Serial # stamp/laser engraving on tang of Manix??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studiousworkman

Serial # stamp/laser engraving on tang of Manix??

Post by Studiousworkman »

Hello everyone,

I received my Manix 2 lightweights in Magnacut not long ago. I noticed that both knives have a laser engraving/etching/stamp etc. whatever you want to call it on the tang of the blade. Does anyone else have this stamp on there's?? You are able to notice the letter/numbers when slowly rotating the blade closed or open. Maybe this is a serial number or something? Unless it's a first production run exclusive letter/numbering system? I'm very curious. I don't remember seeing these on any of my other Manix'es.

Both of mine read:

1. 9-23 B
2. 9-23 A

Thanks for your time everyone. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Happy Resurrection Day!! Jesus IS Risen!! Hallelujah!! :star-struck :grin-big eyes :preying
Pokey

Re: Serial # stamp/laser engraving on tang of Manix??

Post by Pokey »

Yes, I’ve seen that on my Spyderco tangs, too. I have an unscientific theory that the blades were made in September of 2023 on the first, (A,) and second (B) shift.

Manufacturers (not speaking for Spyderco) will use codes or markers in their products to document when it was made. If there’s a defect they can find the rest of the run and fix it or scrap it.

I used to sew woven Kevlar material that came on 12’ wide rolls. Each roll had a red, green, or blue “runner” thread that ran down the entire edge. The three colors told the manufacturer what shift the material was woven on. We did find some material that didn’t meet expectations and the manufacturer helped us sort out the defective rolls and they replaced them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Some Spyderco Golden knives have the date of manufacture hidden on the tang under the scales. Sometimes it is partially visible on the Manix 2 when rotating the blade. Otherwise, it can only be seen when the knives are taken apart.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Studiousworkman

Post by Studiousworkman »

Thank you Pokey and Doc Dan! I greatly appreciate the feedback! All the best.