Any news on the Kapara slipjoint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Andrea Bianco

Any news on the Kapara slipjoint?

Post by Andrea Bianco »

It has been awfully quiet on any news regarding the slipjoint and the smaller version of the Kapara... I was really hoping 2024 would be the year for it.
sal

Re: Any news on the Kapara slipjoint?

Post by sal »

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to our forum.

The Kapara Slipit is in-the-works right now.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ooooh…
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Double oooooh!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Very exciting!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Matus

Post by Matus »

That sounds VERY cool!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Replying to signal my interest as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

THAT's interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I outgrew slip joints when I left Boy Scouts and I really have no need or desire for a slip joint knife. The Kapara is such a nice design that I may consider overlooking the undesirable ship joint factor if this is made… I’ll have to see it before I’m sold on it though..
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would have an interest in a Kapara slip joint , sounds very interesting.MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This thread needs pics!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:33 pm
This thread needs pics!

If the Spyderco version is modeled after this version, it would take a unique place in their SlipIt lineup.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I would rather be interested in a smaller Kapara with a liner lock.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:33 pm
This thread needs pics!

That's a little big for a stormtrooper UK legal slipjoint
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am
I would rather be interested in a smaller Kapara with a liner lock.

As always:
A linerlock Kapara has my full and enthusiastic support!!
(Would not actually have to be smaller for me though, but I have to admit: An a bit shorter linerlock Kapara would still be compelling: The platform offers just so much cutting edge for the size and I think if not too much shortened the handle would still be long enough)

That said: I am really glad for all who would/will enjoy it as a slipjoint and/or can´t carry a locking folder legally! :smlling-eyes

One question though:
If a slipjoint Kapara is held behind the choil and folded accidentally: Would the fingers still be protected by the choil hitting first, or would the edge hit the fingers, since the blade part of the choil is so short?
Can´t really tell by looking at the pics.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am
[
That said: I am really glad for all who would/will enjoy it as a slipjoint and/or can´t carry a locking folder legally! :smlling-eyes

One question though:
If a slipjoint Kapara is held behind the choil and folded accidentally: Would the fingers still be protected by the choil hitting first, or would the edge hit the fingers, since the blade part of the choil is so short?
Can´t really tell by looking at the pics.
First of all thanks from across the border - a premium SlipIt will be much appreciated over here in Germany.

As far as I know, this picture shows a custom knife that Sal might base his version on. I'd expect him to modify the design here and there though and am excited to see what he comes up with eventually.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benja-man wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
First of all thanks from across the border - a premium SlipIt will be much appreciated over here in Germany.

As far as I know, this picture shows a custom knife that Sal might base his version on. I'd expect him to modify the design here and there though and am excited to see what he comes up with eventually.

Sure, man! :clinking-mugs

I am sorry for the imo stupid knife laws over in your country (I actually live very close to the German border and cross it quite frequently) and of course want you to still have good, legal choices!

(Actually they are talking about imposing much more restrictive knife laws here in "free" (concerning knives) Austria too... I am worried... :( )

/ And, right, I am sure Sal / Spyderco will make a Slipjoint Kapara that is perfect and safe!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

benja-man wrote:

That's the original Kapara Custom from Alistair Philips. I haven't been able to see much recent news on his website and they are no longer on offer, otherwise I might have seriously considered purchasing one by now.
As I also live I Germany (near the lake of Constance btw Wartstein) this and the Magnacut UKPK are somethin I am really looking forward to.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am
benja-man wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
(Actually they are talking about imposing much more restrictive knife laws here in "free" (concerning knives) Austria too... I am worried... :( )
I saw there was some drama concerning Joe X and a push from some of the public and/or the authorities (according to him) to take away his knives and firearms, and he’s from Austria if I understand correctly. Maybe not at all related to the “talks” you’re referring to, but together it forms an impression that the public opinion on knife carry is becoming less understanding, even in Austria, and that there may be influential actors in the bureaucracy pushing for stricter knife laws.

I hope they don’t succeed and that you’re able to keep your current, sensible knife laws.
It’s comforting for me to know there’s at least one safe haven of common sense here in Europe, where I can seek refuge if our own government becomes too ridiculous :)

Either way, if the production version of the slipjoint Kapara closely resembles the original, I’ll be getting one. I never connected with the OG Kapara, but the slippie was love at first sight