end of the spectrum.
Even with our 15-ish years of age difference, I share a similar memory of my youth. It was a good time indeed. I grew up in the suburbs, so no shooting .22s around the house, but airguns were abundant and I got my own 20 gauge shotgun and went hunting hare and birds from around 11-12 years age.
Days were spent mostly outside, even - or maybe especially in the middle of winter. Sledding skiing and building snow caves and castles. And to get around, we always had to use our own feets. Parents weren't driving their kids everywhere like nowadays.
There's no denying that being born at the tail end of the X gen, TV and computer games was making its way into our lives, but it wasn't all-consuming like the screens are today, so we still managed to spend most of our time outside.
I do my best to pass some of these skills and habits on to my kids, but there's a limit to what can be reasonably achieved. They have to be allowed a level playing field with their peers, so ultimately they'll still be a product of their time, but with some added baggage.

doing it old school with the new gen. Skiing 4 miles to a make shift range, carrying all our equipment and freezing our behinds off. Train like you hunt :winking-tongue
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:21 am
Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:52 pm
I guess I'm gen X, but I seem to only get along with people who are 45 years of age or older, so no, I don't seem to fit into the stereotype of my generation.
Gen X is approx. 44+, so that sounds quite right.

I never think of generational stereotypes in my own relations. There are people who impress me and inspire me from every generation, but the opposite is also true.

However, when analysing behavioural patterns on a large scale these labels make more sense. On a macro level there will be noticeable trends between generational divides, just as we find with other demographic categories.
Wow, I feel like an idiot, I totally wrote the wrong letter! I meant to type Gen Z. That might shed a little more light on why I don't get along with people my age, ha ha!

-- Old Norse proverb
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Boomer.
I remember Eisenhower running for president.

Here's a little jingle kids were chanting back then:

"Ike's in the White House talking on the phone, Nixon's in the dog house chewing on a bone."

Yeah, we were all little political zombies even back then.

Oh and the official word on the planet Jupiter: it was all ice.

They liked ice back then, eagerly awaiting the coming Ice Age.