Good second Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joelc73

Good second Spyderco

Post by Joelc73 »

Hi all,

I’m new here. I just picked up a Pacific Salt 2 for boating and really love it. Now I’ve got the bug and want an EDC.

What’s the right second knife? I was looking at a Delica 4 SG or maybe Para 3. Would love any recommendations. Thanks!
sal

Re: Good second Spyderco

Post by sal »

Hi Joel,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I'm a huge fan of the para 3 in s90v and also the Gale Bradley 2 in M4. Both are very nice knives and amongst the best edcs spyderco offers. They have a lot of options though so scroll through Blade hq and Knifecenter and see what jumps out at ya. Good luck!
Stay sharp!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Delica 4, plain or fancy, every time, all day long, etc., etc.. Still the best.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joelc73 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:37 pm
Hi all,

I’m new here. I just picked up a Pacific Salt 2 for boating and really love it. Now I’ve got the bug and want an EDC.

What’s the right second knife? I was looking at a Delica 4 SG or maybe Para 3. Would love any recommendations. Thanks!
Welcome!

- I know both the Delica and the Para 3 and for me it would be the former, no doubt.
But definitely the ffg, not the sg version.

- What speaks for the Para 3 in your case though is that it would give you more "new" features to try compared to your Pac Salt:
The comp.lock, a fingerchoil, G10 with liners (if you opt for that), thicker blade.
If I personally wanted to try all of those features though I´d take the Sage 5 LW over the Para 3 (ok, the Sage LW has FRN - and not G10 scales)

Now: Why for me Delica over Para (remember, that´s just me and what I like!)?

- Lighter (The Delica with its liners is still a hair lighter than even the linerless Para LW)
- Thinner, slicier, but still easily strong enough blade
- For me (!) better ergos and a longer grip area on the actual handle
- Slimmer carry
- Backlock (which I prefer over a linerlock).

What I´d suggest though: For an univeral EDC go a bit larger:
The Leafjumper or Endela (for me both definitely in SE) would be great options.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Great suggestions guys. Wow, there are a lot of options! I’m glad I found this forum.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum . I always suggest if possible to handle different models at a show or a store . There have already been some nice suggestions my thoughts go towards an entry level Manix 2 Lwt . Model is light , strong lock , gives you variety with your Salt . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 pm
Welcome to the Forum . I always suggest if possible to handle different models at a show or a store . There have already been some nice suggestions my thoughts go towards an entry level Manix 2 Lwt . Model is light , strong lock , gives you variety with your Salt . MG2

+1
The "base" BD1N Manix 2 LW would be a great choice and you could choose between black (or even all black) and the cool translucent blue variant
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:09 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 pm

+1
The "base" BD1N Manix 2 LW would be a great choice and you could choose between black (or even all black) and the cool translucent blue variant
Third vote for a Manix 2 LW but I might recommend SPY27 for a steel, a step up from BD1N but still affordable.

If you looking for a smaller knife then you can’t go wrong with a Native 5 LW or Para 3 LW, both 3” blades. They actually have an really cool limited run Para 3 that I have been wanting to get from the Knife Joker in Cruwear that might be worth looking at.

https://www.theknifejoker.com/product/s ... lain-edge/
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Joelc73 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:37 pm
Hi all,

hi joel,

you've got water environments covered with the salt, so i'm guessing your other would be for more general use. depending on the context - house/office, farm/outdoors, all purpose etc. - you'll get different recommendations, but those will and should be inflected through the lens of your preferences. i'd suggest offering more details about what you like, and don't, and how you imagine using it. budget is also a major consideration. you'll get 400 different recommendations regardless, but it will help a little

I'm not the biggest advocate of either the delica or para3, not because they're 'bad' but because i like others more. for the para3 in particular, it's kind of a huge 'small' knife, so the way I see it is unless you value a robust 'big little knife' in a 3" and under municipality, i'd personally just go for the para 2 every time instead. the delica is a classic and the handle in particular is superb, but personally i just prefer other designs more functionally and aesthetically

for general purpose small knives, i'd go with the dragonfly or chaparral. for a rock solid take-all-comers knife, i'd go for the gayle bradley 2, among the very best knives spyderco makes. but this category is gigantic and you'll have no shortage of options, which is why it really comes down to your preferences
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Native chief, military /military 2, police 4, endura.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

This is all super helpful. Except now I want to buy five more knives!

I’ll use for general purpose. Cutting boxes, rope, etc. I wear jeans and shorts a lot - so I need something that would fit in my pocket.

I’d like to spend $125-150
Last edited by Joelc73 on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

Delica 4 is always my first recommendation to people.
It is a great knife in a small package.
It is my most often carried knife although Sage 5 is catching up and native 5 is slightly more behind.
Manix 2 LW is great too but also takes great amount of room in the pocket.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Delica is a great user knife. There are many different versions but I'd tend to get the basic Delica FFG. There is also a salt series Delica called the "Salt 2" if you want it to be rust proof like your Pac Salt. The wharncliffe blade versions of Delica and Salt 2 were recently discontinued and there are some good sales on those. I could see this being useful for boating: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP88FS ... rn-handles
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

For many reasons I tend to consider the calypso/caly line as the pinnacle line of “in-house” spyderco edc pocket knives. Practically, obtaining one currently isn’t the easiest for the average buyer though. But if you *get* the design they’re worth tracking down
:bug-red-white
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sounds like you are looking for something smaller than the Pacific Salt? Probably in the 3" range?

If so, the Delica is certainly the little brother to your pac salt. I find the Para3 cramped, but love the Sage series. Native5 is another good option that screams utility IMO. Chaparral is pocket perfection.

Here's and old comparo pic I took...

Manix2 LW, Sage 1, Native5 LW, Chaparral, Dragonfly2, Delica4
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Welcome Joel, if possible try to get your hands on some of the models previously mentioned and get what feels best to you…trust me on this - there most definitely will be a third 😉
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

While I love the Endura/Pac Salt the UKPK has kicked the Delica out of my pocket. If youre new to knives and want something around 3" the Native 5 LW and UKPK are both a strong choice. They're just so easy to disassemble and service, and also come in a wide variety of steels. Neither take up much room in the pocket and are light enough for all clothing.

If you don't need a hard use knife for everyday tasks I'd take a hard look at the UKPK in Spy27 or S110v. Great value for the steel you're getting, and literally disappears in you pocket. Don't let the word slipjoint scare you, with the finger choil it's nothing like using the Victorinox or Case knife that scarred you for life as a kid.
Skar

Post by Skar »

The Delica 4 is fantastic knife.
Para 3 lwt right there with it, more often I carry the Delica. So easy and fits the roll of daily life, even with work.

The native is okay but the Delica fits me better.
Hope you enjoy whatever you get.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Police 4 LW K390 SE.

That is all 😉
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut