Manix 2xl

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoeS

Manix 2xl

Post by JoeS »

Just received manix 2 xl in black dlc. Knife is is not heavy, action of lock is smooth, though not as fast as an axis lock. Definitely want to keep it, but if you are thinking of getting one, you should know it really is xl, lol! It is long, not thick, but the closed width from spine to back of handle is very wide. It takes up a lot of pocket space and may not be a first choice for an edc knife. Just an FYI for anyone who has not seen one in person and is only shopping from website.
Michael Janich

Re: Manix 2xl

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JoeS:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

I have a KC Manix Xl in Cruwear and smooth G10 that I got in a mystery box. I’ll admit, photos of this knife online were not enough to warrant a purchase for me. After receiving mine however, it is a favorite carry. It’s size and heft are perfectly balanced, and work well for me clipped in stiffer/ thicker pockets such as work pants and jeans. This isn’t a knife I clip to gym shorts.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Still really wishing for an LW FRCP version of the XL - made just like the Manix 2 LW.
I am sure the linerless construction would still be easily rigid and sturdy enough also for the a bit larger format.

If extrapolating of how much lighter the Manix 2 LW is than the Manix 2 G10 (versions with skeletonized liners!), a Manix XL LW should come in at roughly around 100 grams / 3.5 oz.
Not bad at all, and I would definitely get and try one.

Since I don´t mind width in pocket (but rather length in pocket) in carry it would be not too bad too.Closed length just like a Chief, but if they kept the positioning of the pocket clip a shallower carry, so actually shorter IN pocket.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoeS wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:03 pm
Just received manix 2 xl in black dlc. ....

... and welcome to the forum, Joe!! :smlling-eyes
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum.

I had two M2KL's but I sold them. My hands are wide and thick and that hook on the pommel irritated my little finger when I used them. The regular M2's hook is not so pronounced and I can kind of ride it. Otherwise, I really like that XL.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:39 pm
Welcome to the forum.

I had two M2KL's but I sold them. My hands are wide and thick and that hook on the pommel irritated my little finger when I used them. The regular M2's hook is not so pronounced and I can kind of ride it. Otherwise, I really like that XL.
Doc, if we´ll ever see an FRCP linerless Manix XL I wonder if you could modify the very prononounced hook in a way that would make the handle fit for your hand... I know, the options here are somewhat limited, cause that hook is needed to cover the far end of the blade when the knife is closed.

But I just watched the disassembly vid linked below, and there should definitely be some wiggle room for grinding off a bit of that hook, so that really wide and thick hands get not that cramped... ?

Such a "grinding off" is of course less of an option with the linered G10 shown in the vid (one would have to grind the metal of the liners and the G10), but with linerless FRCP this could be a different story - ?

(Actually I meant just post a link and not to embedd the vid - the "new forum" though did this automatically... ;) )

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:12 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Doc, if we´ll ever see an FRCP linerless Manix XL I wonder if you could modify the very prononounced hook in a way that would make the handle fit for your hand... I know, the options here are somewhat limited, cause that hook is needed to cover the far end of the blade when the knife is closed.

But I just watched the disassembly vid linked below, and there should definitely be some wiggle room for grinding off a bit of that hook, so that really wide and thick hands get not that cramped... ?

Such a "grinding off" is of course less of an option with the linered G10 shown in the vid (one would have to grind the metal of the liners and the G10), but with linerless FRCP this could be a different story - ?

(Actually I meant just post a link and not to embedd the vid - the "new forum" though did this automatically... ;) )

I know it is hard to get past the brown fingernail polish on that dude, but once you do, it is easy to see that there is no easy means of taking down that hook on the standard XL. However, as you note, if they had a linerless FRCP version, the first thing I would do is grind that sucker off. Then, it would be perfect. I would love to have that knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

I know it is hard to get past the brown fingernail polish on that dude, but once you do, it is easy to see that there is no easy means of taking down that hook on the standard XL. However, as you note, if they had a linerless FRCP version, the first thing I would do is grind that sucker off. Then, it would be perfect. I would love to have that knife.
Yeah, the fingernails... :eye-roll ... but let´s just say "to each their own"...

/ With an FRCP Manix 2 XL it is even harder for me to guess if this would be a success or not than it is with other potential Spydie-variants anyway.

I figure what people perhaps don´t like in the G10 XL is the weight (this would go down substantially with the FRCP, to most likely noticeably less than for example a PM 2 weighs in), the clip placement (this could be changed in an LW) and the wide footprint in pocket (this would stay the same).

So an FRCP XL could potentially become a really popular, hard use outdoor and real-work folder and a great option for those who love the Manix 2 LW but sometimes want more cutting edge (I do... :smirk ).
The CBBL is not only a really strong and no-play lock, but also makes for great ergos (no cutout in the handle required) - perfect for really bearing down on a larger knife.

Don´t know.
What I know: Of course it would be quite an investment (and by that also risk) for Spyderco to make the FRCP molds and go through the designing - and prototype process...

But, again: I personally would really like an FRCP XL.
Quite often I am about to grab my Manix 2 LW, especially when hiking or mountaineering, but then in the end decide against it cause I want more cutting edge. An FRCP XL would give me just that!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, the fingernails... :eye-roll ... but let´s just say "to each their own"...

/ With an FRCP Manix 2 XL it is even harder for me to guess if this would be a success or not than it is with other potential Spydie-variants anyway.

I figure what people perhaps don´t like in the G10 XL is the weight (this would go down substantially with the FRCP, to most likely noticeably less than for example a PM 2 weighs in), the clip placement (this could be changed in an LW) and the wide footprint in pocket (this would stay the same).

So an FRCP XL could potentially become a really popular, hard use outdoor and real-work folder and a great option for those who love the Manix 2 LW but sometimes want more cutting edge (I do... :smirk ).
The CBBL is not only a really strong and no-play lock, but also makes for great ergos (no cutout in the handle required) - perfect for really bearing down on a larger knife.

Don´t know.
What I know: Of course it would be quite an investment (and by that also risk) for Spyderco to make the FRCP molds and go through the designing - and prototype process...

But, again: I personally would really like an FRCP XL.
Quite often I am about to grab my Manix 2 LW, especially when hiking or mountaineering, but then in the end decide against it cause I want more cutting edge. An FRCP XL would give me just that!
I agree on all points. As to the cutting edge, it would not hurt my feelings to see the knife get the Rock Jumper treatment so there is a full cutting edge.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I like the xl just the way it is. Fits my large size hands perfectly. Great knife
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:30 am
I like the xl just the way it is. Fits my large size hands perfectly. Great knife

I totally believe you!
Must be an amazing, solid feel in hand when using the G10 Manix XL!

... but just like with the Manix 2, practically speaking I personally would definitely prefer a lightweight in day to day use.
Actually I also admire how sturdy and rigid the Manix 2 LW feels in hand too (though of course not like a G10 with liners!) and I think this would not change in the not THAT much larger XL handle..

I think this knife really deserves to get an option also for the more "lightweight" guys (it would still weigh about 10% more than an Endura, even in linerless FRCP anyway).
AND: I also think the CBBL itself deserves actually MORE than "just" one more variant (which the FRCP Manix XL would be)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Great knife, if you like large folders. Which I do.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:24 pm
Great knife, if you like large folders. Which I do.
Agree on both points. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau