Any recommendations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
uralpilot

Any recommendations?

Post by uralpilot »

As a very young boy hanging out with the bikers in my area, one gifted me a Buck 110. Carried it for 20 years. MyLady in 1988 Christmas got me a Spyderco Huntsman and I carried that until 2010. Was gifted a Harpy. And now, at age 68 arthritis is enjoying my hands. So I moved both Spyderco's on to people I knew would use and enjoy them. I tried about 50 other knives to no avail. Nothing is working. Either too heavy, cumbersome, hard to operate or liner lock. (I am not the most graceful of animals). So I am back to Spyderco. I need something light, easy to use but not too big. Any direction would be welcome. I would prefer a USA or Japan made, but know nothing about the quality of the others.
sal

Re: Any recommendations?

Post by sal »

Hi Uralpilot,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your arthritis. I too, Carried Buck 110 when they first came out and a Gerber Folding Hunter as well. I ended up modifying both of them. But I'm older than you are. If you would be so kind as to let us know what size range (blade length) suites you, our very astute group here can probably give you some good advice. We make a lot of models.

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Uralpilot, you don’t like liner locks and arthritis makes fine manipulation difficult. If I have that right, may I suggest the Stretch model? The mid-back lock is easy to unlock and the blade has a strong closing bias, so it won’t open in your pocket, nor will it fail to close fully when you close it. The handle is beautifully shaped for a secure grip based on shape alone, and the FRN molded scales also have a texture designed for secure grip in hand.

There’s even an XL version if you prefer a longer blade.
uralpilot

Post by uralpilot »

Thanks guys! I am looking for a smaller blade. 2"-2.5". Yes, a mid back lock is preferred.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Uralpilot,

We make knives; UK Pen Knife (3.0") Urban (2.5") Squeak (2.0:" that are slip-joints (Slpit) Quite easy and convenient to use. No lock to fuss with. Safety features so you don't cut yourself. Just a thought to share.

sal
uralpilot

Post by uralpilot »

Thank you Sal......the UK Pen Knife is looking pretty good! Time to save up! Maybe will sell a kidney and afford the V110! LOLOL Seriously, thank you!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If your locale permits it, a fixed blade may eliminate your ergonomic struggles with locking mechanisms.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Check out the Dragonfly model. It’s small like you said, and has a mid back lock.
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I know you said 2-2.5 inches, but a Native 5 is only a bit larger at 2.95 inches and is about as perfect as a back lock folding knife gets in my opinion. The actual cutting edge is just under 2.5 inches, the rest is the forward finger choil that I think will make the knife easier to handle overall if you need to change grips. Made here in the USA from their Golden, CO factory. Edit - It's the knife in the image at the top of this forum, in fact.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum, Uralpilot!

Actually I am not entirely sure what to recommend:
Both the Spydercos you had already do have a mid backlock, and you say you moved those on when Arthritis became an issue.
Was this because with arthritis (or the kind of you unfortunately have) the locks became to hard to operate?
If so, I am not sure why another mid backlock is your preferred choice - ?

Don´t get me wrong, Spydercos mid backlock IS my absolute favorite locktype!
But if it did not work for you anymore in for example the harpy, this will not be significantly different in another mid backlock Spydie, right - ?

I would recommend something like a Sage 5 LW (a bit longer blade though than you say you want) with its comp.lock - but then you hint that you already don´t like linerlocks, which imo are even easier to operate than comp.locks.

So, long story short, my personal recommendations:

- If you want a mid backlock and a light, small knife with still a roomy handle:
Delica or, even lighter, Salt 2 are the obvious choices. Especially the reasonably thin and slicey blade is a big plus here plus the extremely evolved design.

- Actually though I think Sals recommendation of the UKPK is perfect imo.
NO lock that could be cumbersome for your arthritic hands, and one will hold the knife with the finger in the choil anyway, so it is perfectly safe, unless one performs some really unusual and weird stabbing tasks with the handle held very backwards or something like this.
My choice here would definitely be a serretad one, I know that the "Salt" offers this (don´t know if any other version too).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Dragonfly...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:01 am
Dragonfly...
But is this actually easy to operate with arthritic hands? Or perhaps cumbersome right BECAUSE it is so small?
I honestly don´t know.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

The Delica is always comfy for me and the backlock isn’t very stiff to disengage yet hold sit very tightly closed in the pocket. My other vote would be the paramilitary 2. I find it large handle very comfortable and the compression lock would be great for arthritis
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It's hard for a random joe on the internet to visualize exactly how your arthritis interferes with lock operation, so outside Sal's recommendation of omitting the lock altogether, you'd be better off going to a knife store and try before you buy. If such a store exits in your area.

Side note: I have a Harpy so I dived into my knife drawer to compare some knives.
The Harpy is on the stiff end of the spectrum, so other mid backlocks may be easier to operate, but it wont be a night an day difference. If your Harpy is the stainless steel version, other backlocks with different scale materials will provide more traction which would again ease operation to some degree.
Of the ones I compared the Harpy to, I think I would give the edge to the Rock Jumper / Leaf jumper. A very hand filling grip with good traction and very smooth operation. The cut out for the lock bar is a bit deeper than most and it omits the boye dent which combine in a very positive operation that doesn't require much finesse and dexterity. The knife is slightly over 3" though.

Except for maybe a button lock, I don't really think there is another lock that's will be obviously easier to operate.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Try a Roadie Slip Joint with a 2.1” blade, one ounce, made in Italy for about $63. Comes in various colors. Current blade steel is N690 but it’ll become a much better M398 soon.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

In the 2" to 2.5" range I recommend a Lil Native. It comes in a back lock, but I think you might want to try the compression lock because it would be easy for your hands to operate, I think. Either way is a win.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Also look at the Lil Native slip joint. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 am
Also look at the Lil Native slip joint. MG2

Second that, matches very much what you (OP) are probably looking for:
- Blade length
- US made
- No lock to operate, but knife definitely alway held with one finger in the choil, so safe enough without a lock
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I don't have severe arthritis, so this is conjecture, but I would imagine something like the roadie would be hard to hold and manipulate due to its thin size and proportions. I would expect a chonker would be better to hold and use, and a high hump vice sleek recessed blade would be easier to grab on to to open the blade. As far as locks, the liner and compression access are likely niggly to access and manipulate with arthritis. In the blade size, I would think, if a back lock doesn't work, the little native slippit would be just about ideal. The uk penknife is great, but is quite slim at the pivot. I think the lil native would give more to hold on to. If all of my conjecture is close to the mark.

But take all of this with a grain of salt, as thus far my small degree of arthritis is more annoying than affecting my day-to-day.

Cheers
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Backlock Lil Native (not the compression lock model) or Dragonfly. The little Native is a little more substantial, Dragonfly is very lightweight.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal