Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Palestrina

Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Post by Palestrina »

Hello all!

First I need to introduce myself, since this is my first post.

My name is Bernhard, I'm from a small European country named Austria. I've been into knives my whole life, roughly 35 years by now, but I've been interested mostly in traditional designs and manufacturers - so my collection is predominantly composed of Opinel knives, Nontron knives, Otter knives - all the old stuff. I also own a Buck 110 and 120, and I got interested in GEC knives - only to quickly find out the effort going down that rabbit whole is too much to bear from outside the United States.

Lately I've been interested in more modern designs, I've been looking around the web, checking out the few shops in my surroundings - searching for a modern EDC with good quality as well as personality, preferably manufactured in Europe or the United States.

I've looked at Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT, all the big brands nowadays, and I became stuck on Spyderco, because out of all the competition this brand has some specific design elements shining through on most of their models, which ist something I really appreciate.

Spyderco knives are really expensive here in Europe (260€ or 285 US dollars for the PM2 for example), and I haven't found a single store to check them out before buying, so I will have to order one and hope for the best.

I'm left handed, so I got my eyes on the Military series, since they offer 2 left handed models, and the Native Series, specifically the PM2 left handed and the Native 5. Maybe even the Manix? Or the Military left handed - which seems to be quite big for EDC - though luckily here in Austria we don't have any restrictions for folding knives. Maybe the Police 2?

What would you guys recommend to a left handed European jumping from traditional slipjoints into the modern world of Spyderco knives?

Thank you guys in advance!
First Spyderco, March 2024 - Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
sal

Re: Recommendations for a European traditionalist

Post by sal »

Hi Bernhard,

Welcome to our forum.

Getting our knives into European countries always presented challenges, though there are a few sources. One of our regulars here is from Austria and perhaps he will chime in with more information on availability?

Left handed specific models are not always available. Our models are somewhat unique, but my suggestion would be to get a simple Delica, which is common, ambidextrous and quite poplar. This will give you an introduction into our company. Carry it and use it for several weeks, come back here and share your thoughts.

sal
crayon

Post by crayon »

Euro leftie here; all my knives are righthanded and the righthanded compression lock works really well once you're used to it! You can't go wrong with the PM2 or 3 as an introduction to spyderco.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

In my limited experience Austrians like the endura and chaparral. (You will meet our resident Austrian, Wartstein, presently I'm sure).

You can't really go wrong with any of the models you mentioned. The native and para military families are available in different sizes and steels, although as a lefty you are far more limited with the compression lock knives. I would recommend the native or manix since their locks are ambidextrous so you won't be as limited in your choices.
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

sal wrote: Left handed specific models are not always available. Our models are somewhat unique, but my suggestion would be to get a simple Delica, which is common, ambidextrous and quite poplar. This will give you an introduction into our company. Carry it and use it for several weeks, come back here and share your thoughts.

sal
Wow, I did not expect an answer from the founder of the company himself -this is something we wouldn't see here in Europe, I really appreciate it. I'm somewhat familiar with your company, your Sharpmaker is keeping all my blades as well as my wifes cutlery in shape! I will check out the Delica for sure, looks like a great EDC for my job.

Thanks a lot!
crayon wrote: Euro leftie here; all my knives are righthanded and the righthanded compression lock works really well once you're used to it! You can't go wrong with the PM2 or 3 as an introduction to spyderco.
I couldn't even get used to liner locks, it still feels unnatural to me. I prefer ambidextrous designs, and I'm really into backlocks since I first got my Buck 110, which sadly is a little too bulky and heavy for everyday use. But I have to say, PM22 and PM3 both look really appealing.
Notsurewhy wrote: In my limited experience Austrians like the endura and chaparral. (You will meet our resident Austrian, Wartstein, presently I'm sure).

You can't really go wrong with any of the models you mentioned. The native and para military families are available in different sizes and steels, although as a lefty you are far more limited with the compression lock knives. I would recommend the native or manix since their locks are ambidextrous so you won't be as limited in your choices.
You basically confirmed my thoughts, ambidextrous designs seem to be the right choice. The main issue is, I'm jumping in just now, so there are so many models I find quite interesting that I'm afraid it might lead to discussions with my wife about how many knives I really need :winking-tongue Native, Delica and Manix seem to be great options, but as you might expect, a locking mechanism like the one featured on the Manix is something I have never used, or probably even seen.

I'm going to check Knives and Tools, an Online Dealer in Europe annd see what they are offering at the moment.
First Spyderco, March 2024 - Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:13 pm
In my limited experience Austrians like the endura and chaparral. (You will meet our resident Austrian, Wartstein, presently I'm sure).

This Austrian does indeed like those models a lot and I am actually pleased to meet a(nother) fellow country man! So welcome, Palestrina! :smlling-eyes

I am a bit in a hurry right now so just let me ask you:
Where in our beautiful country do you live exactly (you can send me a pm of course if you don't want to disclose details here)?

Perhaps I could lend you some of my Spydies so you can try them out and get a feel for what you like.

/ One more thing:
It might be a while till you can chat here again, since when one is new here follow up posts get moderated for a short while and won't show up immediately plus the forum will not be available from about 4 pm "our time" tomorrow for 50 to 60 hours (gets moved to another server).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Palestrina wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 pm
My name is Bernhard, I'm from a small European country named Austria. I've been into knives my whole life,

Welcome, Bernhard from Austria.
We have another gentleman from Austria here, and he's an ok sort of bloke. I'm from a small city in a small county in a state on the West Coast of the U.S., and I'm also left handed. There are two features of most Spydercos that I find very appealing. The first, of course, is the Spydie Hole. It allows for comfortable one-handed opening. The other feature that I like is the Spydie Hump. I often hold the knife with my thumb on the spine, and the hump provides better purchase.

For operation in the left hand, I'm really a fan of the Caged Ball Bearing Lock found on the Manix 2 knife. A close runner-up is Spyderco's back lock, as found on the Delica, Endela, Endura, and Police. They're similar knives, but each one represents a different size. You might want to check them out.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome, Bernhard!

I would echo Sal here, however I would add that the Native 5 is an excellent alternative to the Delica if you prefer something made in the United States.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Here's a couple of safe websites where you can buy the knife once you'll know which one you want :)

Lamnia
Knivesandtools
CoutellerieTourangelle
knifestore.nl
CouteauxCenter
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I'd definitely consider starting with either a back lock or ball-bearing lock (which currently is only on the Manix 2) if you can't put one in your hand before buying. Those are fully ambidextrous knife designs, and personally I also think Spyderco's best designs happen to come in these lock types anyway. Of the back locks, the Native 5 is far and away my favorite, and a contender for what I consider the best folding knife ever. If I could only recommend a single knife to someone to try from Spyderco, I'll always start with the Native 5.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum from a lefty member . There are many knife suggestions posted that will serve you well . I have a lefty PM2 and the Military and grateful they are available . I would suggest to go into the gallery section , there is a thread called knife in hand . Pictures could possibly aid you what may work or appeal to you . I’m envious about the possibility of meeting Gernot , I highly respect him and his useful comments . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bernhard, I am an American of Austrian and Irish decent. Good to have you here in the forum.

Military, Manix, and Police 2 are big knives and I like them very much! Don't forget to check out the Native Chief!!!

Don't forget that the Spyderco Forum is going offline on the 13th. It may be down for a bit.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome!

i will always suggest the manix for lefties. it's a great, modern design with the ability to mod and make it yours. it happens to be my favorite pocket knife design, but i'd recommend it even if it wasn't because i think it fits your criteria well.

check out this thread...
viewtopic.php?t=93971
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Welcome! Your compatriot, Wartstein (Gernot), is THE MAN to answer all of your Spyderco questions, and more! If you travel west-north-west, then it's Ramonade.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since you already have a sharpmaker, one thing I´d definitely recommend is getting a serrated Spydie!
It would also be a step on the way of "trying something different to "traditional" knives"

In my use good, shallow serrations work better (or at least not worse) in almost any folder task than PE, stay sharp a lot longer than PE and will still somewhat "cut" when actually dull (where PE would be pretty much useless), are a a bit easier and quicker to sharpen than PE and effectively offer more cutting edge than in the same blade length in PE.

A very good and affordable choice here would be the VG10 Endela SE.
Sturdy built with liners, but still light, roughly PM2 cutting edge (just a tad less actually) but slimmer carry, great, totally ambidextrous backlock.

If you want to venture close to the Military size:
Stretch XL SE in VG10 (also good in PE of course):
Almost Millie blade length, but lighter, shorter and slimmer carry and to me the "edge profile" I prefer: Not a continuous curve over the whole edge, but a long, straight section before a substantial short belly. And also a backlock.

Of course the Manix you mentioned is also a "can´t go wrong" knife (no SE version tough).
I´d recommend the LW version over the G10 version - much lighter, but feels really solid, and again would probably be more like "trying something different to traditional".

Sals recommendation of the Delica in my view is the best if you look into that smaller size range.
What speaks for the Delica compared to other smaller Spydies: Thinner, but still strong blade, long actual handle area and a very evolved, tried and true design.
Make sure you get an ffg (and not sabre grind) version and you could also get the "sibling" Salt 2: Pretty much the same, but lighter (no liners), almost completely rust proof and the blade is actually a hair longer (and the handle a bit thicker).

If you want to go one step smaller: Chaparral. One of the greatest folders ever in my book.
Thin and slicey blade (2mm), supersolid built, best backlock I am aware of, and is both a gents but also "hard use" knife (can really take a beating, also the thin blade, I did test that... :smirk )
Here you´d have the choice between very practical an grippy FRN handle scales or more "classy" materials like wood or carbon fibre...

That said: Keep in mind, this is just wher I personally am right now in my already pretty long Spyderco-journey. I have narrowed down to quite a detailled degree what I like best but found that out only through trying quite some designs, locks, blade shapes... so I think you can´t go wrong with almost any Spydie you start with, you´ll have to find out what you like best for yourself anyway...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Hi Bernhard,

Welcome to the forum, I am from your neighboring country but I, quite regularly, travel to Vienna. I can recommend Lorenzi shop Siebensterngasse 41, 1070 Wien - I was able to purchase Manbug in K390 there on sale of 75 eur last year. If you would have possibility to travel to Brno City in Czech Republic, there is quite a good shop called Mujnuz (my knife) or Kapesni Noze. They do have some selection of Spyderco knives including Left Handed versions.

Of course there are quite a few members of Forum who are from beautiful country of yours, reach out to them as they already offered you to do so.

Enjoy your time here.

Pavel
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Hi Bernhard

I’m from the country most confused with yours Australia. As Sal said, start with a Delica and go from there. Probably my most carried knife when I want a no hassle, won’t cry for a week if I lost it knife.

Funny we have a special area in our post office in Sydney that receives most of the international mail, for Austrian mail that was sent to Australia mistakenly ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:13 pm
In my limited experience Austrians like the endura and chaparral.
I seriously wonder what the background of this statement is and what distinguishes Austrian preferences for pocket knives from other nations? Maybe I'm a little too superficial, because after almost 20 years here in the forums and especially after 64 years of life in Austria, I have not yet found out.

Bernhard seems to be a nice guy and if he lives in my area (ich bin aus Niederösterreich), I can possibly help him, because I own one or the other Spydie ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Cadenno

Post by Cadenno »

Welcome to the forum.
I live in Switzerland, just a few minutes from the Austrian border.
In addition to the excellent advice other forum members have already given you, I might also suggest the Byrd line, which is less expensive than Spyderco, but still of excellent quality. They are ideal for trying out some designs very similar to the Spyderco classics, but having less trouble explaining the cost to uncondescending wives ;)
I don't have as large a collection as many here in the forum, but I am available if you want to try some Spyderco or Byrd.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Welcome, Bernard.

It looks like you may have an opportunity to check a few in person. That's the best option when available. I'm right handed, but can left hand open/close the compression lock such as the PM2 and Yojimbo. I just use my left thumb to release the lock instead of my right index finger. It may be worth checking if you get the chance. And, if you're used to left handing a 110 backlock, a mid handle backlock may be even easier. If you tend to do a drop shut when closing, check first which part of the blade may touch a finger, whether choil, ricasso, or the edge. Different designs land differently. It's all good, just nice to know. Spyderco has a huge variety. Welcome to the explorations.