Your Experiences with Votix Dragonfly Scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chronovore

Your Experiences with Votix Dragonfly Scales?

Post by chronovore »

Hi! With the Dragonfly being an EDC MVP, whether as a primary or secondary carry, I finally decided to get the S30V model. I'm just not sure that I'm man enough for the pink scales. So I've been looking at other options (besides just dyeing them).

Flytanium makes some cool titanium scales. A big deal with these is that they apparently upgrade to washers and I've heard good things about how that influences the action and lock-up on this little knife. Of course, they also boost the weight by a significant percentage. I'm not sure if it will actually matter to me or not, and I'd have to try them to see just how much the carry status of this knife for me is size versus weight.

Votix makes Micarta and carbon fiber options that look great. From what I can tell, they have gone through various quality and fit upgrades since they first started and the current product is better than it has been. However, I've seen complaints that simply running the blade against the scales like the stock FRN version hurts these as an upgrade. I'm much more interested in their current carbon fiber scales but I'd really like to probe the community here first.
Peruna1998

Re: Your Experiences with Votix Dragonfly Scales?

Post by Peruna1998 »

Slow service and not good materials. I have a set of “blue” scales for a dragonfly that are more grey. They have a very fabric-y texture. It took five months for delivery.
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

I agree with Peruna. Good materials, good fit and finish, but don't expect a quick turn around. It took several months for my order to arrive. I'll do business with them again.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Thanks for the replies so far. Between the turnaround time, including them still not getting back to me on a message I sent before starting this thread, and the washer question; I pulled the trigger on some Flytanium scales. I hope to get a chance to try them soon but my schedule has been absolutely insane.

The CF Votix scales are still interesting, but not sure if I'll do it. (I have a few Dragonflies.) Given the more straightforward approach to knives with liners, I might try their Micarta whenever the Sage 5 in SPY27 drops.
fixall

Post by fixall »

You already know my experiences with both the older Votix CF scales, and the Flytanium titanium scales from over on BF…. But I have heard that Votox has made some good improvements.

I think you’ll really enjoy the flytanium scales. I love mine. One thing to note is that some of the dragonfly models actually come stock with washers, such as the V-Toku2 version.