Question about lanyard holes.........

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dijida

Question about lanyard holes.........

Post by dijida »

I'm wondering how many people use a lanyard on a pocket knife. To me, it's a useless ugly hole that in many cases interferes with the position of the pocket clip so the knife cannot be deep carried. A lanyard is useful on a fixed blade for retention when chopping and hacking; on a folder a lanyard is just bling.

sal

Re: Question about lanyard holes.........

Post by sal »

Hi Dijida,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I use lanyards on smaller knives to extend the grip, but mostly I use them on all folding knives to make it easier to extract them from my pocket.

I make all of my own from paracord.

Team Lanyard Hole for me.
Brian
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

On knives I carry for outdoor activities that aren't already hi-viz (e.g., a Salt with yellow handle), I put a loop of blaze orange paracord through the lanyard hole to make it easier to find the knife when I inevitably drop it in the underbrush. So I do use the lanyard hole some times.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

rangefinder wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:55 pm
On knives I carry for outdoor activities that aren't already hi-viz (e.g., a Salt with yellow handle), I put a loop of blaze orange paracord through the lanyard hole to make it easier to find the knife when I inevitably drop it in the underbrush. So I do use the lanyard hole some times.
^^
This
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I do not use lanyards but I can see some utility in them for people who like them. The lanyard hold doesn't bother me at all.
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

I'm glad I sew this thread because I have a bit of an annoyance with my new Military 2. I absolutely love the Compression Lock and ability to carry tip-up but I hate the clip not being centered on the scale (while in tip-up position) and it's because of the huge and IMO useless lanyard hole. I wish the lanyard hole was replaced with a screwed together standoff in a different location so the clip would be more centered.

The way I flick the blade open with my middle finger makes me use the clip as a spot to hold onto with my other fingers and it's awkward/uncomfortable to do so on this model. It also creates a bit of a hot spot in certain grips. I'll live with it but think it could be better.

And to answer your question, I agree lanyards are mostly useless on folders, especially medium to large folders.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I use them on a few of my knives but most of the time I dont use them. However I really prefer having them. I would rather have the option and not need it than need it and not have it.

I dont care about deep carry, theres also aftermarket clips that solve this. Rarely does a handle shape become inconvenient by incorporating one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't use lanyard holes on folders, but I don't mind their presence. I also don't require that a folder be deep carry, and in fact I prefer to have a bit of handle sticking out to make extraction easier.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Never used one on a folder, but I’m not ruling it out as useless yet, and I don’t mind that the hole is there.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

dijida wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:46 pm
I'm wondering how many people use a lanyard on a pocket knife. To me, it's a useless ugly hole
Yup. The hole diminishes from the aesthetics of the knife. Blech.

Sometimes you can take a non-lanyard pocket clip and install it on a lanyard-holed knife, improving the looks of the knife on one side.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dubya3,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dijida wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:46 pm
I'm wondering how many people use a lanyard on a pocket knife. To me, it's a useless ugly hole that in many cases interferes with the position of the pocket clip so the knife cannot be deep carried. A lanyard is useful on a fixed blade for retention when chopping and hacking; on a folder a lanyard is just bling.

Welcome to the forum, dijida!

I personally almost never use lanyards on a pocket knife, tried it only once on a Tenacious (actually more a fob, I think that is what it´s called in English - so kind of a "long not" to grab onto).
Did not bother me, but did also not really add anything to the functionality.

I do use lanyards on fixed blades of Esee 6 size and larger, as you say in hacking and chopping they help.

That said:
I think it is a good thing Spyderco puts lanyard hole on almost all of their folders!

- Those hole never bothered me on any Spydie ever, also not concerning the pocket clip position (admittedly though I like "shallow" - and don´t like deep carry)

- So I am happy for those who want a lanyard, and there are reasons for that, I guess:

1.) Lengthening the grip area on very short folders
2.) Lanyards can help to make knives more secure in hand and prevent dropping them where one does not want to (on a boat for example) - either by having a loop around the wrist or even attaching the knife to a belt loop or whatever
3.) Some folks even like fobs in the lanyard hole for aesthetical reasons

On ONE particualar Spydie I´d actually make use of the lanyard hole:
Military (1): If (no, WHEN ;) ) I get another one, I will come up with some tip up solution by mounting a pocket clip into that lanyard hole.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 pm
I don't use lanyard holes on folders, but I don't mind their presence. I also don't require that a folder be deep carry, and in fact I prefer to have a bit of handle sticking out to make extraction easier.

... and put the finger closer to the opening hole when one draws the knife (carried in tip up position)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikestp

Post by mikestp »

I personally don't use them. I can see how they might be useful to retrieve a knife but I'm yet to experiment with that.
I would never use a lanyard to extend the grip area... I refuse to buy a knife that can't accommodate a four finger grip.
My preference is that the clip location be prioritized over the lanyard hole. Some knives such as the PM2 I find the larger hole is actually a nice aesthetic feature even if I don't use it.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I use a lanyard on knives only when in the boat so there's no chance of dropping them into the water
Ocho

Post by Ocho »

All of my folders have lanyards for two reasons.. 1st and most importantly, my job requires i wear gloves year round, and since most of my blades ride deep carry clips, it would be almost impossible to pull my blade without taking off my glove if it weren't for the lanyards. Combined with a zip-tie mod for auto-deploy, I can easily and quickly pull a fully deployed blade in one quick motion without even thinking about it.
2nd-ly.. most of my lanyards have tritium beads for locating in the dark. I spend alot of time at away from home terminals. Different hotel room every night. And nothing is more comforting than waking up disoriented in a strange room, pitch black, and seeing that lanyard bead glowing on the nightstand next to me.
Screenshot_20240425-112236_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240425-111936_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240425-112003_Gallery.jpg
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Tool lanyards are often essential on job sites at elevation when there is no situation where it is okay to drop a tool. They are handy in any scenario where loss of a knife would result in a negative outcome. They aren’t there just to be annoying. Spyderco makes quite a few knives without them.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I only care about lanyard holes when they cause the pocket clip to be positioned awkwardly.

I had never considered using a fob to increase the visibility of a dark-colored knife, but I will from now on! My first will be safety green on a new Jumpmaster 2.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

I don’t use them because lanyards take on moisture, food debris and what have you with a serious user making it harder to clean but I’m glad they include the lanyard hole. If one does want to remove the clip for any reason it is a good attachment point to keep the knife secure in various situations. Fishing and hiking come to mind. It does affect clip placement so that issue is understandable for those who it affects.