MangaSlice - The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Librarian

Post by Librarian »

00.PNG

I had considered attempting to come up with my own unique steel compositions, but just wanting to do so doesn't mean that you have something unique to offer. However, spending all this time on writing about different knife steels eventually led to a series of epiphanies about possibilities in steel design that have not yet been explored.

Epiphanies

Early powder metallurgy stainless steels used high chromium content (17-20%) for corrosion resistance in combination with vanadium for wear resistance. These included steels like S60V, Elmax, and M390. However, these steels have relatively low toughness from the relatively coarse microstructure that results from a large percentage of chromium carbides. Non-stainless powder metallurgy steels like CPM-4V, CPM-3V, and Vanadis 8 have smaller vanadium carbides only which give them a superior combination of toughness and wear resistance. The small, but very hard, vanadium carbides, offer superior wear resistance for a given amount of carbide. And less carbide means higher toughness. Crucible later developed steels like S90V and S30V which had less chromium (14%) for less chromium carbide which improved properties relative to the higher chromium stainless steels. The corrosion resistance was not necessarily reduced when compared with the higher chromium steels because only so much of the chromium is 'in solution' to contribute to corrosion resistance. Somewhere in the range of 10-13% in solution is common, with the rest tied up in carbides. Which means a stainless steel can be developed with only about 10% chromium as long as all of it is in solution after heat treatment.
Actually, it could be a little bit less because some of the steel is carbide. If the steel has 10% carbide, that leaves 90% matrix, so the 10% chromium could end up being as high as 11.1% in solution (10 divided by 0.9).

I found that if I kept the carbon content into a relatively narrow range, a sweet spot would be found where there would be enough carbon (for hardness) and chromium (for corrosion resistance) in solution while also having a combination of hard vanadium and niobium carbides for the optimal balance of wear resistance and toughness. At least, according to the software.

Requirements for the properties of new steel

1. Wear resistance and toughness at the level of CPM 10V and K390.
2. Corrosion resistance at the level or just above the S45VN and M390.
3. Hardness 60-64 HRC.

Composition
1.PNG
1.PNG (3.51 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
The composition of MangaSlice is not particularly complicated. The nitrogen and niobium additions help make the steel a bit better but it could have even been made without significant additions to those elements. The main challenge was in balancing the carbon and chromium to ensure sufficient hardness and corrosion resistance while also dissolving the chromium carbide at a reasonable heat treating temperature.
32781540_25341.png
32781540_25341.png (9.16 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

Hardness

The hardness of steel primarily depends on the amount of carbon dissolved in austenite when heated.
The carbon content in austenite reaches 0.4-0.5 %. MangaSlice can reach relatively high hardness, over 63 Rc without cold treatment, and over 64 Rc with a cold treatment, even reaching 65 Rc.
32781612_28257.png
Wear resistance and toughness

The wear resistance of steels depends on hardness and to a greater extent on the type and volume of carbides: the larger the share of carbides and the more hardness of carbides, the higher the wear resistance.
The toughness is also strongly connected with the volume of carbides: the smaller the share of the carbide phase, the higher the toughness.

From the point of view of comparison with other steels, Mangaslice, as expected, is very similar to the CPM-10V and K390 in terms of toughness and wear resistance. In all these steels there are only solid vanadium carbides in the amount of 12-13%.
The toughness and wear resistance of the Mangaslice is higher than that of the S45VN, M390.

Corrosion resistance

The Pitting Resistance Equivalent Number (PREN) exceeds or equal to indices of steels such as S45VN and M390. Surprisingly excellent corrosion resistance to Mangaslice is due to the lack of chromium carbides compared to other stainless steels. Chromium carbide leads to the formation of locally impoverished areas of chromium surrounding carbides, since carbides are formed due to the removal of chromium from the matrix.

Summary and Conclusions
11.png
image121180.png
ASMR MangaSlice is the result of my passion for knives and steel. I used a new approach to stainless tool steel design to eliminate chromium carbides from the microstructure. This led to a combination of properties which is better than previous stainless knife steels, and has similar toughness and edge retention to non-stainless steels like CPM-10V, K390 and Vanadis 10. The corrosion resistance was also excellent, even better than I was expecting, which means that the hardness-corrosion resistance balance of MangaSlice is very impressive, with achievable hardness being 64+ Rc and corrosion resistance being even better than steels like S110V, S45VN, and M390.
Steel has limited availability and is so far available in my sick imagination.
Deadboxhero

Re: MangaSlice - The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

Post by Deadboxhero »

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”- Charles Caleb Cotton 1820
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Surely diaphanous scales will be available on the first sprint run with a whole new design coming out of Golden. But they can only heat treat the metal during an eclipse, so they have temporarily moved some equipment down to Texas in order to take advantage on April 8 and will do a mass one time batch. And people thought XHP was hard to come by....
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

kriezek wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 pm
Surely diaphanous scales will be available on the first sprint run with a whole new design coming out of Golden. But they can only heat treat the metal during an eclipse, so they have temporarily moved some equipment down to Texas in order to take advantage on April 8 and will do a mass one time batch. And people thought XHP was hard to come by....
I heard it was being released tonight at midnight and only available for 24 hours
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 pm
Surely diaphanous scales will be available on the first sprint run with a whole new design...

A new design?
Is it the one with the revolutionary tiger-claw-lock everyone is talking about?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Honestly can't wait for WaifuWear to drop. Such an exciting time in steels we get to live in.
Last edited by Fastidiotus on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

MangaSlice is a little bit too anime for me, maybe MagnaSlice would have been a better choice.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Librarian

Post by Librarian »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:47 am
Honestly can't wait for WaifuWear to drop. Such an exciting time in steels we get to live in.
I don’t understand how you found out about my secret development? Maybe I should update my tin foil hat, it's old and probably not working properly. Okay, I'll tell you a little about her.
1.PNG

This will be a great super-steel!
2.PNG
2.PNG (8.59 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
The wear resistance of this steel will be greater than that of CPM-15V and at the level (or even slightly higher) of REX121. The content of hard and wear-resistant vanadium and niobium carbides is about 24-25%!
3.PNG
Corrosion resistance and hardness (63-65 HRc) are excellent, same as MangaSlice. Of course, the impact strength of WaifuWear will be relatively low, but this is the price to pay for wear resistance. You can always choose MangaSlice if you want a steel with a little more toughness.
Last edited by Librarian on Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

You should offer this to Rockwell Industries for their Turbo Encabulator. It could solve the issues they have with the pre-famulated amulite. No more side fumbling of the lunar waneshaft!
Brian
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's it, I'm officially out of the loop when it comes to the new hype steels. I can't do it anymore guys, I can't understand this future.

From today, I'm going with 1075 only for all creation and uses and will stick to that. **** animetals.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Flash

Post by Flash »

Rumour has it it can cure arthritis and make you more attractive to the opposite sex!? 🤯
Screw Magnacut I want me some of this!

**** shame it’s only for sale for one day, I do hope Spyderco buys enough to make some PM 2 Sprint runs…
olywa

Post by olywa »

Just looking at the edge without protection will cut your cornea.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Hopefully we can get the Spyderclaws in this one. Adamantium was pretty meh.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

This thread was the chaos I needed today. Thank you Dr. Librarian.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Anyone manage to score on the Spyderco Magnascus Spork drop?
Screenshot_20240402_054858_Facebook.jpg
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Knowing that most people here will understand this post brings me joy.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm
Scalpers were too fast
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm
Site wouldn’t load again
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I think it would be a cool novelty gift if Spyderco did make the SpyderSpork.

I'd buy one if it came on a G10 Para 3 handle. Smaller than the PM2. Still easy to clean construction. Could slap a reblade on it if I got tired of the fork.

Does anyone have any experience with Gersh Blades?
https://www.gershblades.com/product-pag ... ilable-now
Attachments
image.png
- Richard